The Education Forum

Remembering Robert Francis Kennedy.

Posted (edited)

Today, like most days, I pay special reverence to the memory of a personal hero of mine, Robert Francis Kennedy. It was 56 years ago that the tragedy of the ambassador hotel befell our last, shinning light of the 1960s, an era marked by the promise of the new frontier yet was quickly marred by the murders of my political heroes. When I think about the manner in which these men were taken from us, I go back and listen to this speech by Bobby, delivered in the aftermath of Dr. Kings assassination. It is one of my favourite speech’s and it sums up perfectly, in my opinion, the promise and loss of the 1960s. Just as RFK delivered these words in remembrance of his martyred brother and Dr King, I listen to his words today and remember him. God Bless you Bobby, we miss you. 

Edited by Johnny Cairns

A wonderful speech.

The one he gave the night of the murder might have been even better.

Posted (edited)

My wife was just 13 and traveling with her family in Europe when RFK was hit. They were in Rome. She said every newspaper had huge headlines for days. She said from what they could see everyone in that city was devastated. She sensed they felt America was lost. 

Edited by Joe Bauer

Posted (edited)

We all felt that way. I knew it my bones that he would win the Democratic primaries, that I as a new voter would be able to vote for someone great in Nov 1968. But that year surpassed anything we could imagine, and I cannot carry on any meaningful discussions now with anyone who hasn’t looked beyond the headlines, those who fail to understand what my generation witnessed and what it meant. That includes my own children, so I know how pervasive this rewrite of history has been. 

Edited by Paul Brancato

I remember the JFK Assassination.  No school that afternoon, nothing but news on the tv all weekend, the funeral.  But I don't remember the RFK Assassination.  I don't know why.   I've come to learn over the years his death was truly the end of the hope that blossomed with JFK.  The end of an era.  I now have two other more positive reasons to remember the date of his actual death.  June 5, 1991 I delivered my youngest daughter by accident, she came quick.  Me and 911, scary.  Then on June 5, 2015 my youngest granddaughter was born.

I've read this song was about Buddy Holley's death.  I think it maybe appropriate to remember RFK with it as well.  You might say the music of Camelot that day.

Posted (edited)

I remember listening to a recorded call from a lady staff person ( switch board?) employed at the Ambassador hotel to the L.A.P.D. just after JFK was shot.

It went something like this:

We've had a shooting. Senator Robert Kennedy has been shot. Robert Kennedy.

I am not kidding you...the male officer ( dispatcher? ) answering the call said:

"Big Deal!"   In a totally dismissive even hateful tone. As to the caller mentioning Robert Kennedy by name.

No sympathy for RFK's shooting in any way. So cold blooded.

The L.A.P.D. at that time was as Kennedy hating as Dallas in November, 1963.

American history publications don't come close to revealing how far right, racist and Kennedy hating the L.A.P.D. was up until the 70's at least. Remember Sam Yorty?

Edited by Joe Bauer

24 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

I remember listening to a recorded call from a lady staff person ( switch board?) employed at the Ambassador hotel to the L.A.P.D. just after JFK was shot.

It went something like this:

We've had a shooting. Senator Robert Kennedy has been shot. Robert Kennedy.

I am not kidding you...the male officer ( dispatcher? ) answering the call said:

"Big Deal!"   In a totally dismissive even hateful tone. As to the caller mentioning Robert Kennedy by name.

No sympathy for RFK's shooting in any way. So cold blooded.

The L.A.P.D. at that time was as Kennedy hating as Dallas in November, 1963.

American history publications don't come close to revealing how far right, racists and Kennedy hating the L.A.P.D. was up until the 70's at least. Remember Sam Yorty?

The irony of this was in 1963 the chief of the Los Angeles Police Department was William H. Parker who was a close personal friend of JFK and enemy of J. Edgar Hoover: https://online.ucpress.edu/scq/article-abstract/87/2/171/87307/I-Have-No-Use-for-This-Fellow-Parker-William-H?redirectedFrom=fulltext

If JFK had lived and Hoover had been forced to retire on 1/1/1965, William H. Parker of LAPD was very likely to be JFK's pick as next head of the FBI.

William H. Parker, chief of LAPD, died in July of 1966 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Parker_(police_officer)

By 1968, Robert Kennedy had allied himself with liberals and blacks and these people were seen as enemies of the Los Angeles Police Department of 1968.

The Watts riots had occurred in the summer of 1965 and LAPD/black relations were piss poor. And Robert Kennedy was putting himself out there as the preferred candidate for black people in 1968. Add in RFK's growing criticism with the Vietnam War and you get the LAPD not liking Kennedys so much.

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

We all felt that way. I knew it my bones that he would win the Democratic primaries, that I as a new voter would be able to vote for someone great in Nov 1968. But that year surpassed anything we could imagine, and I cannot carry on any meaningful discussions now with anyone who hasn’t looked beyond the headlines, those who fail to understand what my generation witnessed and what it meant. That includes my own children, so I know how pervasive this rewrite of history has been. 

Well said, Paul.  It can be difficult for people who weren't there at the time to understand just how different this country is today.  Name me one anti-war politician around now with any influence. Who could or would give the peace speech today?

I'm amazed that there is a thread on here right now proposing that the Kennedy brothers' murders were linked as if there is some doubt about that.  And some apparently disagree or aren't sure!

Understanding  the political murders of the 60s and what they wrought has the benefit of making it more difficult to be sucked done those worthless rabbit holes --e.g., the mafia did it, or the Cubans, or Russians, or some rogue goons from the CIA. It buries the "false mysteries"  Salandria talked about 26 years ago.  It directs attention toward those with the power to do all of it and drastically change the direction of the country, rather than just focusing on the slaughter in Dallas as somehow an isolated incident.

Well said Roger.

My Canadian family drove from Ontario to Southern California in March 1968. Bobby announced his run for the presidency on our way there. I was a very enthused 15 year old. We got tickets to the Carol Burnett show, and she answered questions from my mother and cousin on air at the start of the show. We were told that the tv episode would be shown on a  certain date. We stopped at a mom and pop hotel on route 66 in Texas on our drive home, and asked the bewildered owners (lovely people ) if we could watch the Carol Burnett show on the television in their lobby. They said yes, and we all huddled around the tv. LBJ  came on announcing that he would not run. Carol's show was not on because of that.

On that fateful day in June, 1968, l stayed up to watch the California results. I was elated that Bobby won, and amazed that Drysdale set a  new shutout record. It was well past midnight here, when I went to  bed. I was devastated by the news the next morning and spent most of the day glued to the tv.

Bobby was a politician, a man, like no other. His death was the loss of hope for the future, even for this 15 year old Canadian. I wrote my law school admissions essay on the impact Bobby had on  me.

We may never see another like him in our time.  

R.I.P.

I’ve been to the Atlantic City Convention Hall numerous times.  Once I was the by myself and went into the main hall.  It was empty.  I could feel the energy… 

Well, since we are posting personal remembrances...

I got the LA Times from the driveway and showed my mother the headline. RFK Shot.

She already knew, of course, but seeing the deadline, she took off her glasses and wiped her face. 

5 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I remember the JFK Assassination.  No school that afternoon, nothing but news on the tv all weekend, the funeral.  But I don't remember the RFK Assassination.  I don't know why.   I've come to learn over the years his death was truly the end of the hope that blossomed with JFK.  The end of an era.  I now have two other more positive reasons to remember the date of his actual death.  June 5, 1991 I delivered my youngest daughter by accident, she came quick.  Me and 911, scary.  Then on June 5, 2015 my youngest granddaughter was born.

I've read this song was about Buddy Holley's death.  I think it maybe appropriate to remember RFK with it as well.  You might say the music of Camelot that day.

My one year old granddaughter was likewise born on June 5th. 

If you listen to the tapes from the Ambassador that night,  really something.

The common refrain is don't harm Sirhan, we don't want another Dallas.

Jungian collective.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

If you listen to the tapes from the Ambassador that night,  really something.

The common refrain is don't harm Sirhan, we don't want another Dallas.

Jungian collective.

It’s never made sense to me that we have no video of the shooting