The Education Forum

Apparent assassination attempt on Trump

37 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

This shooter was NOT pro-Trump or a MAGA Republican. He was a left-wing nutjob who wanted to prevent Trump from regaining the White House. I believe he registered as a Republican to vote against Trump in the primary. When it became obvious that Trump would win the election, he took the final step to deny Trump that victory by trying to kill him.

Gil,

I'm curious.  How many liberals do you and Charles Blackmon know who register as Republicans, own AR-15s, and dress in camo gear?   I haven't known any, and never have, despite contact with a fairly large sample of psychiatric and substance abusing patients during a 40 year period.

My preliminary hypothesis this morning, before I read the newspaper, was that the young assassin was probably an intelligent Republican who accurately viewed Trump and the Trump cult as threats to American democracy and the planet.

My inference was based on the assumption that the young Republican was a conservative with sufficient intelligence to discern the serious problems with the authoritarian, anti-democratic Trump cult, rather than following the herd.

I later read the newspaper this morning, and learned that the young man had, in fact, won some math and science awards in high school.   We, obviously, need more information, but the young man was, evidently, no dummy.

Edited by W. Niederhut

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many are quick to label the gunman as either an ultra-left-wing Democrat or an ultra-right-wing Republican, depending on their own political leanings. Such rhetoric only deepens the sense of distrust and hatred on either side. 

In the final analysis, this crime was perpetrated by one American citizen against another. As John Kennedy once said, “Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer.” The right answer now is to stop the divisions which exist within the United States and remember that before you are Democrats or Republicans, you are all Americans.

Throughout history, men of different faiths, backgrounds, and politics have answered this nation’s call to defend freedom and democracy in its hour of need. Democrats and Republicans have fought and died together on the fields of Gettysburg, in the trenches of France, and on the beaches of Normandy. They died to protect the freedoms of their fellow human beings. Now, the seed of distrust and hatred is so tightly sown in the Untied States that the country is tearing itself apart.

All I know is, in Arlington Cemetery, both John and Robert Kennedy must be turning in their graves.

Thomas Jefferson once qualified the Untied States as the last best hope for man, but for that to be realised, we must work for one another, not against. 

21 minutes ago, Karl Kinaski said:

Things are getting stranger:

Thomas Matthew Crooks, the 20 year old shooter who tried to assassinate President Donald Trump was featured in a BlackRock commercial in 2023.

Front of the honors class.  No dummy.  

Did all of Trump's talk of dictatorship on day 1 and absolute immunity drive this super-patriotic kid over the edge?

35 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:
59 minutes ago, Gil Jesus said:

I believe he registered as a Republican to vote against Trump in the primary.

Who cares what you believe?  You're just making stuff up.

This is one time I wholeheartedly agree with Cliff !!

This was no security breakdown. Thomas Matthew Crook with his Rifle was deliberately ignored by Local Law enforcement and the secret service ... for minutes. 

13 minutes ago, Karl Kinaski said:

his was no security breakdown. Thomas Matthew Crook with his Rifle was deliberately ignored by Local Law enforcement and the secret service ... for minutes. 

Sooooo.. local law enforcement and the Secret Service conspired to allow this person to shoot at Trump?

11 minutes ago, Karl Kinaski said:

This was no security breakdown. Thomas Matthew Crook with his Rifle was deliberately ignored by Local Law enforcement and the secret service ... for minutes. 

It is inexplicable, the long period of inaction, as crowd members tried to signal to the Trump's protection detail that there was an assassin on a nearby roof. 

And then, the would-be assassin is quickly snuffed, post-event. 

Stray thought: If this was truly an intel-state snuff job, then the dead assassin may not have been the only one firing. That is, he was decoy, or diversion. 

Right now, the story is the shooter was a lone gunman. 

28 minutes ago, Johnny Cairns said:

Many are quick to label the gunman as either an ultra-left-wing Democrat or an ultra-right-wing Republican, depending on their own political leanings.

No Johnny, it depends on facts.  The kid wore a super-patriotic T-shirt in his high school year book, registered Republican when he was 18, and wore the gear of a right-wing gun website when he fired an AR-15 at Trump.  There is nothing left wing about these facts.

Such rhetoric only deepens the sense of distrust and hatred on either side. 

False equivalence.

In the final analysis, this crime was perpetrated by one American citizen against another. As John Kennedy once said, “Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer.” The right answer now is to stop the divisions which exist within the United States and remember that before you are Democrats or Republicans, you are all Americans.

Throughout history, men of different faiths, backgrounds, and politics have answered this nation’s call to defend freedom and democracy in its hour of need. Democrats and Republicans have fought and died together on the fields of Gettysburg, in the trenches of France, and on the beaches of Normandy. They died to protect the freedoms of their fellow human beings.

Freedoms that are under attack by fascists -- Trump and his Project 2025, his unceasing violent rhetoric, his open desire to align with Putin, and his stated desire to suspend the Constitution and be a dictator on Day One scream the fact this is not normal politics.

Now, the seed of distrust and hatred is so tightly sown in the Untied States that the country is tearing itself apart.

Personally, I think the country was more polarized in the 60's and 70's when political bombings were as common as today's mass shootings.

All I know is, in Arlington Cemetery, both John and Robert Kennedy must be turning in their graves.

Especially over that bit where Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito said the two sides cannot live together peacefully.

Thomas Jefferson once qualified the Untied States as the last best hope for man, but for that to be realised, we must work for one another, not against. 

I don't want to live under a Christian Fascist dictatorship, especially when the dictator is an infantile narcissistic career fraudster adjudicated rapist.

Trump promises to bring democracy to an end.  Spare me the kumbaya.

Moderators:

I started this thread and I now request that this thread be moved to political discussions because a couple people have hijacked the thread to push their political views and advance hoaxes that even Snopes has exposed.

My initial motivation for this thread was the comparison of various ad hoc assassination attempts to the seemingly better organized JFKA.   The people who hijacked this thread have made such a comparison/discussion impossible.

@ K K Lane. Could you remove the word "Apparent" from the title? ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT ON TRUMP would be much more appropriate. 

Edited by Karl Kinaski

7 minutes ago, K K Lane said:

Moderators:

I started this thread and I now request that this thread be moved to political discussions because a couple people have hijacked the thread to push their political views and advance hoaxes that even Snopes has exposed.

My initial motivation for this thread was the comparison of various ad hoc assassination attempts to the seemingly better organized JFKA.   The people who hijacked this thread have made such a comparison/discussion impossible.

You wrote:

My reaction: there SEEMS to be a difference between random-assasination attempts (Trump, Ford, Reagan) and JFK (and MLK that seemed more organized by government elements.

Again,this difference isn't dispositive, of course, but I find myself more and more thinking JFK, RFK and MLK are a different breed of assassination. </q>

What's preventing you from expanding on this observation?

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

My preliminary hypothesis this morning, before I read the newspaper, was that the young assassin was probably an intelligent Republican who accurately viewed Trump and the Trump cult as threats to American democracy and the planet.

My take as well.  He was outraged/inspired by Trump's own words (or so I speculate).