The Education Forum

William Pawley

John Simkin

I appreciate that various people here are reading my book--in one case very carefully--yet I am astonished at how difficult it seems to be for people to distinguish what it does and does not say, even to the point of ascribing accusations to me that I did not make.

While I found William Pawley a most interesting figure and unearthed a great deal of new data about him and his activities, at no time did I state that he was definitely involved in the conspiracy to kill the President. I identified John Martino, Santo Trafficante, Carlos Marcello, and of course Ruby and Oswald as participants. For the record, I did not so identify Loran Hall either, although I did say that he is the link (because of the Odio incident) between Oswald on the one hand and Martino and Trafficante on the other. I have no way of knowing what Hall might or might not have known about the events of NOvember 22 before they took place. Because Martino had so many connections to so many people (including Pawley), his involvement opens the way to speculation about a lot of other folks, too, and Pawley is one of them. Pawley's suicide (there is not a shred of evidence that it was anything else) is somewhat suspicious because the HSCA was trying to interview him at that time, but his family said he was very ill and in great pain. I took great care in The Road to Dallas not to go beyond the evidence I had, and to make definite statements only when clear facts supported them. There is no such evidence linking Pawley to the assassination, and thus, I did not say anything to implicate him. Perhaps my practice of distinguishing between what might be true and what pretty clearly is true is so unusual among JFK authors that seasoned veterans of the case have trouble recognizing it for what it is.

David Kaiser

Thank you for your contribution here regarding your book. Although I have not had a chance to read it yet, I have placed it on my "to do" list in the very near future. I appreciate your clarification on William Pawley, and what "was or was not said" in your book.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate that various people here are reading my book--in one case very carefully--yet I am astonished at how difficult it seems to be for people to distinguish what it does and does not say, even to the point of ascribing accusations to me that I did not make.

While I found William Pawley a most interesting figure and unearthed a great deal of new data about him and his activities, at no time did I state that he was definitely involved in the conspiracy to kill the President. I identified John Martino, Santo Trafficante, Carlos Marcello, and of course Ruby and Oswald as participants. For the record, I did not so identify Loran Hall either, although I did say that he is the link (because of the Odio incident) between Oswald on the one hand and Martino and Trafficante on the other. I have no way of knowing what Hall might or might not have known about the events of NOvember 22 before they took place. Because Martino had so many connections to so many people (including Pawley), his involvement opens the way to speculation about a lot of other folks, too, and Pawley is one of them. Pawley's suicide (there is not a shred of evidence that it was anything else) is somewhat suspicious because the HSCA was trying to interview him at that time, but his family said he was very ill and in great pain. I took great care in The Road to Dallas not to go beyond the evidence I had, and to make definite statements only when clear facts supported them. There is no such evidence linking Pawley to the assassination, and thus, I did not say anything to implicate him. Perhaps my practice of distinguishing between what might be true and what pretty clearly is true is so unusual among JFK authors that seasoned veterans of the case have trouble recognizing it for what it is.

David Kaiser

David;

Although I normallyl consider it hardly worthwhile to continue to invest in JFK assassinattion related books, I must also admit that your work appears to be something which I would not only learn from, but could be another of the "keys" to making the ties between the money and the event.

LHO was, beyond any reasonable doubt, engaged in a course of action which was designated to get him into Cuba.

Which by all available information appears to have been for the same reason as others before him, who had failed.

Since LHO was not truely a political fanatic, then this pretty well leaves the motive(s) for his actions undefined.

Which generally leads to "money".

Personally, I have little doubt that LHO, for money, was clearly being manipulated into a position in which he could possibley take Castro out.

However, after the Mexico City event, LHO's actions demonstrate a clear and concise change in actions which also demonstrate that his "target" had now become JFK.

The only question remaining in my mind would be was this a "directed" course of action which changed the target from Castro to JFK, or did LHO, due to not being able to accomplish his originally designated task, lose out completely on some large monetary "bonus", and thusly blame JFK.

In which his retaliation was to assassinate JFK as a result of his loss, and without the "direction" of whoever was behind his prior actions which had been targeted directly at Castro.

Within those parameters, I can easily acccept that Pawley was at least a part of the plan and the money behind any plan to take out Castro.

Which does not mean that he was behind the ultimate actions of LHO.

Lastly! Where is your book available?

Tom

Tom,

For someone who recently posted the following statement, I find it hard to believe that you have to even ask where to get David Kaiser's Book:

======================================

{Your Quote}

"Anyone who has paid the least bit of attention would be aware that the "Pawley" family is from South Carolina and that "Pawley's Island" is named after this family. The family owned large plantations throughout this area prior to the Civil War, and were primarily engaged in the business of rice farming utilizing slave labor. After the Civil War, the family lost most of it's land and holdings. Most of which information is readily available to any true researcher, and most of which was also posted here long ago. Which happens to demonstrate the level of research which is frequently carried out on this forum.

Unfortunately, when one sees the "Education Forum", they are often misguided in assumption that those who post here have taken the time and effort to "educate" themselves on the respective subject matter.

{End Your Quote}

==============================================

Try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Dallas-Assassin...7475&sr=8-1

I found it on a little known site called Google.

Edited by Cash Pawley

Cash, Welcome to the Forum and thanks much for being here and helping us out. You and Tosh and maybe one other forum member knew your uncle - for the rest of us, he is just a historical figure - and to all of us, I think, an important one. I can't speak for all, but I know I am desirous to get to the truth, wherever it lies. Please don't be put-off by some thinking things quite different from your own views. Please just help us sort it all out and get to the truth. I know bits and pieces on Pawley are on other threads here on the Forum, as well. They are probably most easily found using the google search engine + education forum, but you can try the internal search function [i find not very selective]. I know Tosh well and know he sometimes gets a bee in his bonnet about researchers and their agendas. Tosh, some do have a point of view and won't move from it, though they differ, others are honestly looking to try to approximate the objective truth. Bear with us both of you. Again Cash, thanks. Can't help but see you list your location as Pawley's Island. I assume a family owned one in Florida. Let's carry on and dig deep for the truth - wherever it takes us. History demands it. Thanks all. James, ifyou are watching this thread, I'm sure we'd all appreciate some nice photos - as they don't last long on the old threads. Cash, perhaps before getting into all the missions and speculations as to his [alleged] funneling of money to those who might have been in the mix or made to later look like being in the mix, I'd appreciate your own memories of him and those of your immediate family - both as to him as a person, and his career and political [overt and covert] activities, deeds and connections - at any time, but especially in the years just prior to the events in Dallas - when the war with Cuba was most intense. Thanks again.

Can't help but see you list your location as Pawley's Island. I assume a family owned one in Florida.

About like most of your other assumptions!

http://www.encyclo.co.uk/define/paw

Pawley's Island

Pawley's Island is a town in Georgetown County South Carolina, USA

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who has paid the least bit of attention would be aware that the "Pawley" family is from South Carolina and that "Pawley's Island" is named after this family.

The family owned large plantations throughout this area prior to the Civil War, and were primarily engaged in the business of rice farming utilizing slave labor.

After the Civil War, the family lost most of it's land and holdings.

Most of which information is readily available to any true researcher, and most of which was also posted here long ago.

Which happens to demonstrate the level of research which is frequently carried out on this forum.

Unfortunately, when one sees the "Education Forum", they are often misguided in assumption that those who post here have taken the time and effort to "educate" themselves on the respective subject matter.

Tom, I am already not liking you very much. Your tone towards other posters on here is one that indicates that you are the ONLY EDUCATED individual who posts here.

Try to remember that some people join a thread much later than the original posting, and can't find the time to scroll through most of the crap that is posted and re-posted and re-quoted over and over again. (You know you can delete part of the QUOTES - when you respond to a posting - that are not relevent to the material you are responding to). This way we don't have to re-read your entire posting over and over and over again. This elimanates precious time not having to scroll past all the useless information time and time again.

P.S. - How about a photo of you more recent than 30+ years ago.

Thank you for your kind words on behalf of my Great Uncle. Yes, he was a very honorable man who reached his hand out to many people (even those not deserving of it). ALthough he did not like JFK, he ABSOLUTELY had nothing to do with his assassination.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.jfk-online.com/jpsgatguat.html

That is how the FBI version of the meeting ends. According to a CIA document dated June 26, 1953, the following also occurred:

-

After leaving the FBI offices, BARRIOS and GATLIN met with a Mr. DUNBAR, who occasionally represents the United Fruit Co. in New Orleans. They asked for one million dollars from the United Fruit Co., in support of BARRIOS' intended revolutionary movement in Guatemala, but they were unsuccessful in obtaining any commitment.

-------------------------------------

On June 25, 1953, the FBI was contacted by a retired Army officer, whose name has been withheld for privacy reasons (referred to here as P-1). P-1 said that Gatlin had approached him with a shopping list of armaments which included three P-38 fighters and three P-51 fighters, along with ammunition. Gatlin said he was acting on behalf of an unnamed Colonel (undoubtedly, Barrios y Pena) who was planning an anti-Communist revolution in Guatemala. Gatlin asked P-1 if he knew General Claire Chennault. P-1 replied that he did, and concluded that Gatlin assumed that P-1 could obtain the weapons through Chennault.

--------------------------------------

Hopefully, you were going to get around to telling us all about the events in Guatemala and the various "roles" you Uncle played in these events.

You were aware of the fact that your "Aunt", Annie Hahr Dobbs Pawley was a descendent of a noted Confederate Officer, as well as being a graduate of the "Sophie Newcomb" College in New Orleans????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Newcomb_College

H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College, or Newcomb College, was the coordinate women's college of Tulane University located in New Orleans, Louisiana.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Did you also address in your book your "distant cousin/cousin to Annie Hahr Dobbs Pawley", one Captain John Birch, who, passing himself off as a minister while in fact an OSS asset in China, was executed for his activities.

If memory serves correctly, did not your Uncle have some relationship in CHINA??

Tom, I am already not liking you very much. Your tone towards other posters on here is one that indicates that you are the ONLY EDUCATED individual who posts here.

Nope!

Just considerably more "educated" in the ways and means of which the US Government is more than willing to aid an individual in attaining wealth so long as they are willing to comply with those requests of the "official and/or unofficial" government. Irrelevant as to the actual scruples of the person!

Wanna take a guess as to exactly why I turned down the employment interview opportunity with Perot's people?

Hell, even I could get rich if the government gave me a "blanket" contract/aka blank check to computerize the operations of the US Government.

Hope you were not of the misinformed impression that the Perot Hostages (Iran) were just innocent bystanders who were merely sitting around minding their own business.

Did you also believe that one could merely go to the local flea market/yard sale and purchase all of the "high-tech" aircraft parts which were a part of the initial "exchange" for these hostages.

Reality check time!

When the US Government needs the services of some "Eccentric" millionaire and one is not available, then they have little moral difficulty in creation of one. As well as a continued effort to protect the image and reputations of same.

Think "Glomar Explorer"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriotism

It would appear that my personal lack of "reading comprehension" has now been fully exposed.

For, as many times as I have read the above information, nowhere within it could I find that "Patriotism" requires one to insure that what's financiall "good for the country" must also be financially good for oneself.

Otherwise, one is not a "Patriot"!

Was it not our great leader LBJ who made statements to the effect: "Hell, if it ain't financially good for me personally, then it can't be financially good for the country"

Perhaps that is why I chose the email name of "TEmptyPockets".*

*Actually, it was to immediately inform my two sons, who only contacted me when they wanted more money, another car/truck/etc;, what the answer would be before they even asked.

The "pockets" were now completely "empty" as far as they were concerned!

Which of course also turned out not to be true, as the smart one recalled that I had promised that so long as he was in "School" that I would assist.

So, he merely entered Law School!

Herein lies the actual "Hero" of the Pawley family. (distant cousin to William D. Pawley by his marriage to Annie Hahr Dobbs)

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,872243,00.html

On Aug. 25, 1945, ten days after the end of World War II, a slender, 27-year-old captain in the Army Air Forces named John Birch was kitted in China by a band of Communists

When John was two years old, his family returned to the U.S., and he was raised in New Jersey and Georgia.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps a member of the "Pawley" family would like to explain exactly how many of them moved to New Jersey, prior to the "family" move back down into Florida.

No doubt, most have forgotten by now, but wanna guess as to where Annie Hahr Dobbs Pawley was born?

---------------------------------------------

Name: Annie Hahr Dobbs

Given Name: Annie Hahr

Surname: Dobbs

Sex: F

_UID: F823F042CFDDD511AEDAE0601FF39D30866A

Note:

Annie Hahr Dobbs Pawley attended Randolph-Macon in Virginia and Sophie Newcomb in New Orleans. During WWI she attended the National Service School in Washington DC. She married William Douglas Pawley of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, July 25, 1919. In 1925 they moved to Miami and then moved to Havana, Cuba, in 1928. They returned with their 3 children to Miami where their youngest child was born. The Pawleys then moved to Shanghai, China, with the baby, leaving their other children in Miami Beach with family. Mrs. Pawley lived in China until 1938 with periodic trips back to Miami. They were divorced in 1941, and Annie Hahr lived in her home at 3190 Pine Tree Drive, Miami Beach. She was ill for many years.

Six grandchildren: Clifton Dobbs Pawley, Jr., Margaret Hahr Mckay, William Pawley Mckay, Douglas Graham Mckay, Irene Gravely West, and _______. One great-grandchild, Clifton Dobbs Pawley III.

From The Miami News, Friday, 2 May, 1986, p. 3A

Birth: 20 JAN 1898 in Marietta, Cobb Cnty, GA; USA

Death: 30 APR 1986 in Miami Beach, FL; USA

Christening: Woodlawn Cemetery, Miami (Miami Beach ?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How does one go about getting into Tulane and/or Sophie Newcomb?

Guaranteed Admission: (Years ago anyway)

Grandpa:

Name: Franz Josef Carl Johan Hahr

In 1861 he was living in Cumberland County, North Carolina. On April 17 of that year he enlisted in the Confederate States of America (CSA). His career in the CSA apparently had been noteworthy by virtue of the fact that he has been mentioned in various publications:

In the book: "Histories of the several regiments and battalions from North Carolina in the great war of 1861-65," by Walter Clark he was cited in Vol. 1, p. 118: Franz Hahr was Commandant of Conscript Camp; The Bethel Regiment

also in vol 4, p. 383: The Nineteenth Battalion was a battalion of "light duty" men, 5 companies, commanded by Major F. J. Hahr, a gallant Swede who had been disabled by wounds. On page 548, in same vol: Major Hahr, an accomplished Swede, served as Aide-de-Camp to General Kirkland during this battle (Bentonville), and was cool and efficient under fire.

Franz Hahr was also cited in Official Reports of War of the Rebellion: Series I, vol. 46, Part II, page 1187, and vol. 51, page 988; Series IV, vol. 3, page 490.

The War Department in Washington, DC sent letter, dated 28 Feb 1934, to Mrs. H. C. Dobbs (Annie von Schele Hahr, his daughter), presumably in resonse to a letter from her requesting any information they may have on Franz Hahr's Confederate States of America military Service record.

Below is a copy of this letter:

[ The records show that Franz J. Hahr, not found as Franz Joseph Hahr, Company F, 1st Regiment North Carolina Infantry, (6 months 1861) Confederate States Army, enlisted April 17, 1861 at Fayetteville. Aged 36 years. He was mustered in as Corporal May 13, 1861 for 6 months and was appointed Quartermaster Sergeant of the Regiment May 20, 1861, but no

record of him has been found as of this regiment. He was appointed 1st Lieutenant and Drill Master, Confederate States Army, June 24, 1862 and ordered to report to Camp of Instruction #1 at Raleigh, North Carolina.

He was appointed Major February 11, 1864 to rank from December 14, 1863 to command Camp of Instruction, Conscript Bureau and served for a considerable time at Camp Holmes, North Carolina.

Under date of June 4, 1864 he was mentioned as Major commanding Mallett's Battalion near Weldon, N.C., and on January 31, 1865 as Major commanding Battalion of light duty men at Post of Wilmington, N.C. In March, 1865 he was temporarily attached to the Staff of General [William W.] Kirkland as Inspector General. He was paroled at Greensboro, North Carolina May 1, 1865 in accordance with the terms of a Military Convention entered into on

the 26th day of April 1865, as Major and Brigadier Inspector of Kirkland's Brigade, Hoke's Division, Hardee's Corps.]

From a copy found in an old scrapbook kept by Annie von Schele Hahr:

[ To whom it may concern:

This is to certify that F. J. Hahr enlisted in my command, Company F, 1st Regiment, N.C. Volunteers, Confederate States Army, in April 1861. He was connected with the Company until its disbandment. He was a brave and faithful soldier and in every respect worthy of the higher rank which he later atttained in the Confederate Service.

Signed, Y. B. Stern (or Israel B. Stern ? -- blurred), Captain, Company F,

First Regiment, N.C. Volunteers. ]

Letter from Annie Von Schele Hahr dated 28 April 1952:

[...My Father was twice wounded in service. He lay in a frozen trench. This left him with rheumatism of the heart, from which he suffered ever afterward. Dropsy followed and took him away. ]

Franz Hahr Stewart's notes say he was present at Appomattox, and referred

to Lafayette Light Infantry (this needs to be checked).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Annie Hahr Dobbs (brother) (also a distant cousin to John Birch)

Name: Herbert Clifton Dobbs

Given Name: Herbert Clifton

Surname: Dobbs

Suffix: (Jr)

Sex: M

Title: (Jr)

_UID: F423F042CFDDD511AEDAE0601FF39D30822A

Note:

Herbert Dobbs helped begin flight operations to Latin America and the Caribbean during his 38 years as an airline executive. He attended the UnIversity of Georgia. His start in aviation came in 1917, when he left law school at Georgetown UnIversity and joined the US Army. He was sent overseas and trained as a pilot in the Italian-made Caproni night bombers,

of which only two remain.

(Daughter Louise was an invited guest representing him at the dedication of the Caproni exhibit at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB.)

He was soon commissioned as a first lieutenant in the Air Force and flew day and night bombing raids over enemy lines. He was stationed in Italy under the squadron command of former New York Mayor Fiorella LaGuardia. Herbert was decorated with the Italian Croce al Merito de Guerra, as well as with the Battle of the Piave River medal. In 1924, he moved to Miami. Five years later he joined Pan American Airways as Latin America division

manager. "He was sent down on a training boat to open their first airfields in Cuba, Haiti and the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico for a four-year stint in the late 1920s." He ended his 18 year career at Pan Am in 1947 to become vice president of National Airlines. In 1950, he joined Eastern Airlines as vice president in charge of flight relations and passenger handling for the Latin America division. When a plane was hijacked to Cuba, in one of the first such incidents, the airlines sent Mr. Dobbs to negotiate with the new Cuban regime for its release. He retired from Eastern in 1967, receiving a certificate of "distinguished

achievement" for his 43 years in aviation.

Birth: 27 AUG 1893 in Marietta, Cobb Cnty, GA; USA

Death: 28 MAY 1989 in Coral Gables, Dade Cnty, FL; USA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone for taking a guess as to how William D. Pawley got into the "Airplane" business?

How many are familiar with any of the "Pan Am" connections?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the true "HERO"!

"Birch went to China as a missionary in 1940, and was caught there by Pearl Harbor. In 1942, as he was trying to find a way to enlist, the war literally dropped in on him. He was taken one night by a native to a man who had fallen out of the sky. The fallen: Lieut. Colonel Jimmy Doolittle. Birch led Doolittle and a group of the survivors of the Tokyo raid to safety, then joined the unit that later became General Claire Chennault's Fourteenth Air Force and began a remarkable career in air combat intelligence. Wrote Chennault later: "Birch was the pioneer of our field-intelligence net."

-----------------------------------

Since we have so much "pilot" input into this forum, it is a shame that one of them has not taken the time and effort to explain the establishment "of E & E nets"' (Escape & Evasion)

Well prior to actual air operations, persons are/were inserted into areas to set up and establish E&E nets for any downed pilots.

Primarily a function of the OSS in those days, such activities long ago fell under the auspices of Special Forces units.

During WWII this fell under the auspices of the OSS and has a lot to do with the insertion of such groups as the "Jedburg" Teams.

As a part of any pilot's breifing prior to aerial operations, they are given the "E & E net" information relative to whom to make contact with in various areas in which they may be downed.

Any "covert" type aerial operation also has such "nets" established, and any pilot (air crew) who has flown combat military operations as well as other forms of covert operations, is well aware of the E&E net establishement.

Makes one wonder why someone who has merely jumped from aircraft has to explain such things.

--------------------------------------------------

"Traveling up to 100 miles behind enemy lines, Birch radioed back word on prime Japanese targets. He directed the building of three airstrips within enemy territory. For his work, Birch was awarded the Legion of Merit, got a posthumous Oak Leaf Cluster for "exceptionally meritorious service."

Birch was eventually transferred to the Office of Strategic Services and was assigned late in the war to a tiny, scorpion-infested base at Sian in North China"

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.warbirdforum.com/recruit.htm

Procurement of Personnel for China

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY

Office of the Secretary

Washington

CONFIDENTIAL February 1, 1941

SUBJECT: Procurement of Personnel for China

1. Mr. Pawley and Colonel Chennault called today and informed me that an agreement had been reached between Curtiss, Inter-Continent and the Chinese for the servicing of 100 P-40's for China. It is also agreed that Inter-Continent will handle the procurement of American personnel.

2. Personnel requirements are:

100 pilots

150 enlisted ground crew.

They emphasized the need for experienced personnel and the only feasible solution appears to be Reserve officers and enlisted men. They are ready to send [their?] people, Pawley, Leighton and Chennault, at once to the Air Stations, both Army and Navy, to find volunteers. They realize the necessity for keeping things quiet and will take due precautions.

3. The followign will be required:

(a) Approval by War and Navy Departments of resignations of Reserve personnel without detriment to their future status in the service, in order to accept employment with the Central Aircraft Corporation.

Note: BuNav is ready to do this, but it will have to be taken up with the Army, and I understand that General Arnold has not yet been informed by Secretary Stimson. I suggest that you personally take this up with Secretary Stimson, and also with Admiral Towers, who is not very enthusiastic about the idea, I believe.

(B) Deferment of draft through Mr. [illegible], inasmuch as these people will all be subject to draft as soon as released from Reserve status.

© Passports to be cleared by State Department, the applicants requesting passports to China for employment with Central Aircraft Corporation.

Note: I have taken this up with the State Department and they are willing to issue the passports to individuals as bona fide employees of Central Aircraft.

(d) Pawley, Leighton and Chennault should have letters from someone in the War and Navy Departments, either the Secretarys or Chiefs of Personnel, authorizing them to visit the various Air Stations.

(e) It was pointed out to me that this considerable organization would hardly be worth sounding out and estabishing unless there were an excellent prospect for further rlease of planes to carry on the work. They will have to start more or less from scratch in [illegible] and work their way in against probable opposition.

/s/ [illegible]

=============================================================

Birch went to China as a missionary in 1940,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, the name "The John Birch Society" gives discredit to the feats; deeds; and bravery of the actual individual.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello all I am wondering if anyone has read the following article by Mad Max Holland. It focusses heavily on Claire Booth Luce and William Pawley, has a lot of details about each and leaves out even more details. The article is about the mystery surrounding the source of Senator Keating's info re the missiles in Cuba, and how he heard about it before JFK. The author suggests that the source was either Claire Boothe Luce or Pawley or some combination. But the whole thing reads like its seved up from past serves. For expamle at one point Holland claims that James McCloy shopped the infor to Kearing, because he was angry that nothing was being done, but that Keating was reluctant to cooperate. But the source of that tale was Helms. Hmmm.

He talks about the role of private companies in US intelligece while being dellicate about whether these companies were actually CIA or not. THis one is a doozie and im not sure how to spell that word. Has anyone else read it? There is so much worth decoding here we should perhaps send it to Washington Recoded!

-----

A Luce Connection: Senator Keating, William Pawley, and the Cuban Missile Crisis.Preview By: Holland, Max. Journal of Cold War Studies, Fall99, Vol. 1 Issue 3, p139-167, 29p; DOI: 10.1162/152039799316976832; (AN 6934207)

I would like to print it here but its on JSTOR which doesnt coppy well.

Has anyone read it and what do you make of it.

Edited by Nathaniel Heidenheimer

• 1 year later...

Hello all I am wondering if anyone has read the following article by Mad Max Holland. It focusses heavily on Claire Booth Luce and William Pawley, has a lot of details about each and leaves out even more details. The article is about the mystery surrounding the source of Senator Keating's info re the missiles in Cuba, and how he heard about it before JFK. The author suggests that the source was either Claire Boothe Luce or Pawley or some combination. But the whole thing reads like its seved up from past serves. For expamle at one point Holland claims that James McCloy shopped the infor to Kearing, because he was angry that nothing was being done, but that Keating was reluctant to cooperate. But the source of that tale was Helms. Hmmm.

He talks about the role of private companies in US intelligece while being dellicate about whether these companies were actually CIA or not. THis one is a doozie and im not sure how to spell that word. Has anyone else read it? There is so much worth decoding here we should perhaps send it to Washington Recoded!

-----

A Luce Connection: Senator Keating, William Pawley, and the Cuban Missile Crisis.Preview By: Holland, Max. Journal of Cold War Studies, Fall99, Vol. 1 Issue 3, p139-167, 29p; DOI: 10.1162/152039799316976832; (AN 6934207)

I have been doing some digging and discovered a couple of unusual items that are indirectly

and directly related to the Bayo-Pawley Raid aka Operation Tilt.

The first is an article from October 7, 1964, which is reprinted below

Refugee Groups See Soviet Missile Buildup;

By William Giandoni

Copley News Service

Dallas Morning News; Date: 10-07-1964;

Another Soviet military buildup is under way in Communist Cuba,

according to information reaching the American Security Council.

"The installation of missiles poised for a final fateful shot at

America's heart" is being reported by Cuban exile sources.

The council's informants are the same refugee

group that provided the first warning of the missile crisis in the

Caribbean two years ago.

It quoted Paul D. Bethel, a former career foreign service officer

who served in the U. S. Embassy in Havana during Fidel Castro's

rise to power as saying "there is no doubt in my mind . . . that

there are medium-range missiles on Cuba."

The council, a private organization that keeps abreast of

developments affecting United States security, voiced its warning

in its privately circulated "Washington Report"

It said current reports of the Soviet arms buildup in Cuba are

meeting a "stony wall of silence" in official circles in Washington.

Those U.S. officials that comment unofficially cast doubt on the

reliability of the sources of the information.

The Defense Department says only that "our surveillance is

continuing"

The council appears to be most impressed with the information

coming from the Citizens Committee for a Free Cuba, of which

Bethel is executive secretary. The Committee is a group of

prominent American's concerned about the threat to the United

Sates posed by Soviet Cuba. It includes among its members

Dr. Edward Teller, the nuclear scientist; Brig. General S. L. A.

Marshall, the military analyst and Adm. Arleigh A. Burke,

retired, chief of naval operations, and member of the Joint Chiefs

of Staff when the missile crisis climaxed in Cuba in October 1962.

The Citizens Committee says that a shipment of arms arrived

August 11, at the port of Matanzas, on Cuba's north coast, 80

miles east of Havana. Included were "12 enormous 26-wheeled

truck-trailers" of a type "used to transport the medium range

and intermediate range ballistic missiles from dockside to

launching site in 1962."

Another convoy was reported to have carried "huge cylindrical

objects" covered by tarpaulins.

"The truck-trailers handling these objects were driven by Russians

and escorted by Soviet soldiers in small vehicles and by truckloads

of Cuban militia. All entrance roads to the highway out of

Matanzas were blocked by security guards armed with

machine guns as the trucks made their way in convoy east out of

the city heading to the south of Las Villas province,"

according to the report.

Construction of missile silos on a hill near Guanabacoa, on the north

coast of Havana province, also was reported.

Former Cuban labor leader Victor Alegria Torres said that the

familiar 26-wheeled truck-trailers arrived at the site carrying

hollow cylindrical objects.

Construction work began Guanabacoa started about six months

ago, Torres said.

According to the council's information, considerable construction

is going on in the caves that honeycomb Cuba, particularly in

Matanzas, Las Villas, Oriente and Havana provinces.

END

The second is in reference to Hede Massing, who

was apparently, to some degree, linked to the controversy surrounding Operation Tilt.

I will reprint it as I found it:

A final word on Massing's CIA connections, as indicated

by the FBI.

The Bureau was quite right according to CIA records from the

Archives. A 6/18/78 review of CIA files by Charles Beck

(CIA Segregated Collection 29-22-06 NARA 180-10143-10404)

lists an informant named Prisbeck whose "real name" is Hede

Massing. A second document

(CIA Segregated Collection 48-14-08A NARA 180-10144-10389)

records a "debriefing" of Prisbeck on 2/12/64 in which she

describes her meeting with Sylvia and Nathaniel Weyl and John Martino

in much the same terms she offered the FBI, except the escape

being planned in Cuba was for "four Russian generals, in charge of training

and organizing the Cuban military." How did

Russian scientists become Russian generals in the few days

between Massing's interviews by the FBI and the CIA?

Regarding the question of "How did Russian scientists

become.......

One answer would be......

because the whole story was an orchestrated

attempt to tar the Kennedy administration to a degree that

was designed by its creators to have been a 1964 version

of Watergate, with an artificial smoking gun.

The importance of Operation Tilt in 2011, is identifying

the linkages in "who was doing what and when."

Paul Bethel and Hede Massing seem a lot more interesting

now than in the past.

Especially Bethel, when you do the math on whose

names are associated with the American Embassy in Cuba.

I haven't read it, yet, but will when I get a chance. Max is busy wrapping up his exoneration of the Warren Commission.

In any case, I think the question of Sen. Keating's source has been answered, and the answer is Col. Corso - that is if you believe Col. Corso, because he is wrapped up with the whole UFO/Roswell U2 cover story and other confirmed disinformation operations.

Also recall that Keating is a good friend of Lisa Howard, the reporter who interviewed Castro, Kruschev and Kennedy and was the go-between for the JFK-Castro meetings at her apartment in NYC.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=15829&st=0&p=195124&hl=+corso%20+&fromsearch=1entry195124

Col. Philip J. Corso and Sen. Kenneth Keating (Rep. NY)

In the weeks and days leading up to the Cuban missile crisis, Sen. Kenneth Keating, a New York state Republican, was one of the first to criticize President Kennedy for failing to address the issues of Soviet missiles in Cuba. The other person was Clare Booth Luce, whose articles in Life Magazine also made an issue of the possiblity of Soviet missiles in Cuba. Luce's sources that the missiles were there were her anti-Castro Cuban maritime commandos, who had close contacts in Cuba and often went there to deliver arms and sabatours.

As noted in the books about the crisis, including Dino Brugioni's "Eyeball to Eyeball," Keating would not reveal the source of his information on the missiles. Now we know, it was U.S. Army Col. Philip J Corso, who acknowledges that he was the source of Keating's allegations, and his source was a Pentagon Army Intelligence officer affiliated with NPIC who had obtained the photos from U2 survillance flights.

For those who see parallels between the characters in the Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis and the assassination of President Kennedy, both Col. Corso and Sen. Keating are repeat offenders.

After the assassination, Keating became a fierce opponent of RFK, and was a close friend of ABC News reporter Lisa Howard, whose boss was former Eisenhower's press spokesman, both of whom were knowledgable of and facilitators of JFK's backchannel communications with Castro (via William Attwood and Carlos Lechuga at the UN). Howard publicly endorsed Keating over RFK before she died mysteriously of a drug overdose in the same fashion as MM and Dorithy Killgallon.

Col. Corso was the Army's chief of R&D under Gen. Trudeau, and was well known for having promoted the idea that there were still American POWs in Korea years after the war's end, that the Bureau of Estimates and other US intelligence agencies were penetraated by the KGB, and oh, yea, that the Army R&D (his outfit) utilized reverse engineering to figure out the advanced science behind the UFO that crashed at Roswell, NM in 1947.

Corso is also believed to be connected to certain elements within the intelligence community that is promoting bogus documents and stories about the CIA and the Kennedy assassination promoted by Gregory Douglas as the "Zipper Documents."

That Corso is the source of Sen. Keating's Oct. 1962 public allegations that there were Soviet missiles in Cuba, and that an Army Intelligence officer affilialted with NPIC is Corso's source, is extremely significant information in trying to piece the Dealey Plaza puzzle together.

It's also interesting that Dino Brugioni should have known this fact when he wrote "Eyeball to Eyeball," yet failed to reveal it, and it is also interesting that Corso, in trying to persuade people to belive that the miliary developed alien technology from the 1947 Roswell crash, fails to mention that the UFO phenonomena was used by the military as cover for their experimental aircraft including drones and U2. It's also fair to say that he knew about and didn't mention that NPIC was founded by former Navy photo interpreter Art Lundahl, who had a fascination with UFOs and was hired by the CIA out of the Navy photo shop to start NPIC after his analysis of films and photos of UFOs. Why wouldn't Corso use these facts to support his hypothesis of the use of alien technoloy, which I think is still being used to cover for real experimental aircraft today.

When President Kennedy fired Gen. Charles Cabel for leaking secrets during the Bay of Pigs, Cabel complained it wasn't him who did the leaking, and Brugioni later revealed that it really wasn't him, but actually a Navy admiral on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Then we have Brugioni saying Sen. Keating was red-baiting President Kennedy over Soviet missiles in Cuba, but wouldn't reveal his source, but now we discover that the source was Army Col. Corso and the leak was an Army Intelligence officer, probably one of the three members of a NPIC photo exploitation team that included three officers, one each from the Army, Navy and Air Force. It's Col. Corso however, who is the secret manipulator and disinformation agent both before the Cuban Missile Crisis and after the assassination of President Kennedy.

From "The Day After Roswell" by Col. Philip J. Corso (Pocket Books, 1997, with William J. Birnes) – A Former Pentagon Official Reveals the U.S. Government's Shocking USO Cover-up.

As Chief of the Army's Foreign Technology Division in 1961, Philip J. Corso stewarded the Roswell, New Mexico, alien artifacts in a reverse-engineering project that led to today's : Integrated circuit chips, Fiber optics, Laser, Super-tenacity fibers and "seeded" the Roswell alien technology to giants of American industry.

Dedication: In memory of Lt.Gen. Arthur G. Trudeau,…chief of U.S. Army Reserch and Development…at Pork Chop Hill in Korea,…deeply religious and went on "retreats" at Loyola….His accomplishments changed the world for the better…

Chapter 17 Star Wars (p. 251)

TOWARD THE WPRING OF 1962, GENERAL TRUDEAU TOLD ME OF his intention to retire. He was not going to be the commander of U.S. Forces in Vietnam, he'd been told…A West Point graduate, he was born into a generation of military officers who had absolutely no doubts about what was right and what was wrong, and he marched through two wars and a series of commands, including the head of Army Intelligence, secure in the knowledge that he was on the right side…He had been at the helm of R&D for six years after having commanded Army Intelligence for three years before that. Although the general didn't explicitly comment much on the incredible facts we had uncovered in the Roswell file because he considered it just part of his job, he did joke about it from time to time with his old friend Senator Strom Thurmond. More than once, I would take the back door into his inner office only to find Sen. Thurmond and General Trudeau sitting on his couch and looking me up and down as I walked in.

"Art," Senator Thurmond would draw, barley hiding his Cheshire cat smile, "what spooky things you think old Phil's been into?"…..

…As the summer of 1962 came to an end, ominous reports were circulating all though Washington concerning Soviet freighters making their way into Cuban waters. The traffic was intense, but there was no response from our intelligence people on what was happening. The CIA was completely mum, and the word making its way through the Pentagon was that we were getting slapped around by the Soviets and were going to sit still for it. Whatever it was, friends of mine in Army Intelligence were saying, the CIA was going to downplay it because the Kennedy administration didn't want a confrontation with the Soviet Union.

What was it? I kept asking,...My answer came in a shocking series of photographs, unmistakable surveillance photographs, that were leaked to me by my friends in an office of Army Intelligence so deep inside the Pentagon and so secret that you weren't even allowed to take notes inside the room.I was asked, by officers who may still be alive and therefore shall go unnamed, to take a good look at the photographs they had developed from the spy planes over Cuba. They said, "Memorize these, Colonel, because nobody can make any copies here." I couldn't believe my eyes as I looked down at the glossies and then ran a magnifying glass over them just to make sure that I wasn't seeing things. Nope, there they were, Soviet intermediate range ballistic missiles of the latest vintage. These babies could take out Washington in minutes, and yet there they were, sitting outside of hangers only a few miles from our marine base at Guantinamo Bay.

Had Gen. Curtis Lemay seen these photos, I had to ask myself? LeMay, a veteran of Korean bombing runs, should have been drooling over his desk at the prospect of bombing the hell out of Castro just for thinking he could even park ICBMs so close to US airspace. Yet no reaction from Washington at all. The army had nothing to say, the air force had nothing to say, and my navy friends were simply unresponsive.Somebody was putting the lid on this, and I was getting deeply worried. So I called one of my friends, New York Senator Kenneth Keating, and asked him what he knew.

"What do you mean missiles, Colonel Corso?" he asked. "What missile, where?"

It was October 1962.

"In Cuba, Senator," I said. "They're sitting in Cuba waiting to be deployed on launchers. Don't you know?"

The truth was Senator Keating did not, nor did Representative Mike Feighan, whom I also called. Both legislators knew better than to ask me where I found the photos or who gave them to me, but before they did or said anything, they wanted to know why I believed them to be authentic?

"They come from our best resources," I told them….

…Senator Keating asked whether I knew for sure that President Kennedy had been informed of the presence of the missiles, but I told him there was no way of knowing. Privately, I would have been shocked if intelligence sources had kept this information away from the President because there were so many intelligence pathways to the Oval Office the President would have found out no matter who tried to keep the information away. So it was pretty clear to me that the administration was trying to keep the news from the American people so that neither the Russians nor the Cubans would be embarrassed and have their backs against the wall.

I also knew that by going to Senator Keating and Representative Feighan I was taking a huge risk. I was leaking information outside the military and executive chains of command to the legislative branch. But, that same April, I had already testified to Senator Dirksen's committee on the administration of the Internal Security Act that it was my belief- and I had proof to back it up – that our intelligence services, particularly the Board of Estimates, had been penetrated by the KGB and as a result we lost a war in Korea that we should have won. The testimony was regarded as classified and never released. But it made its way to Attorney General Robert Kennedy, who promised me, in a private interview at the Justice Department, that he would personally make sure his brother, the President, read it. Now…it was clear that unless somebody stopped them, the Russians were going to get away with it. Not on my watch.

President Kennedy had gone up to Hyannis Port, and the vice president, Lyndon Johnson, a friend of Ken Keating's from his days as Senate majority leader, was completely out of the decision –making loop within the White House. The rumors were that because of his association with Bobby Baker, there was going to be an investigation of the vice president and he might (sic not) return as a member of the ticket in 1964. So Senator Keating didn't recommend going to Lyndon Johnson with this information. Besides, we had to get it right in front of the public so it couldn't be swept away, leaving the White House free to ignore it until it was too late to force the Soviet's hand. This was a gamble, of course, because the whole world could explode in our faces, but I knew that the only way to deal with the Russians was put their noses in it and teach them a lesson. Had we done that in Korea the way MacArthur wanted to, there probably wouldn't have been a Vietnam War.

One of my old friends in the Washington press corps was Paul Scott, the syndicated political columnist whose pieces appeared in the Boston Globe and the Washington Post. If we gave him the story, it would find its way into the Globe and the Post at the same time, right in the President's face and forcing him to act. I didn't enjoy this, but there was no other way. So Senator Keating, Mike Feighan, and I coordinated the strategy. I called Scott and told him I had seen some photos and had an interpretation he needed to hear…..

one of a series of articles on the bay of pigs from www.granma.cu

50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE BAY OF PIGS The Dulles Brothers, architects

of the Invasion (III) On October 26, 51 years ago, Fidel announced the creation of the Revolutionary National Militia. Granma International will be publishing a series of articles on the events leading up to the April, 1961 battle of the Bay of Pigs. As we approach the 50th Anniversary of this heroic feat, we will attempt to recreate chronologically the developments which occurred during this period and ultimately led to the invasion. The series will be a kind of comparative history, relating what was taking place more or less simultaneously in revolutionary Cuba, in the United States, in Latin America, within the socialist camp and in other places in some way connected to the history of these first years of the Cuban Revolution.

Gabriel Molina

• THE brothers Allen and John Foster Dulles were the principal architects of the U.S. cold war on Cuba, which has already exceeded half a century.

It was not for pleasure or ideology. According to The Worker newspaper, they had personal economic interests which determined their position toward the Island.

The Francisco and Manatí Sugar sugar companies were controlled by the J. Henry Banking Corporation of New York, headed by Allen Dulles who, as director of the CIA, was responsible for U.S. subversive plans to overthrow governments in Cuba, Indonesia, the Congo, Iran and Guatemala. He acted in concert with his brother, John Foster Dulles, secretary of state during the Dwight Eisenhower administration.

The United Fruit Company, which came to own plantations in Colombia, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Panama, the Dominican Republic and Cuba, owned 109,700 hectares on the island, grabbed by clever lawyers from defenseless campesinos, along with facilities, buildings, machinery, heads of cattle and other assets. The United Fruit Company devised a way of validating its property deeds – whether legitimate or falsified – and expropriated most of the haciendas in Banes, in the former province of Oriente, to join together those lands in one huge estate.

Associates of the powerful Sullivan & Cromwell Company, as well as investors in United Fruit, the Dulles brothers – in conjunction with the Bush family, particularly the grandfather – dispatched assets worth one billion dollars to Adolf Hitler’s Nazi Party, according to Karlheinz Deschner in his book The Moloch Dulles. In addition, in his book Overthrow, Stephen Kinzer reveals that the company profited from doing business with the Nazi regime. Wikipedia also reports that John Dulles publicly supported the Nazis up until 1935 when he closed the Berlin office. In spite of those infamous tendencies, they claimed to be champions of democracy.

Allen maintained a personal relationship with Batista, whom he visited in 1955, in order to establish the basis for a kind of branch of the CIA, the Bureau for the Repression of Communist Activities, the sinister BRAC.

A document from November 24, 1959, declassified by the British government and handed over to Cuba by its American section in March 2001 – on the occasion of the Bay of Pigs 40 Years Later academic conference here – revealed that, at that point, Allen Dulles had his strategy for Cuba’s recapture well developed: he was pressuring Britain to prevent the sale to the revolutionary government of Hunter combat aircraft and a whole arsenal of other weapons, which were under negotiation. His secret objective was to force the Cubans to "solicit weapons from the Soviets or the Soviet Bloc"(1), in order to insert the island into the Cold War and thus give credibility to his thesis of the danger represented by the Cuban Revolution to the security of the entire Western Hemisphere. He tried to repeat that success with a similar tactic in 1954, which served as a pretext for the operation which overthrew President Jacobo Arbenz of Guatemala. Allen Dulles presented Cuba as a USSR platform in the Americas.

Just one month after Batista’s flight, the Eisenhower administration refused a modest credit line to a delegation from the National Bank of Cuba, requested because "the principal capos of the regime defeated by the Revolution had embezzled or had stolen $424 million from the gold and dollar resources backing the Cuban peso"…and were received in the United States together with the authors of the most abominable crimes and abuses against the Cuban people." (2)

The radical Agrarian Reform Act which came into effect three months later, on May 17, immediately fuelled the anger of its neighbor to the North, given that it damaged, above all, United Fruit interests, at least according to the Dulles Brothers: "If we take away Cuba’s quota, the sugar industry would quickly suffer a rapid collapse, causing generalized unemployment. Many people would be left without work and would begin to go hungry… an economic war," Secretary of State Foster Dulles acknowledged. (3)

Just six months after the Agrarian Reform Act was enacted, in a memorandum dated December 11, 1959 from J. C. King, chief of what would shortly become the Western Hemisphere Division of the CIA, called for "a careful analysis of the possibility of eliminating Fidel Castro [which] would greatly accelerate the fall of the government" (4) was approved and, particularly, the assassination proposal, as reflected in the note on the document, signed by Allen Dulles and dated one day later, on December 12.

In the name of freedom and democracy, the Dulles brothers subverted half the world. Their first defeat was in 1961, in Cuba. To a certain point it is natural although unjust, that those brothers, partners of United Fruit and Sullivan & Cromwell, should defend their personal interests. That would be expecting the impossible.

But it is too much of a mockery of human intelligence to believe that the Dulles brothers acted to preserve democracy and freedom. They lacked the honesty demonstrated by B. Rathbone, president of Esso Standard/Exxon, when he stated in Copenhagen in June 1961: "You cannot reproach us who are seeing with extreme displeasure how Soviet oil is being processed in our Cuban refineries." That is arrogance without hypocrisy.

(1) Juan Carlos Rodríguez. Girón, La Batalla Inevitable. Editorial Capitán San Luis, pp. 21.

(2) Demanda del pueblo cubano contra el gobierno de Estados Unidos. Editora Política 2000, pp.6.

(3) Foreign Relations of the United States (FRUS) Volume VI, Cuba. Quoted in Ricardo Alarcón. Medio Siglo de revolución, Prólogo pp. 541.

(4) FRUS. Volume IX. Quoted in the Spanish edition of Tim Weiner’s The History of the CIA, Random House Mondadori, Barcelona 2008, pp.158