The Education Forum

Has anyone watched the Netflix series American Conspiracy: The Octopus Murders?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen this yet.

The ratings for it are very high I understand,.

Part 3, 38 min mark-

Cheri Seymour, investigative journo visits Robert Booth Nichols, an alleged CIA dick.

Greer shoots JFK on the ‘original’ film. She sounds convincing, but don’t they all.

Octopus Murders worth a watch for more ‘…..omg the CIA did what….?’ moments.

Edited by Sean Coleman

Wouldn’t it be great if we could amass the supposed original Zapruder film(s) and compare? If the one we have all seen is that doctored I’m sure we’d all like to know about it. 
I watched episode one and then went back and looked at the Danny Casolaro material. His fate reminds me uncomfortably of another important whistle blower - John Garrett (Gary) Underhill, who I believe caught an early glimpse of the Octopus in action. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

A thrilling documentary. Well worth a watch. The scope of the investigation that is at the heart of the documentary is staggering.

CIA's history of making money off the drug trade in order to fund illegal wars is long standing, and reaches into many agencies of government. Many of the names will be familiar to JFKA researchers--as will the connections.

I guess I will have to see this and review it.

I mean the Casolaro case was very big for awhile.

Glad someone brought it back. 

This is number one on Netflix right now.

Whew.

Now, I have to see it and read up some more on the whole Casolaro case.

The iconic scene in the series is the alleged 'real Zapruder film".

I think there is a lot of insight that JFK researchers bring to this series (I watched it the first day) that most Americands would benefit from before watching.  Coincidences that make you wonder? Check. Multiple grifters or fabulists who put a great deal of effort and time into weaving tales? Check.  Possible sinister individuals who nonetheless are likely exaggerating (maybe greatly exaggerating) peripheral insights into something much greater? Check.  An ultimate outcome that could well be conspiratorial in nature  but very unlikely to be as outrageous as some think?  Check. 

Especially on the grifter/fabulist front. No one is more attune to it than we are. I think a very large portion of Americans do not know the lengths people will go for a scam. We've seen it happen two dozen times. The Z-film thing:  almost definitely fits that bill.

Stu

I have not seen the series yet.

But do they depict the police covered up visit by Joe Cuellar to Casolaro the night he died?  Because it appears Cuellar followed Danny across country.

BTW, is it a combination of documentary with acted out scenes?

Edited by James DiEugenio

3 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

This is number one on Netflix right now.

Whew.

Now, I have to see it and read up some more on the whole Casolaro case.

The iconic scene in the series is the alleged 'real Zapruder film".

Jim,

It is a combo of documentary and acted out scenes. Don’t expect too much from the Zapruder film scene. It has to do with Greer shooting Kennedy. 

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

I have not seen the series yet.

But do they depict the police covered up visit by Joe Cuellar to Casolaro the night he died?  Because it appears Cuellar followed Danny across country.

BTW, is it a combination of documentary with acted out scenes?

They definitely raise questions about Cuellar and the presence of someone, possibly Cuellar, entering Danny's room. It is a mix of actual broll plus reenactments. I think the main documentarian actually "plays" Danny. 

56 minutes ago, John Deignan said:

Jim,

It is a combo of documentary and acted out scenes. Don’t expect too much from the Zapruder film scene. It has to do with Greer shooting Kennedy. 

The point of the JFK scene was that she saw a version of the Z film that showed Greer shooting JFK, and another version of the film that didn't. The film in no way makes the claim that Greer shot JFK.