The Education Forum

ANGLETON And The COWBOY

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jewish News Syndicate make no mention of Angleton's blind eye non-reporting of the stealing of weapons-grade uranium from NUMEC to facilitate Israel building its first nuclear weapon by 1967.  As Jefferson Morley wrote, Angleton thought collaboration with Israel was more important than U.S. non-proliferation policy under JFK.

Boy howdy! Definitely deceiving by omission.

Maintaining the rank of counter-intelligence chief for more than two decades, Angleton was a widely respected figure in the world intelligence community. He was known particularly for his efforts to uncover Russian espionage and for preventing what he believed to be of utmost concern: infiltration of the CIA by Soviet intelligence agents at the hands of the KGB.

He was "a widely respected figure in the world intelligence community," I guess, but certainly not for more than two decades, because he was a disgrace for years before he was let go. No mention that his mole-hunt was a compound disaster. Am I right that John Newman now believes Angleton's boss was the very mole he sought?

5 hours ago, George Govus said:

Am I right that John Newman now believes Angleton's boss was the very mole he sought?

George, according to Newman's excellent 'Uncovering Popov's Mole' it was Bruce Solie in the Office of Security/Security Research Staff who kept the mole hunt spotlight on the Soviet Russia Div., causing much damage therein.  Was LHO's Soviet sojourn flypaper to catch the mole in CIA, set up by Solie?  Solie's report on Nosenko gave a verdict that Nosenko was a bona fide defector!  Nosenko then marries Solie's wife's sister!!  Le Carrie couldn't write this stuff.

4 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Who is the cowboy? What does this picture show? Where was it taken and when? 

Thanks, Paul.  And yes, our focus is on the cowboy, not the Israeli connections.  

He's not identified.

I'm told that the white Ford Galaxy on the right facing is 1966 model. Arizona plates.

As you know, Cicely Angleton grew up in Arizona. Her father was invested in mining. His company ended up under the umbrella of Phelps Dodge.* She had relatives living in So. Arizona in 1963 (I've spoken with one of them), but none match this cowboy.

I could propose several candidates based solely on naked eye analysis: 1) Lafitte himself as master of disguise; 2) Charles "Boots" Askins; the sheriff of Tombstone; or just some guy looking for an autograph. ]

Any guesses?

fyi, Amit identified in the tag was the head of Mossad. 

*for any who are interested in propinquity and the MIC: Nicholas Katzenbach married into the Phelps dynasty; Phelps Dodge board of directors included Lewis Douglas. Douglas sat on the board of American Express with Gen. Lucius Clay; Clay was replaced in Germany by John Jay McCloy; McCloy and Douglas married sisters; the cousin of those sisters was married to German Chancellor Konrad Adenauer. McCloy was a lead member of the Warren Commission.  Note: Adenauer's Bundeswehr generals were in a meeting with the JCS in the Gold Room of the Pentagon on November 22.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

53 minutes ago, Pete Mellor said:

George, according to Newman's excellent 'Uncovering Popov's Mole' it was Bruce Solie in the Office of Security/Security Research Staff who kept the mole hunt spotlight on the Soviet Russia Div., causing much damage therein.  Was LHO's Soviet sojourn flypaper to catch the mole in CIA, set up by Solie?  Solie's report on Nosenko gave a verdict that Nosenko was a bona fide defector!  Nosenko then marries Solie's wife's sister!!  Le Carrie couldn't write this stuff.

@Pete Mellor What about the cowboy, Pete?  Any ideas? I don't know about others, but I think it's a rather incongruous photo. 

17 minutes ago, David Butler said:

It's Meir Amit in the photo with Angleton

Seriously? I checked photos of him and didn't see a resemblance. What was he doing in the SW dressed in western gear? I also ran it by a researcher knowledgeable of this history in Haifa and he made no mention of Amit.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

20 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

I'm told that the white Ford Galaxy on the right facing is 1966 model. Arizona plates.

Not to nit pick but the car of the right is a 1960 Ford determined by the taillights.  I'm pretty sure the car on the left is a 1967 Ford Fairlane. 

Edited by Dan Rice
missed a word

A message from Robert Ward Montenegro:

When I first saw this photograph I immediately brought it to Leslie's attention, because I thought the man in the cowboy gear looked like US Army COL. Charles "Boots" Askins Jr.

The "Cowboy" & Angleton...

image.jpeg

COL. Askins...

image.jpeg

Whoever the hell the "Cowboy" is, Angleton is quite chummy with him...

"Deception is a state of mind—and the mind of the state" — James Jesus Angleton, a professional perjurer.

Edited by Paul Brancato

6 hours ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Seriously? I checked photos of him and didn't see a resemblance. What was he doing in the SW dressed in western gear? I also ran it by a researcher knowledgeable of this history in Haifa and he made no mention of Amit.

I think David was joking.  Though considering the source of the picture and article maybe not.

Meir Amit | Israeli military leader, intelligence chief, and politician ...

Edited by Ron Bulman

5 hours ago, Dan Rice said:

Not to nit pick but the car of the right is a 1960 Ford determined by the taillights.  I'm pretty the car on the left is a 1967 Ford Fairlane. 

Thanks @Dan Rice  Another car guy said Starliner. 1960 works better than 1966.

14 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Who is the cowboy? What does this picture show? Where was it taken and when? 

@Paul Brancato Two other versions (jpeg dated 1966) of the same photo edit out the Arizona license plate.  Arizona plates with Grand Canyon State on bottom line varied very little during the decade. 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:James_Jesus_Angleton?fbclid=IwAR04mBA7SxD9YZypaHfuh3e_PtckKxW_g-NpStbffQgaiLk6O4gL4YWoHS0

It's easy to project candidates for the cowboy to fit a hypothesis.  This may well be someone known to James and Cicely in her home state of Arizona unrelated to our investigation.  That said, I've been running the cowboy past several JFK photo collectors; one asked unsolicited, "Lafitte?"  Cowboy also shares a number of features with Boots Askins (not the least of which are the unusual style of trousers shoved into the "boots"), but there are several anomalies that need resolving, for instance chest girth and shoulders. We need a photo expert.