The Education Forum

My favorite line from any book or research article

Posted (edited)

As you are well aware from a recent post, @James DiEugenio is my favorite author and @Pat Speer is my favorite researcher. Well, Jim wrote (IMO) the greatest line ever written- from his great article The Decline and Fall of Jim Fetzer (mandatory reading):

The Decline and Fall of Jim Fetzer (kennedysandking.com)

Here it is (in bold):

“I’ve put them in their place so many times. I haven’t seen where they’ve laid a glove on me.”

–Fetzer to journalist Mike Mosedale in 2006

The above quote shows an almost astonishing lack of perspective and self-reflection. As we have seen in this relatively concise review of his public career, Jim Fetzer has had more gloves laid on him than a wealthy woman at a Gucci store in Beverly Hills."

----

Never ceases to make me laugh out loud...and so true, as well. I am in two chapters (plus) in Fetzer's 2000 book Murder in Dealey Plaza, a book that Jim DiEugenio rightfully states is Fetzer's high water mark in the JFK assassination case. I went on to meet Fetzer the next year on 8/11/2001 (yes- exactly one month before the terror attack which would change him forever in a bad way). Fetzer showed up at my door totally unexpectedly to announce that he took the liberty of getting in touch with Nigel Turner to have him film me for a new episode in 2003 of THE MEN WHO KILLED KENNEDY. About a year later (September 2002), Turner himself also showed up unannounced at my door and we went to film for over 16 hours over 2 days (in the end, I only received 3.5 minutes of air time, but it was a start and I am grateful for it [the episode went on to huge ratings, was shown 4 times, the VHS/DVD of parts 7-9 sold over 50K copies, and my episode re-aired on NEWSMAX TV several times in 2019-2020, not to mention on You Tube to this day]).

Also in 2003, Fetzer released the awful The Great Zapruder Film Hoax and it was downhill from there.

But for one brief shining moment (roughly 1998-2001), Fetzer was relatively normal.

Edited by Vince Palamara

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours for 3.5 minutes? whew.

Thanks, i like that line also.

1 minute ago, James DiEugenio said:

16 hours for 3.5 minutes? whew.

Thanks, i like that line also.

Yes----at least I received 15 minutes for A COUP IN CAMELOT and 8 minutes for that UK documentary (with the original title) THE ASSASSINATION OF JFK. Apparently, Nigel edited most of my material out to make room for an entire episode of Judyth Baker (!)

Classic line!

What an outstanding, informative 2016 essay by James DiEugenio on The Decline and Fall of Jim Fetzer. 

I knew next to nothing about Fetzer before reading this essay.

I wish I had read this essay several years ago.   It answers a great many questions.

The DiEugenio essay about Fetzer reviews an array of books that I have studied in the process of exploring the JFK assassination-- including RegicideLBJ-- Mastermind of the JFK Assassination, and Mary's Mosaic-- along with describing details of Gary Webb's suicide and Fetzer's "divorce" from 9/11 Truth physicist Stephen Jones.

A few comments and questions.  

1)   The enhanced Altgens photo, allegedly, demonstrates that LBJ was not ducking in the limo before JFK was shot.  Is this a shared consensus today?

2)   If I recall correctly, Mary Pinchot Meyer was, in fact, executed by an expert point-blank shot to the back of the head, followed by a shot to the heart.  But the alleged assassin, William Mitchell, has not been accurately identified by Peter Janney.  Is this correct?

3)   Gary Webb did, in fact, commit suicide by firing two shots with a .38 special?  (I always doubted that story until reading this essay.)

4)   The man who promoted the dubious, on-line "hologram" theory about the 9/11 airplanes was affiliated, in some way, with the CIA.  I saw that material on-line several years ago, and wondered if the author was merely deluded, or employed to discredit the serious 9/11 research.

5)   Fetzer had a falling out with physicist, Stephen Jones, who has done truly exemplary work documenting the explosive demolitions of the WTC on 9/11.

"I got to take a look at that shirt.”

Arlen Specter to Gaeton Fonzi.

https://ratical.org/ratville/JFK/GaetonFonzi/WCTandAS.html

Fonzi confronted Specter with the bullet holes in JFK's clothes, pushing Specter into a nervous breakdown over the demolition of the Single Bullet Theory.

The significance of that line is so far over the head of either Jim DiEugenio or Pat Speer it may as well have been uttered on the moon.

8 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

"I got to take a look at that shirt.”

Arlen Specter to Gaeton Fonzi.

https://ratical.org/ratville/JFK/GaetonFonzi/WCTandAS.html

Fonzi confronted Specter with the bullet holes in JFK's clothes, pushing Specter into a nervous breakdown over the demolition of the Single Bullet Theory.

The significance of that line is so far over the head of either Jim DiEugenio or Pat Speer it may as well have been uttered on the moon.

Geez, Cliff... You seem to turn every thread around here into a discussion of JFK's shirt, while ignoring/leap-frogging salient posts.  

I've got nothing against shirts, but how about DiEugenio's multi-faceted historical essay about Fetzer and conspiracy theorists?

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Geez, Cliff... You seem to turn every thread around here into a discussion of JFK's shirt, while ignoring/leap-frogging salient posts.  

I've got nothing against shirts, but how about DiEugenio's multi-faceted historical essay about Fetzer and conspiracy theorists?

What's the title of the thread?  Geez William, I don't even post here much anymore and when I do it's usually about other subjects.

At least Fetzer understood where the back wound was -- it took DiEugenio decades to figure it out and Pat Speer never has.

Pardon my interruption of the usual bum-smooching.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

18 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

What's the title of the thread?  Geez William, I don't even post here much anymore and when I do it's usually about other subjects.

At least Fetzer understood where the back wound was -- it took DiEugenio decades to figure it out and Pat Speer never has.

Pardon my interruption of the usual bum-smooching.

C'mon, Cliff.

There's an astonishing amount of historical detail in DiEugenio's essay about Fetzer.

It's the kind of fund of knowledge that results from years of immersion in a subject-- by a magazine editor and author.

And my questions (above) were not rhetorical.

Do we know, for certain, that LBJ wasn't ducking in the limo?

Isn't it true that Mary Pinchot Meyer was killed by an expert assassin?

Was the guy promoting the 9/11 "hologram" hoax, in fact, affiliated with the CIA?

22 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

C'mon, Cliff.

There's an astonishing amount of historical detail in DiEugenio's essay about Fetzer.

It's the kind of fund of knowledge that results from years of immersion in a subject-- by a magazine editor and author.

And my questions (above) were not rhetorical.

Do we know, for certain, that LBJ wasn't ducking in the limo?

Isn't it true that Mary Pinchot Meyer was killed by an expert assassin?

Was the guy promoting the 9/11 "hologram" hoax, in fact, affiliated with the CIA?

When DiEugenio wrote that article he regarded the location of JFK's back wound as "unknowable."

All of Fetzer's odd notions put together don't equal the absurdity of DiEugenio's former position on the back wound, or his current position regarding the clothing evidence.

"The above quote shows an almost astonishing lack of perspective and self-reflection. As we have seen in this relatively concise review of his public career, Jim Fetzer has had more gloves laid on him than a wealthy woman at a Gucci store in Beverly Hills."

That's rich coming from DiEugenio, a critic who cannot abide criticism.

Never read this before.  Deep.  The parts on Judy Baker and Derba Conway literally pulling the plug on Fetzer funny.  Regarding Judy.

On 5/18/2024 at 1:22 PM, Vince Palamara said:

As you are well aware from a recent post, @James DiEugenio is my favorite author and @Pat Speer is my favorite researcher. Well, Jim wrote (IMO) the greatest line ever written- from his great article The Decline and Fall of Jim Fetzer (mandatory reading):

The Decline and Fall of Jim Fetzer (kennedysandking.com)

Here it is (in bold):

“I’ve put them in their place so many times. I haven’t seen where they’ve laid a glove on me.”

–Fetzer to journalist Mike Mosedale in 2006

The above quote shows an almost astonishing lack of perspective and self-reflection. As we have seen in this relatively concise review of his public career, Jim Fetzer has had more gloves laid on him than a wealthy woman at a Gucci store in Beverly Hills."

----

Never ceases to make me laugh out loud...and so true, as well. I am in two chapters (plus) in Fetzer's 2000 book Murder in Dealey Plaza, a book that Jim DiEugenio rightfully states is Fetzer's high water mark in the JFK assassination case. I went on to meet Fetzer the next year on 8/11/2001 (yes- exactly one month before the terror attack which would change him forever in a bad way). Fetzer showed up at my door totally unexpectedly to announce that he took the liberty of getting in touch with Nigel Turner to have him film me for a new episode in 2003 of THE MEN WHO KILLED KENNEDY. About a year later (September 2002), Turner himself also showed up unannounced at my door and we went to film for over 16 hours over 2 days (in the end, I only received 3.5 minutes of air time, but it was a start and I am grateful for it [the episode went on to huge ratings, was shown 4 times, the VHS/DVD of parts 7-9 sold over 50K copies, and my episode re-aired on NEWSMAX TV several times in 2019-2020, not to mention on You Tube to this day]).

Also in 2003, Fetzer released the awful The Great Zapruder Film Hoax and it was downhill from there.

But for one brief shining moment (roughly 1998-2001), Fetzer was relatively normal.

James Fetzer knows the big ticket: that Lyndon Johnson murdered JFK and was in on the JFK assassination up to his bloody eyeballs. And that is a lot more informed than a slew of other JFK assassination researchers that I know.

Having said that, I disagree with Jim Fetzer on many minor points on the JFK assassination.

22 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

What an outstanding, informative 2016 essay by James DiEugenio on The Decline and Fall of Jim Fetzer. 

I knew next to nothing about Fetzer before reading this essay.

I wish I had read this essay several years ago.   It answers a great many questions.

The DiEugenio essay about Fetzer reviews an array of books that I have studied in the process of exploring the JFK assassination-- including RegicideLBJ-- Mastermind of the JFK Assassination, and Mary's Mosaic-- along with describing details of Gary Webb's suicide and Fetzer's "divorce" from 9/11 Truth physicist Stephen Jones.

A few comments and questions.  

1)   The enhanced Altgens photo, allegedly, demonstrates that LBJ was not ducking in the limo before JFK was shot.  Is this a shared consensus today?

2)   If I recall correctly, Mary Pinchot Meyer was, in fact, executed by an expert point-blank shot to the back of the head, followed by a shot to the heart.  But the alleged assassin, William Mitchell, has not been accurately identified by Peter Janney.  Is this correct?

3)   Gary Webb did, in fact, commit suicide by firing two shots with a .38 special?  (I always doubted that story until reading this essay.)

4)   The man who promoted the dubious, on-line "hologram" theory about the 9/11 airplanes was affiliated, in some way, with the CIA.  I saw that material on-line several years ago, and wondered if the author was merely deluded, or employed to discredit the serious 9/11 research.

5)   Fetzer had a falling out with physicist, Stephen Jones, who has done truly exemplary work documenting the explosive demolitions of the WTC on 9/11.

"Regicide" book is a complete fabrication by an author that goes by many many names and is known for lying lying lying. In fact, I have spoken to this fraud before in 2011 when he called me as I was torpedoing the "Rick Perry for President" campaign. He told me that Hillary Clinton in her college years was sleeping with the Black Panthers (something, knowing Hillary as I do, was entirely possible).

The book is garbage.

1 hour ago, Robert Morrow said:

"Regicide" book is a complete fabrication by an author that goes by many many names and is known for lying lying lying. In fact, I have spoken to this fraud before in 2011 when he called me as I was torpedoing the "Rick Perry for President" campaign. He told me that Hillary Clinton in her college years was sleeping with the Black Panthers (something, knowing Hillary as I do, was entirely possible).

The book is garbage.

Indeed, Robert, as James DiEugenio also pointed out in his essay (above) on Fetzer's foibles.

Meanwhile, what is your opinion on Phillip Nelson's thesis about LBJ ducking in the limo?

Thanks William, Fetzer spent a lot of time trying to counter this with about three of his cohorts. He was not very successful.

As per the LBJ/Youngblood demonstration, see p 272 of Absolute Proof by Robert Groden.

Mary Meyer was not killed by an expert assassin, that whole aspect of Janney's book blew up when the guy he could not find, Bill Mitchell, was found. And when Crump's so called alibi witness turned out not to exist.

And Fetzer did dump Jones, for whatever reason, for the wacky  hologram theory.

6 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Indeed, Robert, as James DiEugenio also pointed out in his essay (above) on Fetzer's foibles.

Meanwhile, what is your opinion on Phillip Nelson's thesis about LBJ ducking in the limo?

Robert Groden tells me you can see LBJ's head over to the far left of that photo. Lady Bird's is about 3 times bigger due to optical illusion of photographing through glass. What LBJ *appears* to be doing is hugging the back door on his side ... as if he were craning his head over to get a view of JFK's head being blown "into a thousand pieces." Also, Rufus Youngblood did not hurdle into the back seat and keep LBJ down and protected.

The fact that LBJ had to make up this fantasy about the heroic Youngblood protecting him (and make Youngblood and Lady Bird go along with the fantasy) is yet more evidence of LBJ's involvement in the JFK assassination. Johnson had to project and pretend that he was a possible victim of assassination too as a way of deflecting from his own involvement. This is why LBJ asks Hoover over the phone were they shooting at me? It is why LBJ acted hurt in some way as he entered Parkland Hospital on the day of the assassination - play acting like he had been shot or was having a heart attack.

LBJ knew very well the bullets were aimed at JFK's head and not his. No reason to duck! But I do think LBJ was hanging kind of low on that door.

Sen. George Smathers reports JFK said that LYNDON JOHNSON WANTED JACKIE TO RIDE WITH HIM (a weird request) in the Texas motorcades. That can be interpreted (or not) as a Southern gentlemanly way of keeping Jackie Kennedy out of the line of fire in Dallas

Lyndon Johnson wanted Jackie to ride in his car in the Texas motorcades. Source: George Smathers who conversed with JFK on Air Force One on the flight back from Florida on Monday, Nov. 18, 1963

On Monday, Kennedy returned to Washington on Air Force One. His back hurt. Lying on his stateroom bed, he summoned George Smathers from the front of the plane: “God, I wish you could think of some way of getting me out of going to Texas…. Look how screwed up it’s going to be. You’ve got Lyndon, who is insisting that Jackie ride with him. You’ve got Ralph Yarborough, who hates Lyndon, and Johnson doesn’t want Yarborough with him. Connally is the Governor.

“They are all prima donnas of the biggest order, and they’re all insisting that they either ride with me or Jackie. The law says the Vice President can’t ride with the President. I’ve got to start off my speech saying what a fine guy Johnson is, what a fine guy Connally is, and then Yarborough, and they all don’t like each other. I just wish to hell I didn’t have to go. Can’t you think of some emergency we could have?”

UNQUOTE

[Michael Beschloss, The Crisis Years: Kennedy and Khrushchev 1960-1963, pp. 665-666]