The Education Forum

LHO lookalikes? Come on! Stop the nonsense.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cory Santos changed the title to LHO lookalikes? Come on! Stop the nonsense.

This guy also owns 3 wallets.

Edited by Sean Coleman

2 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Hate to tell you, Cory — a lot of nonsense can’t be stopped.

I realize that as I have tried to drive around Vegas and Swifties are everywhere.   Go Niners.  

1 hour ago, Cory Santos said:

I realize that as I have tried to drive around Vegas and Swifties are everywhere.   Go Niners.  

Go Niners!  I like Miley Cyrus way better anyway.

3 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

If ever there was a thread that begged to be hijacked...

My Top Ten List of Rock/Pop/R&B Goddesses Active in the 21st Century Not Named Beyoncé or Madonna (too obvious!)

Alphabetical order:

Brody Dalle (The Distillers), Doja Cat, Joan Jett, Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs), Kathleen Hanna (Bikini Kill, Le Tigre),   Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Pink, Rihanna,                                        Shirley Manson (Garbage)

Edited by Cliff Varnell

1 hour ago, Cliff Varnell said:

If ever there was a thread that begged to be hijacked...

My Top Ten List of Rock/Pop/R&B Goddesses Active in the 21st Century Not Named Beyoncé or Madonna (too obvious!)

Alphabetical order:

Brody Dalle (The Distillers), Doja Cat, Joan Jett, Karen O (Yeah Yeah Yeahs), Kathleen Hanna (Bikini Kill, Le Tigre),   Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Pink, Rihanna,                                        Shirley Manson (Garbage)

Debbie Harry, 1977, Heart of glass video, shimmering dress…..man, I woke up…

I was 10 at the time….

3 hours ago, Sean Coleman said:

Debbie Harry, 1977, Heart of glass video, shimmering dress…..man, I woke up…

I was 10 at the time….

As a creative force I put Debbie Harry (Blondie) in the late 20th Century (post-1970) along with Patti Smith, Exene Cervenka (X), Penelope Houston (The Avengers), Siouxsie Sioux (Siouxsie and the Banshees), Pauline Murray (Penetration), Dolores O’Riordan (The Cranberries), Salt ‘n’ Pepa, MC Lyte, Patti LaBelle, Aretha Franklin, the A Girls in ABBA, Dolly Parton, Tina Turner, Linda Ronstadt...off the top of my head.

Joan Jett probably belongs in this category but her influence on modern female rockers burns bright.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

2 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

As a creative force I put Debbie Harry (Blondie) in the late 20th Century (post-1970) along with Patti Smith, Exene Cervenka (X), Penelope Houston (The Avengers), Siouxsie Sioux (Siouxsie and the Banshees), Pauline Murray (Penetration), Dolores O’Riordan (The Cranberries), Salt ‘n’ Pepa, MC Lyte, Patti LaBelle, Aretha Franklin, the A Girls in ABBA, Dolly Parton, Tina Turner, Linda Ronstadt...off the top of my head.

Joan Jett probably belongs in this category but her influence on modern female rockers burns bright.

I don't know some of those in your top 10 Cliff.  These may not be on anybody's top 10 but close in my thoughts.  The first had a pretty short career.  Janis Joplin, Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, and Grace Slick of the Jefferson Airplane/Starship.  Just off the top of my head, too.  

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

I don't know some of those in your top 10 Cliff.  These may not be on anybody's top 10 but close in my thoughts.  The first had a pretty short career.  Janis Joplin, Ann and Nancy Wilson of Heart, and Grace Slick of the Jefferson Airplane/Starship.  Just off the top of my head, too.  

Nancy Wilson I’d put in the post-1970 category — along with Bonnie Raitt, Chaka Khan, Emmylou Harris, Betty Davis (Miles’ wife), Alice Bag (The Bags) and Arri Upp (The Slits).

Janis and Grace are my 60’s Goddesses — along with Joan Baez, Leslie Gore, Ronnie Spector, Wanda Jackson, Diana Ross, Nancy Sinatra, Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick, Carla & Irma Thomas...Aretha and Tina probably belong in this category too.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Your first post said the 21st century, but since you and Sean hijacked the thread and we're beyond that . . .  You mentioned Dolly and I thought, country.  No, she crossed the line to pop years ago.  Same for some regarding soul, they had pop hits.  Then you mentioned Emmy Lou Harris, country again for me at least.  Linda Ronstadt and Bonnie Raitt have a little of it too.  

If we go all the way back to the 1960's to ladies who had songs appreciated by a wider audience, I'd start with these.  Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette.  Several since.  Today, like her or not, we have to include Reba in the crossover to pop.  She does have an impressive vocal range imho.