The Education Forum

Mary Haverstick's Important New Book on the JFK Assassination

I have no idea if Andrew might see or read this on here.  But I did want to take a moment to thank him for this very insightful and clarifying piece, and, for allowing Leslie to post it here.  I know it's a little long for such, but it would be great to see it on amazon in the reviews of Ms. Haverstick's book.

I do have a couple of questions I'll post later and see if maybe Leslie might comment on.  Thanks again, Andrew.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this book more a biography of Jerrie Cobb rather than June Cobb?

June Cobb is an important person of interest in the JFK case. And i would buy a scholarly book about her life. But if this book is about Jerrie Cobb (and trying to pretend she is June Cobb), then that is not of much use to a JFKA researcher. 

I want to know about June Cobb, not Jerrie Cobb. 

3 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

Is this book more a biography of Jerrie Cobb rather than June Cobb?

June Cobb is an important person of interest in the JFK case. And i would buy a scholarly book about her life. But if this book is about Jerrie Cobb (and trying to pretend she is June Cobb), then that is not of much use to a JFKA researcher. 

I want to know about June Cobb, not Jerrie Cobb. 

John Newman’s book Where Angels Tread Lightly has the most detailed bio I’ve seen on June Cobb. Pretty crazy stuff. 

4 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

John Newman’s book Where Angels Tread Lightly has the most detailed bio I’ve seen on June Cobb. Pretty crazy stuff. 

That's great. I must take a look there instead so. I'd imagine Mary Haverstick has taken alot of her research from there.

6 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

I'd imagine Mary Haverstick has taken alot of her research from there.

I bet that is true. I haven’t read Newman’s book in a minute but a lot of the summaries of the Haverstick book on June Cobb’s background reminded me of it. Newman did a serious deep dive on Cobb. The material is dense as hell but pretty darn interesting if I recall. Her life was like a James Bond movie. 

3 minutes ago, Tom Gram said:

I bet that is true. I haven’t read Newman’s book in a minute but a lot of the summaries of the Haverstick book on June Cobb’s background reminded me of it. Newman did a serious deep dive on Cobb. The material is dense as hell but pretty darn interesting if I recall. Her life was like a James Bond movie. 

My understanding is that Newman’s June Cobb file has disappeared. 

2 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

My understanding is that Newman’s June Cobb file has disappeared. 

Disappeared? I thought his source material was all available in the ARC, and either online or open at NARA.

I’d have to check the chapter endnotes but I don’t recall seeing anything on Cobb without a RIF. I haven’t opened the book in over a year though so I definitely could be wrong. 

2 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

Disappeared? I thought his source material was all available in the ARC, and either online or open at NARA.

I’d have to check the chapter endnotes but I don’t recall seeing anything on Cobb without a RIF. I haven’t opened the book in over a year though so I definitely could be wrong. 

Newman has told others that his office was broken into and his Cobb file(s?) was stolen; apparently he had filed one particular document or group of documents in another area and planned to release them to the public at some point.  To my knowledge that has yet to happen.

Also, my understanding is that June handed over those files to John with the understanding they would be returned; for some reason she failed to make photocopies so the originals were invaluable.  He never returned the originals to June.

Why would anyone break into John's office and not steal additional research, or did they? Are we to understand the break-in was specific to June's files?  If so, why wasn't Albarelli's place broken into as well?

15 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Why would anyone break into John's office and not steal additional research, or did they? Are we to understand the break-in was specific to June's files?  If so, why wasn't Albarelli's place broken into as well?

Be careful Leslie, you are utilizing logic to fight a straw-man conclusion.

You know the marching call around here is the battle-cry of Sgt. Schultz:

3 minutes ago, Robert Montenegro said:

Be careful Leslie, you are utilizing logic to fight a straw-man conclusion.

You know the marching call around here is the battle-cry of Sgt. Schultz:

LOLOLOL. I Know N.u.t.h.t.h.i.n.g!!