The Education Forum

Melancholy

Ron Bulman

1 hour ago, Marcus Fuller said:

It's a strange one for me. I'm from a time and place where it's hard for me to comprehend the adoration, respect and trust that people had for JFK and Jackie, and maybe other politicians of the time. Especially the reactions of the public after his death. That seems the most surreal to me. Save for a handful of people, I'm generally not deeply affected by the deaths or other misfortunes of people who I do not know personally or have never met. Initially I thought that I just lacked empathy (and in some situations I do) but it seems to be down to some kind of automatic disconnect. Ignorance is bliss.

Unfortunately I have a morbid curiosity and in my quest for answers I often watch or view things that I then cannot erase from memory. Because of this I've seen some of the most horrific things you can imagine, and as a result of that, nothing really surprises me anymore. A government (or elements within it) conspiring to assassinate it's own President is a drop in the ocean compared to what some of our species are capable of.

I'm not totally sure what it is specifically about the murder of JFK and Oswald that has affected me. With JFK's death I don't think it's the actual event 'caught on tape' that hit me, but more to do with the fact that he had put his trust and safety into the hands of people who were there to protect him. And this betrayal was witnessed publicly in a very real and humiliating way. Oswald's death is similar in many ways. Regardless of whether you believe he was guilty or not, his safety and trust was placed in the hands of the police who are there to serve and protect and uphold the law. He too was betrayed in a real and humiliating way, and you could argue even more publicly (at least then) as it was televised and audible.

When we spend time looking into the minutiae of such events we're getting in deeper and making ourselves more vulnerable to whatever we discover. During the anniversary of such an event we're going to reflect even more deeply on everything we've learnt and discovered so far. I guess the more we learn, the worse it is. I always maintain that absolutely everything comes at a cost, we just have to try and remember that sometimes the truth is worth paying for.

Thank you M. Fuller for sharing that thoughtful essay.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still happening.  I missed an article I didn't click on immediately and now can't find about the nation after JFK to now.  Then this one popped up, on msn again.  A very good article from a surprising source, a Regan/Bush functionary.  The beginning is a hell of a hook, evicted mom (and himself), her crying over the JFK assassination, not the eviction.  Then the part on JFK saving us all is excellent.

He saved humanity: The better way to remember JFK (msn.com)

On 11/28/2023 at 11:08 AM, Ron Bulman said:

A main point I have made about the incredible popularity of JFK ( and Jackie K. ) is it's transition into a realm that was hugely unprecedented in not just it's worldwide scope of personal physical attraction and fascination but also an ever-growing inspirational belief that here was a powerful leader man who was truly populist in his character and values and policy intentions.

A man who really cared about the welfare of all peoples and of all income classes.

Most of the world back then and even now were desperately 3rd world poor according to world health statistics.

I believe Kennedy touched this majority like no other top world leader before or since ( with the exception of Ghandi?) Touched them with hope for a better world of peace and economic fairness and opportunity for all. Including them?

I think JFK and RFK's stance on segregation here in the United States played a part in this view.

Most of the world's poor then and now were/are of color. I am sure they saw JFK and RFK taking risky stands on behalf of black Americans and which they had never seen before. 

Another huge part of JFK and Jackie's popularity was simply their incredible visceral physical attractiveness.

Look at them during JFK's 3 years in office. JFK was kind of the perfect example of manly attractiveness - relatively youngish 43 years old, tall, thin, athletic, tan, great hair, perfect movie star looks facial structure, perfect teeth broad warm smile that would draw anyone's attention.

Smart, sharp and quick witted. Intelligent yet kind looking, perfectly dressed and coifed.

32 year old Jackie classy and pretty and sophisticated beyond her years, speaker of 3 or four languages. She wore the highest fashion as if she was born to do so.

Tall, thin, elegant. Athletic too!

Everyone loved Eleanore Roosevelt. She was a fearless champion for equal rights. A compassionate populist all the way.

But Jackie?

Every popular gossip and fashion magazine publisher in the world couldn't get her on their front covers often enough.

Same with JFK.

If the world voted for the American presidency in 1964...JFK would have won that election by a billion vote margin I think.

Edited by Joe Bauer

This is pretty shallow and definitely LN.  But has anyone heard of this "Ruby biographer Danny Fingeroth"?

Texas Wants to Know: How Dallas responded to the Kennedy assassination (msn.com)

Here we go.

Jack Ruby: The Many Faces of Oswald's Assassin: Fingeroth, Danny: 9781641609128: Amazon.com: Books

I feel you. To me the JFKA represents a somewhat-recent inflection point in history where dark forces violently wrested control of the country and then shaped our foreign policy for the next 50-60 years.

Vietnam, Watergate, CIA assassination plots, MK/ULTRA & Artichoke, puppet governments and death squads, violent repression of people in the name of "anti-communism" - all the dark and evil machinations we saw sprung forth from that moment. It was the Unspeakable's "enabling act" and the people all have their heads in the sand refusing to believe what has been going on much like good Germans just could not believe the atrocities committed right under their noses in WW2 era Germany.

We lost our soul as a nation that day and have been forever crippled by this traumatic and disabling event. We have not had a single good man as President since then, save maybe Jimmy Carter, though his effectiveness as President was largely neutralized. 

Around every 11,22 JFK date it's "Melancholy Baby" all over again.

Ernie Burnett, who is credited with composing the music, was wounded fighting in the First World War, from which he lost his memory and his identity dog tags. While recuperating in hospital, a pianist entertained the patients with popular tunes including "Melancholy Baby". Burnett rose from his sickbed and exclaimed, "That's my song!" He had regained his memory.[3] A potential contender for the songwriting credit of "My Melancholy Baby" is the American pianist Ben Light. He claimed to have composed the song in 1908 as a teenager, although he did not pursue copyright protection for his work.[4][5]

Edited by Joe Bauer

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

Just a weird JFK/Jackie story here. Not sure if the story is true at all.

JFK had Jackie committed to a mental health clinic in Carlyle, Mass after he and she had a very contentious argument one evening after JFK came home late and Jackie hit the roof and kind of lost it regarding JFK's philandering. This was back in the 1950's when JFK was a congressman. The story goes that Jackie lost it to such a high emotional distraught degree that JFK had her put in this clinic where she underwent two shock treatments.

Why is it even necessary to bring up this kind of tawdry stuff here at this forum?

What purpose does it serve?

Edited by David Von Pein

4 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Well, the msm is catching up to. my review.

But as I mentioned, there is even more.  On the day JFK was killed, first Oppenheimer's secretary came in to tell him the news.  Then his son. The scientist went over to the liquor cabinet to pour them a drink but his hand started shaking and he stopped trying.  He then said, "I guess everything is going to fall apart now." And they walked outside to watch TV.

Boy was that guy smart.

PS The story Joe posted above is BS.