The Education Forum

Apparent assassination attempt on Trump

Someone lost no time to took advantage of that Supreme Court decision from Huff Post.

The Supreme Court’s decision that Donald Trump has full immunity for “official acts” he took as president is so sweeping and vague that it opens the door for sitting presidents to do whatever they want without any accountability, including assassinating a political rival.

Legal experts said Monday that yes, as horrific and authoritarian as that sounds, the 6-3 decision by the court’s conservative supermajority means that President Joe Biden could theoretically order that Trump be killed and be immune from criminal prosecution.

“Presumptively, he has the power to assassinate a rival,” John Dean, who was White House counsel to former President Richard Nixon, told HuffPost on a call with the Defend Democracy Project, a group that advocates for free and fair elections.

Making matters worse, said Dean, is that the court ruled that “official acts” by a president can’t be used as evidence of criminal conduct for “unofficial acts.” So in a hypothetical scenario involving Biden ordering people to kill Trump, his actual giving of the order would be potentially unavailable for evidence, he said.

The former White House counsel, who called the Supreme Court’s decision “radical,” said the conservative majority also just raised questions about immunity for people who carry out a president’s “official” but criminal activities.

“When Nixon warned that, ‘When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal,’ he went on to say, ‘How could staff operate if they didn’t have a president who was totally immune?’” said Dean. “Presidents are good at giving orders…. They don’t execute those orders themselves. So you have a whole lot of people who have criminal exposure, and this opinion in my quick reading doesn’t cover that.”

Norm Eisen, who served as former President Barack Obama’s ethics czar and as special counsel for Democrats during Trump’s 2019 impeachment trial, said the dissenting opinion by the three Democrat-appointed justices is an unprecedented and dire warning.

Led by Justice Sonia Sotomayor, the dissent says the immunity created by the ruling now “lies about like a loaded weapon” for any president to use however they want, for their own financial interests or political gain, knowing they are insulated from criminal prosecution.

“Orders the Navy’s Seal Team 6 to assassinate a political rival? Immune. Organizes a military coup to hold onto power? Immune. Takes a bribe in exchange for a pardon? Immune. Immune, immune, immune,” Sotomayor wrote.

“When dissenting justices warn that the majority may have just legalized murder by one individual in our country, that warning is to be taken very seriously,” Eisen said. “No more are the consequences of the majority opinion able to be read in isolation…. One of the majority party candidates has repeatedly, not in isolation, made a variety of autocratic promises, including to be a dictator on day one.”

Edited by Karl Kinaski

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An antiquated Mannlicher Carcano more accurate than a modern AR15? 
Who’d have thought…

Reality check.

Cliff Varnell is spot on about the historical facts here.

People need to educate themselves about the facts.  It isn't about "viewpoints" or mere partisan politics.

Anyone who has been in touch with political reality in the U.S. knows that the Republican Party, and Donald Trump, have been heavily-funded by the NRA for years, and have aggressively blocked any Democratic legislative efforts to establish gun control in the U.S.  Trump received $30 million from the NRA in 2016.

Secondly, statistically, 21st acts of domestic terrorism in the U.S. have largely been perpetrated by conservative white males.  Trump's own FBI Director Christopher Wray has made this clear in public testimony.

Right-Wing Extremist Terrorism in the United States | ADL

Thirdly, Donald Trump has repeatedly incited violence against American citizens since 2016-- so-called "stochastic terrorism."  

'No Blame?' ABC News finds 54 cases invoking 'Trump' in connection with violence, threats, alleged assaults. - ABC News (go.com)

The bloodiest example was the El Paso Walmart Massacre, in which a white Trump supporter massacred Mexican American citizens in an El Paso Walmart in response to Trump's (and Fox News) xenophobic fear-mongering about a Mexican invasion of the U.S. border.

Trump has also called for violence against protesters at his rallies, and he openly mocked Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi after her husband was attacked by a man with a hammer.

Edited by W. Niederhut

25 minutes ago, Benjamin Cole said:

GJ-

I agree with you that there has been an Operation Mockingbird and weaponized government investigations against Trump, from even before he won in 2016.  The Russiagate vapors, and the Jan. 6 miasma are bookends. 

The CIA hardly made any secret that they loathed, detested and reviled Trump. 

I agree. 51 Former Intelligence officers swore the Steele Dossier was real. They lied.

Several points I want to touch on about the shooting suspect.

While Mr. Varnell  is quick to point out that the shooter was a Republican, he fails to mention that one's party affiliation is only to determine which ballot you receive for the PRIMARY elections. And since Nikki Haley was on the ballot in this year's Pennsylvania primary, I would ask him to prove that the shooter registered as a Republican to vote for Trump. How does he know that the shooter didn't register as a Republican to vote AGAINST Trump and for Haley ? He doesn't, no one does for sure.

But there may be evidence to support this theory.

According to his 2021 tax filing, the shooter donated $15 to ACTblue, a LEFT-WING political action committee and fund raising platform to get out the Democrat vote.

So why would a Republican be donating to a Democrat PAC ? Ask Mr. Varnell.

So while he accuses me of "not letting the facts get in the way", it is he who doesn't tell the whole story.

This shooter was NOT pro-Trump or a MAGA Republican. He was a left-wing nutjob who wanted to prevent Trump from regaining the White House. I believe he registered as a Republican to vote against Trump in the primary. When it became obvious that Trump would win the election, he took the final step to deny Trump that victory by trying to kill him.

Edited by Gil Jesus

Very interesting photo, apparently shows a bullet traveling close to Trump.

trump-shot-at.jpg

I am sure I read somewhere the film technology Zapruder used wouldn't have shown bullet paths in 1963, I forget the limitations mentioned. I wonder if there is any technology to engineer the Zapruder film into a modern format where it could be possible to see any bullet paths, like as seen in this photo above. I believe this is a still frame taken from a video recording of the Trump event.

14 minutes ago, Karl Kinaski said:

@ Cliff Varnell   

Are you sad that this sicko who climbed that roof undisturbed (like Ruby got into the basement undisturbed) despite seen by several bystanders who alerted the police who did nothing, that this sicko missed his target?

Not at all.  As a student of the JFKA I know how much assassinated politicians are canonized.  Trump thought it was real funny Nancy Pelosi's husband was bludgeoned with a hammer.  Karma's a bitch, ain't it?

And how do you know that murderer is a right winger?

1)  He's a registered Republican.

2)  He posed for a high school yearbook photo in a shirt depicting Mt. Rushmore super-imposed on the Stars and Stripes.

3)  At the shooting he wore the gear of a right wing gun website Demolition Ranch.

Have you already a manifesto in your possession? Your last postings tell me something about you as a human being. 

Let me tell you something about me as a human being.  In 1992 I wrote the text for a set of collector's cards called THE WORLD'S MOST HATED PEOPLE.  I insisted Don Trump had to be in the set.  It was a hit in New York.  Al Goldstein wrote it up in Screw, and I've been told it was discussed on at least one New York radio talk show.

Will Trump get to me in his campaign of retribution?  I doubt it.  But it's possible. 

6 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

I agree. 51 Former Intelligence officers swore the Steele Dossier was real. They lied.

While Mr. Varnell  is quick to point out that the shooter was a Republican, he fails to mention that one's party affiliation is only to determine which ballot you receive for the PRIMARY elections. And since Nikki Haley was on the ballot in this year's Pennsylvania primary, I would ask him to prove that the shooter registered as a Republican to vote for Trump. How does he know that the shooter didn't register as a Republican to vote AGAINST Trump and for Haley ? He doesn't, no one does for sure.

According to his 2021 tax filing, the shooter donated $15 to ACTblue, a LEFT-WING political action committee and fund raising platform to get out the Democrat vote.

So while Mr. Varnell accuses me of "not letting the facts get in the way", it is he who doesn't tell the whole story.

This shooter was NOT pro-Trump or a MAGA Republican. He was a left-wing nutjob who wanted to prevent Trump from regaining the White House. I believe he registered as a Republican to vote against Trump. When it became obvious that Trump would win the election, he took the final step to deny Trump that victory by trying to kill him.

GJ-

You may be correct in your assessment of Trump's shooter. 

While it is waaaayyyy too early yet to say if the shooter was a loner or not, if he was, his politics may be unimportant. That is, he was just a deeply disturbed man. 

It is curious that Trump's protection detail appeared to ignore warnings from people in the crowd that the assailant was taking position on a roof.

That is inexplicable. 

As soon as you are declared a threat to National Security in the US, you are a dead man walking. This was the case with JFK, and yesterday:

Edited by Karl Kinaski

As soon as you are declared a threat to National Security in the US, you are a dead man walking. This was the case with JFK, and yesterday:

Edited by Karl Kinaski

16 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

Registered as a Republican is only one indication.  He posed for a high school yearbook wearing a T-shirt that had Mt. Rushmore super-imposed upon the Stars and Stripes.  Most important, he wore the gear of a right wing gun website to the shooting.  Small Town white boy.

So why would a Republican be donating to a Democrat PAC ? Ask Mr. Varnell.

He made the donation at the time of Biden's inauguration.  As a super patriotic true believer he probably felt it was a patriotic gesture.

So while he accuses me of "not letting the facts get in the way", it is he who doesn't tell the whole story.

And now we get to the part of the exchange where stories are made up out of whole cloth.

This shooter was NOT pro-Trump or a MAGA Republican. He was a left-wing nutjob who wanted to prevent Trump from regaining the White House.

Mt. Rushmore and Demolition Ranch say otherwise.

I believe he registered as a Republican to vote against Trump in the primary.

Who cares what you believe?  You're just making stuff up.

9 minutes ago, Charles Blackmon said:

You might as well be paranoid in addition to everything else.

I don't see why not.  In the early days of the first Trump term sets of TWMHP were going for $200 each and up.  I have 150 un-collated sets in my closet.  I should have jumped on it then -- now sets go for about $70 mint.  Come and get me Crapper -- I can make money off notoriety too.

Edited by Cliff Varnell

Things are getting stranger:

Thomas Matthew Crooks, the 20 year old shooter who tried to assassinate President Donald Trump was featured in a BlackRock commercial in 2023.