The Education Forum

Why No Neck/Throat Exit Wound?

(I'm new, so please go easy on me...)

After spending hundreds of hours in the JFK vortex as an earnest student of the assassination, there is one question that I cannot seem to find an answer to:

If JFK was shot in the neck/throat from the front, why is there no exit wound in the back of the neck?  Because the neck is a relatively small section of our anatomy, it seems that a bullet would easily pass through and create a visible exit wound.  However, there doesn't seem to be much discussion around this topic that I can find in my searching and reading of the case.  

Perhaps this has been addressed by other researchers.  If so, I would appreciate being pointed to any discussions or articles related to this topic.

Fred Dent

It's my understanding that once a bullet enters a body, it can go on any course. These are quotes from different users on Quora:

-

"Not necessarily, it depends on the type of bullet construction and the type of gun used to fire the bullet. There are many variables involved. It may depend on whether the bullet hits a bone. Some bullet designs are made to NOT go through a body so as not to injure a civilian that may be behind the intended target. Hollow point bullets are designed to expand in the soft target of a game animal or a human criminal target. A rifle, due to its much greater power than a pistol, is much more likely to go through the intended target even if a hollow point, as say, in a hunting round. Most don’t but nothing says they can’t over-penetrate and go through. A full metal jacketed, or hard-cast lead, bullet is more likely to go through the target and a frangible round usually won’t."

"Some AK and AR injuries have involved the bullet changing correction inside the body, like a leg hit that ends up in a lung."

https://www.quora.com/If-you-are-shot-does-the-bullet-always-go-through-all-the-way#:~:text=Not always.,will also stop full penetration.

2 hours ago, Fred Dent said:

After spending hundreds of hours in the JFK vortex as an earnest student of the assassination, there is one question that I cannot seem to find an answer to:

If JFK was shot in the neck/throat from the front, why is there no exit wound in the back of the neck?  Because the neck is a relatively small section of our anatomy, it seems that a bullet would easily pass through and create a visible exit wound.  However, there doesn't seem to be much discussion around this topic that I can find in my searching and reading of the case.  

Perhaps this has been addressed by other researchers.  If so, I would appreciate being pointed to any discussions or articles related to this topic.

Fred Dent

Hi Fred.  Welcome to the Ed Forum.  You ask a great question.  JFK suffered two entrance wounds in soft tissue with no exits — in his back at the level of his 3rd thoracic vertebra, and in his throat.

No rounds were recovered from those locations during the autopsy.  

The neck x-ray showed a hairline fracture of the right T1 transverse process, and an airpocket overlaying the right C7/T1 transverse processes.

No conventional weapon leaves a wound pattern like that.

The autopsists initially speculated JFK was hit in the back with a high tech round which dissolved in the body.  

For reasons that have long been a mystery to me, this Autopsists’ Scenario has been near universally ignored.

The CIA program MKNAOMI employed blood soluble paralytics and toxins.  In my book that’s the starting point of any coherent cold case investigation into JFK’s murder.

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/church/reports/vol1/pdf/ChurchV1_6_Senseney.pdf

Edited by Cliff Varnell

1 hour ago, Micah Mileto said:

Are we sure now that the "air pocket" isn't an artifact like the HSCA said?

Are you sure that’s what the HSCA said?

Here’s the HSCA analysis of the cervical x-ray:

<quote on, emphasis added>

Evaluation of the pre-autopsy film shows that there is some subcutaneous or interstitial air overlying the right C7 and T1 transverse processes. There is disruption of the integrity of the transverse process of T1, which, in comparison with its mate on the opposite side and also with the previously taken film, mentioned above, indicates that there has been a fracture in that area. There is some soft tissue density overlying the apex of the right lung which may be hematoma in that region or other soft tissue swelling.

Evaluation of the post-autopsy film shows that there is subcutaneous or interstitial air overlying C7 and T1. The same disruption of T1 right transverse process is still present.

On the film of the right side, taken post-autopsy, there are two small metallic densities in the region of the C7 right transverse process. These densities are felt to be artifact, partly because of their marked density, because there is a similar artifact overlying the body of C7, and because these metallic-like densities were not present on the previous, pre-autopsy film. Therefore, I assume that these are screen artifacts from debris present in the cassette at the time that this film was exposed.  </q>

Edited by Cliff Varnell

10 hours ago, Fred Dent said:

Fred Dent

You ask a reasonable question. 

In addition, there was a windshield in front of JFK.

Some people posit a midget was hiding in a sewer drain.

JFK's neck wound sure is an oddity. 

Tink Thompson has speculated a bullet fragment, or shard of glass made a wound in JFK's front throat. Or possibly an exiting skull fragment. 

3 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

You ask a reasonable question. 

In addition, there was a windshield in front of JFK.

The claim that the wound was caused by a glass shard or a bullet fragment is debunked by the fact glass and metal both show up on x-rays.  There was no glass or metal in JFK’s throat.

3 hours ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Some people posit a midget was hiding in a sewer drain.

JFK's neck wound sure is an oddity. 

Tink Thompson has speculated a bullet fragment, or shard of glass made a wound in JFK's front throat. Or possibly an exiting skull fragment. 

This “speculation” ignores the hairline fracture and airpocket at T1.

Ben Cole is adamantly opposed to the Autopsists Scenario of high tech weapons, so much so he pretends all the throat entrance wound witnesses got it wrong and the cervical x-ray doesn’t exist.

11 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

The neck x-ray showed a hairline fracture of the right T1 transverse process, and an airpocket overlaying the right C7/T1 transverse processes.

No conventional weapon leaves a wound pattern like that.

Would the air pocket not be a remnant of the cavitation caused by the passage of the bullet through the neck as per the SBT?

The Warren Commission, in late 1964, issued its 888-page Final Report on the assassination of President John Kennedy. The Commission concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald had murdered JFK, and in so doing, had acted alone. Also within that report rests one of the most controversial so-called "theories" in history -- the "Single-Bullet Theory".

The "SBT" has been battered from proverbial pillar to post by conspiracy theorists for multiple decades now since JFK's tragic death in 1963. And it's been an undeserved bad rap, too, in my opinion. Because the SBT is almost certainly the only conceivable (accurate) scenario to explain the injuries sustained by victims JFK and John B. Connally in Dallas on 11/22/63.

Lacking the SBT, so many weird and incredible and, frankly, impossible, things would have had to have taken place in Dealey Plaza, it would make a Max Fleischer cartoon seem believable by comparison.

[Continued here....]

http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2010/06/Where Is The SBT Alternative?

Edited by David Von Pein

14 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

Would the air pocket not be a remnant of the cavitation caused by the passage of the bullet through the neck as per the SBT?

Of course not. There was no passage of a bullet... SBT is nonsense.

In contrast, the Autopsist Scenario as described by Cliff is a reasonable explanation for the non-passage of a bullet. Don't know about the air pocket though.

1 hour ago, Gerry Down said:

The bullet holes in JFK’s clothes are too low to associate with the throat wound.

15 hours ago, Fred Dent said:

Fred Dent

As Cliff said, welcome Fred.  I've never disagreed with the possibility of what he proposes, the CIA did in fact create multiple interesting weapons.  The back shot really makes me wonder, I don't think a un accounted for bullet fell out in the back seat of the limo or on a gurney in the ER at Parkland after much reading.

I've had thoughts prior to reading this regarding the throat wound though, based on personal experience, statements, and the death stare photograph among other things.  I have a .22 rifle I hunted with in years gone by.  A hollow point bullet will not exit small game.

Small caliber, small entry wound per Dr's at Parkland.

The death stare photograph shows this small wound widened and butchered.  As if someone might have probed for and possibly removed a bullet.  Speculation on my part.   

13 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Are you sure that’s what the HSCA said?

Here’s the HSCA analysis of the cervical x-ray:

<quote on, emphasis added>

Evaluation of the pre-autopsy film shows that there is some subcutaneous or interstitial air overlying the right C7 and T1 transverse processes. There is disruption of the integrity of the transverse process of T1, which, in comparison with its mate on the opposite side and also with the previously taken film, mentioned above, indicates that there has been a fracture in that area. There is some soft tissue density overlying the apex of the right lung which may be hematoma in that region or other soft tissue swelling.

Evaluation of the post-autopsy film shows that there is subcutaneous or interstitial air overlying C7 and T1. The same disruption of T1 right transverse process is still present.

On the film of the right side, taken post-autopsy, there are two small metallic densities in the region of the C7 right transverse process. These densities are felt to be artifact, partly because of their marked density, because there is a similar artifact overlying the body of C7, and because these metallic-like densities were not present on the previous, pre-autopsy film. Therefore, I assume that these are screen artifacts from debris present in the cassette at the time that this film was exposed.  </q>

You are quoting a consultant. The HSCA pathology panel ignored or rejected much of what they were told by their consultants, and the HSCA rubber-stamped the conclusions of the panel, and not the consultants. 

Here's the panel's conclusion:

"The panel noted a general haziness and poorly defined decrease in radiodensity in the neck tissues just above the right chest cavity in films 8 and 9, and attributed this to interstitial emphysema. This was probably related to the surgical tracheotomy or missile injury to the trachea, followed by positive pressure insufflation, with a slight escape of air into the adjacent tissues. Continued breathing by the President, possible even after the trachea had been perforated by the missile because the overlyng defect was more or less sealed by the shirt and necktie, could also have caused air to leak into the adjacent tissues.”

And yes, I agree, that was a crock of nonsense. 

3 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

You are quoting a consultant. The HSCA pathology panel ignored or rejected much of what they were told by their consultants, and the HSCA rubber-stamped the conclusions of the panel, and not the consultants. 

Here's the panel's conclusion:

"The panel noted a general haziness and poorly defined decrease in radiodensity in the neck tissues just above the right chest cavity in films 8 and 9, and attributed this to interstitial emphysema. This was probably related to the surgical tracheotomy or missile injury to the trachea, followed by positive pressure insufflation, with a slight escape of air into the adjacent tissues. Continued breathing by the President, possible even after the trachea had been perforated by the missile because the overlyng defect was more or less sealed by the shirt and necktie, could also have caused air to leak into the adjacent tissues.”

And yes, I agree, that was a crock of nonsense. 

No challenge of the hairline fracture of the T1 transverse process.  There’s only so much smoke they could blow denying the shot from the front.

4 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

As Cliff said, welcome Fred.  I've never disagreed with the possibility of what he proposes, the CIA did in fact create multiple interesting weapons.  The back shot really makes me wonder, I don't think a un accounted for bullet fell out in the back seat of the limo or on a gurney in the ER at Parkland after much reading.

I've had thoughts prior to reading this regarding the throat wound though, based on personal experience, statements, and the death stare photograph among other things.  I have a .22 rifle I hunted with in years gone by.  A hollow point bullet will not exit small game.

Small caliber, small entry wound per Dr's at Parkland.

The death stare photograph shows this small wound widened and butchered.  As if someone might have probed for and possibly removed a bullet.  Speculation on my part.   

And the same with the back shot, another shallow wound in soft tissue?