The Education Forum

Was James Tague hit by anything on November 22,1963?

"The FBI also did not support the SBT as they believed all three shots that were fired hit their mark in both men. They still promote this today as they never accepted the claim of witness James Tague who stated that he was hit by a ricochet from a bullet that missed the presidential limousine totally." George Bernard Shaw

I have always thought that what was seen on his face that day was a reopened cut from a recent shave.

Edited by Terry Adams
Add author of quote

As there are chunks of bullets missing, I don´t consider it odd. Trying to find out what bullet it was... Well, good luck with that, given the numurous claims about shots, and were they originated, deflections included... Now, I do admire those trying! But achieving a result to get a majority to believe you, hard, very hard. IMO

Even the bullets or fragments hitting the windshield and it´s frame aren´t exactly clear. Even a drawing of the guys replacing it didn´t really help it seems.

I thought I remembered someone from the DPD witnessing Tague's wound.  So, I went to his book LBJ and the Kennedy Killing.  Nothing there about that.  But, he does say what you see in the picture (?) is not the wound.  He says he had a scratch on his left cheek from 2-3 days before that was healing, scabbed over which is what is seen in this picture he refers to.  He then says the "wound" was on his right cheek, 3-4 drops of blood.

Then I went back to Crossfire by Jim Marrs.  Bingo, 2X.  Officer Clyde Haygood, riding a three wheeled motorcycle back in the parade stopped and went up the grassy knoll and looked around but saw nothing and came back down.  People came up talking to him, one said "he had gotten hit by flying concrete or something, and he did have a slight cut on his right cheek . . ."

"Moments later deputy sheriff Eddy R. (Buddy) Walthers arrived and, pointing to Tague said, "You've got blood on your face."

6 hours ago, Terry Adams said:

"The FBI also did not support the SBT as they believed all three shots that were fired hit their mark in both men. They still promote this today as they never accepted the claim of witness James Tague who stated that he was hit by a ricochet from a bullet that missed the presidential limousine totally."

I have always thought that what was seen on his face that day was a reopened cut from a recent shave.

I have stood with James Tague on the very spot where he was almost hit by a bullet. It hit the curb near his feet and I think a piece of concrete shot upwards and cut his face. In a way that might be very similar to a bullet breaking a Teleprompter and possibly causing a glass shard to cut Donald Trump's ear.

Edited by Robert Morrow

4 hours ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

As there are chunks of bullets missing, I don´t consider it odd. Trying to find out what bullet it was... Well, good luck with that, given the numurous claims about shots, and were they originated, deflections included... Now, I do admire those trying! But achieving a result to get a majority to believe you, hard, very hard. IMO

Even the bullets or fragments hitting the windshield and it´s frame aren´t exactly clear. Even a drawing of the guys replacing it didn´t really help it seems.

I think James Tague personally told me that he was not hit by a bullet but by a fragment of concrete that shot up from the  curb where the bullet struck.

4 hours ago, Robert Morrow said:

I think James Tague personally told me that he was not hit by a bullet but by a fragment of concrete that shot up from the  curb where the bullet struck.

Yes, but I was referring to the bullet (or piece of bullet) that caused that piece of concrete to rocket. Some say it was the first shot that missed JFK, etc.

7 hours ago, Robert Morrow said:

I have stood with James Tague on the very spot where he was almost hit by a bullet. It hit the curb near his feet and I think a piece of concrete shot upwards and cut his face. In a way that might be very similar to a bullet breaking a Teleprompter and possibly causing a glass shard to cut Donald Trump's ear.

Had to be relatively small particles which do not have great range due to air resistance. So it would make sense they originated relatively close to where he was standing.

17 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

That quote you attribute to RFK is from George Bernard Shaw. RFK always credited it to Shaw.

Thank you Joseph, I have edited the quote to show that.  Much appreciated!

To answer the question in the title of this thread, 'Was James Tague hit by anything?'  It appears Mr Tague was hit by a piece of concrete from the Main St., curb, which could only have been struck in turn by a bullet, or bullet fragment.  According to Tague's W.C. testimony he heard the first shot (a loud firecracker like a canon blast) after the presidential limousine had turned onto Elm St.,  Tague believed he was hit around the time of the second shot.  He testified to three shots and was under the impression they came from the pergola area on the north knoll.  F.B.I. tests on the curb found no copper deposits on the strike point, indicating if the bullet was fired from Oswald's rifle it must have been a bullet fragment that hit ten to fifteen feet away from Tague's standing position.

Tague was unable to get entry into the Plaza for the fiftieth anniversary in 2013.  Curbed on two occasions!  He was in bad shape physically.  I got him to sign a copy of his 'LBJ & The Kennedy Killing' with very shaky handwriting.  James passed just a dozen weeks later.

10 hours ago, Jean Ceulemans said:

Yes, but I was referring to the bullet (or piece of bullet) that caused that piece of concrete to rocket. Some say it was the first shot that missed JFK, etc.

I think Tague told me it was clearly NOT the first shot that he heard. Someone needs to double check that.

Prior to his testimony before the Warren Commission, James Tague had been followed around Dallas.

Mr. LIEBELER. Now I understand that you went back there subsequently and took some pictures of the area, isn't that right?
Mr. TAGUE. Pardon?
Mr. LIEBELER. I understand that you went back subsequently and took some pictures of the area.
Mr. TAGUE. Yes; about a month ago.
Mr. LIEBELER. With a motion picture camera?
Mr. TAGUE. Yes; I didn't know anybody knew about that.

A few years ago I came across a website or blog post where someone had compiled photos of contemporary photos of all the locations in the plaza where there were marks and gouges from possibles bullet strikes.  Not sure what the site was but I’ll look around and see if I can find it.

2 hours ago, Mike Aitken said:

A few years ago I came across a website or blog post where someone had compiled photos of contemporary photos of all the locations in the plaza where there were marks and gouges from possible bullet strikes.

From memory I think Groden had one photograph of a mark on the paved area north side of Elm St., which Groden purports lines up with the TSBD west window.  There is also the supposed mark on the manhole cover that Groden proposes lines up with the Records Bldg., on the south side of Elm with Buddy Walthers in the photograph , where the mysterious feebee agent is pictured picking something out of the grass.  I recall Bill Decker in the Lead car reported a bullet strike hit the road.  If we include the statements of Stavis Ellis, H.R. Freeman, Dr Evalea Glanges and reporter Richard Dudman seeing a hole in the windshield and add those to Tague's strike and it's getting like the Alamo.

This is from the South curb on Main Str, according the description. Now, I do remember seeing another picture but that mark was different IMO (unless my memory is off again, wouldn´t be the first time...) 

From jfk.org :

curb.jpg.2107eb3963258c9307be3cccd1d35938.jpg

My memory was fine, only the picture I remembered was upside-down...

curb.jpg.26ace35ee6ec09d8b8836a394d0796e6.jpg

Edited by Jean Ceulemans