The Education Forum

The Dallas County Jail (Oswalds home if he were still alive)

I'm not sure if the Dallas County Jail is made up of several buildings spread out from one another but at least one part of it is quiet close to Dealey Plaza which I hadn't realized. From watching the below videos, I don't think Oswald would have lasted too long in here. 

Dallas-1.png

1 hour ago, Cory Santos said:

I still would like to know why they felt Oswald “needed” to be moved however.  I still fail to see any validity to it.   

Chief Curry explains here:

Edited by David Von Pein

3 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

I'm not sure if the Dallas County Jail is made up of several buildings spread out from one another but at least one part of it is quiet close to Dealey Plaza which I hadn't realized. From watching the below videos, I don't think Oswald would have lasted too long in here. 

Dallas-1.png

In the first photo the large red circle is of the Lew Sterrett jail.  I've visited a friend there many years ago.  The second smaller circle was the county jail in 1963, where Oswald would have been taken when charged per normal procedure. 

LHO may well have been in better security there, given they kept Ruby alive until he died, of cancer.  But Sheriff Decker didn't really want him in the first place. 

3 hours ago, Cory Santos said:

Respectfully, a jail is not the same as a prison.  He would have been in prison if convicted then likely received the death penalty.  

Exactly, where I work, prisoners are held in jail for shorter sentences.  For longer sentences they are sent to a prison.  States typically have jails and state prisons.  For federal crimes the prisoners are typically sent to a federal prison.

7 hours ago, Bill Brown said:

Gerry, in 1963, the county jail overlooked Dealey Plaza.  The jail you've circled in red is the new facility.

I know. I was trying to figure out where LHO might be kept were he still alive today.

The thought had crossed my mind that the term "jail' sounded temporary rather the more permanent "prison". But then those videos started talking about thousands of people being kept there which sounded odd for a temporary stay - is Dallas really that bad?

I guess a "temporary" stay could last a few years before then being moved to a penitentiary. I think Ruby spent all his time in the Dallas County Jail in Dealey Plaza overlooking the plaza but not sure. He spent at least some there. Is that building still a jail today?

2 hours ago, Mike Aitken said:

Exactly, where I work, prisoners are held in jail for shorter sentences.  For longer sentences they are sent to a prison.  States typically have jails and state prisons.  For federal crimes the prisoners are typically sent to a federal prison.

In the videos I posted the thumbnails use the term "prison" when referring to the Dallas Country Jail. Maybe that documentary series though simply ran out of prisons to cover and started covering jails.

What prison do you think Oswald would be in were he still alive today?

20 minutes ago, Chuck Schwartz said:

When LHO announced to the Press that he was just a Patsy, he  signed his own  death certificate.  No way LHO would still be alive today.

Sirhan Sirhan is still alive. 55 years in prison. 

7 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

Sirhan Sirhan is still alive. 55 years in prison. 

Gerry, I think you miss Chuck's point.  I personally think Oswald was meant to be eliminated at the TSBD, in transit to his rooming house (the bus search), on the way to the Texas Theater (no, he didn't shoot Tippit-no time for that), or at it.  But, when he lived to tell the world "I didn't shoot anybody" and "I'm just a patsy", the plotters knew, we have to shut him up, asap.

Sirhan still does not remember shooting RFK to this day.  He did at one point if I remember right, say words to the effect of I don't remember shooting him but if you say it all happened the way you do, I guess I must have.  He's never really protested, because he doesn't remember, so he's still alive.  But incarcerated.  They both were framed.

Gerry's original photo shows the '63 County jail building, circled in red on the right side of the picture.  The building stands on the corner of Main & Houston & next to the County Records Bldg., on Houston.  The Dallas sheriff's office was also in the County Jail bldg., with their car park behind the north knoll., where gunfire, gun smoke & smell of gunpowder was detected on the 22nd., when Decker's men were taking no part in the security detail for JFK's visit, just stood on the sidewalk on the corner of Main & Houston to see the parade pass.

Situated on the 6th floor of the County jail was a holding cell where on the 22nd John Powell along with around 20 inmates are reported as observing two men on the 6th floor of the TSBD, prior to the arrival of the motorcade.  The men in brown clothing seen by Powell so clearly he could observe the adjusting of the rifle's scope.