The Education Forum

2024 Democratic Presidential Nominee

These are all interesting points. I'll reference back to a discussion we had a few months ago, which concerned the very real ways the electorate has changed since Hillary's run; it's been 8 years and that is an eternity in politics. Look at Nixon between 1960-1968, for example. But IMO the most important metric in that regard is that we now have 30 million more Gen Z kids eligible to vote than we did in 2016. Harris is motivating them in a huge way, a way that just wasn't going to happen for Biden.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

What about Russia Gate and Access Hollywood?

How many times did the Russia-hacked-the-DNC story make the cable news cycle (roughly 9am EST to 9am EST the next day) over the last 5 months of the 2016 Prez campaign?

Twice.  June 14/15 and July 24/25.  Nothing over the last 70 days.

How many times before the election did the Access Hollywood Trump scandal make the cable news cycle after James Comey re-opened the Hillary e-mail non-scandal on Oct. 28, 2016?

Zero.

22 hours ago, Tom Gram said:

The only reason I’m being so critical is because of what happened in 2016.

If we're going to evaluate Trump's appeal and chances in 2024 and use 2016 as one of the yardsticks, I think we should also consider a number of other factors.

Yes, Clinton lost the 2016 election via the electoral college, but it was not a blowout victory for Trump. Clinton won the popular vote after nearly a solid quarter century of right wing media painting her as worse than Satan. In contrast, Trump didn't really have much negative publicity outside of New York until 2016. Indeed, Trump was welcome on talk shows, hosted "Saturday Night Live", and was regularly portrayed on his national reality TV game shows "The Apprentice" and "Celebrity Apprentice" as an all-powerful, wealthy figure everyone reflexively kow-towed to.

Trump lost the electoral college in 2020, and lost the popular vote a second time. A majority of voters did not want him the first time, and nothing he did in four years as president made a majority of voters want him for a second term.

Trump has spent the last eight years doing absolutely nothing to try to appeal beyond his base. He's a known quantity even more than in 2020. In 2016 and 2020 he faced opponents that didn't generate a lot of excitement. Trump was facing an even less exciting version of Biden in 2024 and the polls were still fairly close.

Now, Trump's facing a candidate that is, so far, generating excitement. Imho, the increase in voter registrations alone should concern Trump's campaign. It's doubtful young people are registering to vote for the first time because they're suddenly flocking to Trump.

And honestly, Trump himself is not the same candidate that he was in 2016.  Some of the addresses I saw him give months ago sounded (to me) like he was reading them off the teleprompter for the first time. Now he's saying "The Silence of the Lambs" is a true story. He has zero discipline and would rather riff and do half-assed stand up comedy than stay on message and stick to a stump speech. I feel quite confident that Harris will have much more discipline and focus in her campaign, with a minimum of time referring to fictional characters as being real.

For the 2024 Democratic Veepstakes, I'm now hearing Minnesota Governor Tim Walz has emerged as a contender. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg has also been suggested, and Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear's profile continues to rise in the media.

I don't know how much of it is real or campaign psy ops, but Trump's pick for VP, Ohio Senator J.D. Vance is getting heaping helps of criticism at the moment.

Edited by Denny Zartman

Elon Musk Shares Manipulated Harris Video

July 27, 2024 at 10:07 pm EDT By Taegan Goddard 252 Comments

“Elon Musk, the world’s richest man, has waded into one of the thorniest issues facing U.S. politics: deepfake videos,” the New York Times reports.

“On Friday night, Mr. Musk, the billionaire owner of the social media platform X, reposted an edited campaign video for Vice President Kamala Harris that appears to have been digitally manipulated to change the spot’s voice-over in a deceptive manner.”

“The video mimics Ms. Harris’s voice, but instead of using her words from the original ad, it has the vice president saying that President Biden is senile, that she does not ‘know the first thing about running the country’ and that, as a woman and a person of color, she is the ‘ultimate diversity hire.’”

Edited by W. Niederhut

4 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

Elon Musk is an actual example of an immigrant dangerous to America. 

Deport his ass.

Take Rupert Murdoch with him.

I have a new VP favorite -- Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz.

Double down on the Smart & Cheerful vibe.

11 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Take Rupert Murdoch with him.

I have a new VP favorite -- Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz.

Double down on the Smart & Cheerful vibe.

Is he the guy who said about Vance words to the effect of “he has no conviction, but his running mate has 29”? 

I didn’t actually see that - someone just told me about it yesterday. I’m not really up to speed on the VP candidates. 

Watch Buttigieg  in this Fox interview. This guy could take on anyone now in  politics and 60 years ago could even absolutely  wipe JFK's ass in any debate!             

OMG!, did I say that!

The demands on candidates, the varieties of questions are unlike anything back in the 60's,  The scope of Presidential debates back then were like electing  Andy of Mayberry to office compared to now. By today's standards the Kennedy Nixon debates were child's play between the 40 yard lines, it was very civil and they hardly disagreed about anything really.

We'll see how this develops but the Harris campaign does draw lines very clearly, and mostly to the Dems advantage. Imagine the nerve racking spectacle of still playing between the 40 yard lines with Biden, and I think inevitably losing and greatly hastening the end of his life on the planet!

I don't know  how the electoral politics would work. Is America ready  for the Black/Asian/ Woman/Gay ticket ? Would Buttigieg though being a Gay from Indiana make inroads into the battleground states?  

But for debate, I don't think there could be any better.

Not just against J.D. Vance. But the entire Fox network!

Just watch how Buttigieg stays on message!

I was for Cooper since North Carolina is a key state in the south.

Its amazing how Biden stepping down has changed the entire dynamic of this race.

With Biden, Trump's team thought they were floating toward a rather easy victory. They were counting it like it was a done deal.

But now, they seem to have been run over by a semi.  They really don't know how to react. Just a lot of flailing around, trying to find something that will stick.

And Vance looks like a real liability.

And she has not chosen her VP or had her convention yet.  After those two events she might come out ahead even past the margin or error.