The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

7 hours ago, George Govus said:

Robert M. name-checked me in a post, used a handle of mine which I haven't used here. Being so new here and all, I was shocked and pondered what to make of it. I can't think of a legit way anyone could have associated that pen name of mine with my real one here.

"He" deleted that particular post very shortly after I first saw it. The poster's black and white photo avatar of a ruggedly handsome and vaguely recognizable face was replaced with a generic symbol. 

I think we just saw a missile with "Hi, there!" written on the side.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to believe it's only been a month.  Midnight March 25th we went into shelter in place orders here.  Seems more like six weeks, two months, or more.  Trouble is I'm not sure it's time to stop doing so.  Many are protesting to open everything up.*   While a couple of thousand a day are sill dying from the virus.  The number of new cases has gone up the last four days 23,983 on 4/21 to 38,093 yesterday.  I'm going to pass on a haircut for a while longer along with the movie theater if it reopens.  It could be worse, I'm not showing any symptoms yet.  It hasn't been 30 days in a jail cell with other infected inmates.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=30+days+in+the+hole&view=detail&mid=2C5D6BC0E6A6DFE5A6572C5D6BC0E6A6DFE5A657&FORM=VIRE0&ru=%2fsearch%3fq%3d30%2bdays%2bin%2bthe%2bhole%26form%3dPRUSEN%26mkt%3den-us%26httpsmsn%3d1%26msnews%3d1%26rec_search%3d1%26refig%3d77a61e60a42e40ca81c254689fb5dd26%26sp%3d1%26qs%3dLS%26pq%3d30%2bdays%2bin%26sk%3dPRES1%26sc%3d8-10%26cvid%3d77a61e60a42e40ca81c254689fb5dd26

My laptop speakers are not that great or loud and I've not heard this in a while.  Since I've made it to Saturday night one more time I'm going to get a beer, pull the album and crank it up!

*  I don't think it's just me, read today 70% don't think we're ready to really open back up yet.

On 4/25/2020 at 12:53 AM, George Govus said:

Robert M. name-checked me in a post, used a handle of mine which I haven't used here. Being so new here and all, I was shocked and pondered what to make of it. I can't think of a legit way anyone could have associated that pen name of mine with my real one here.

"He" deleted that particular post very shortly after I first saw it. The poster's black and white photo avatar of a ruggedly handsome and vaguely recognizable face was replaced with a generic symbol. 

George - have you considered posting a bio here? 

Paul, there's this in Introductions. That cat was giving me a shout-out, more than a name-check. If anything.

Hi, everybody! 

I just turned sixty-one. I was born in Atlanta, Georgia. My parents moved there from the Northeast. My father worked as a distribution manager for a textile manufacturer. Said manufacturer moved to the South to avoid paying union wages (i guess). And then, of course, by the seventies, textile manufacturers, like so many others, moved operations offshore so they could pay people even less. Ah, capitalism. But, I digress. My father was going to be an artist before World War II. Kept at it while raising his family and holding down his manager job. Kept getting fired because he stood up for his workers. We relocated to the Low Country in South Carolina. After his manufacturing career, Dad provided for us by selling watercolors and pen-and-ink drawings. My mother was a secretary at another textile manufacturer until it shuttered. She applied so I earned a corporate-sponsored four-year academic scholarship. I earned my bachelor’s degree at UNC-Chapel Hill studying studio art and American literature. Making a living from art seemed too risky to me, although my professor, Marvin Saltzman, urged me to stick with it. I took a staff job at the university. I retired from that job in 2013 and currently live on my state pension. I am sidling up to making a side-line in art, principally cartooning. I’ve been married, amiably divorced, and live now with my partner of twenty-eight years in our home in North Carolina. We raise dogs. We have three large ones.

One of my earlier memories is of standing in our living room watching a black-and-white TV display John F. Kennedy’s funeral procession. Over the years I read a thing or two about his life, and mysteries to do with his death. I’ve always been able to accommodate ambiguity. But, strange goings-on during the 2016 presidential election campaign brought me back around to JFK.

Earlier this year I was thrilled to find this forum attended by so many great researchers. I’ve been lurking — a lot — so, I’m hoping I'm not to blame for the recent "user spike" trouble! I'll donate to help out as I can.

Edited by George Govus
wrong link

I don't know who to believe, either way it's not real encouraging.  The bell curve stats from Johns Hopkins shows we've gone over a million cases 1,016,139, and 58,374 deaths.  More deaths in two months than in 10 years of the Vietnam war.

https://coronavirusbellcurve.com/

But this company called STATISTA shows "only" 957,875 cases and 53,922 deaths.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1101932/coronavirus-covid19-cases-and-deaths-number-us-americans/

The real troubling part is the curve stats show the number of new cases per day declining steadily over the last 5 days (until today) 38,000, 35,000, 26,000, 22,000, 24,000.  Statista shows them going up the 23-26th with a new high since this all began, on Sunday of 38,509 though it fell to 32,417 yesterday.  I.E. they show the number of new cases per day still going up overall.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1102816/coronavirus-covid19-cases-number-us-americans-by-day/

Yet here in Texas we open restaurants and movie theaters at 25% capacity Friday.  With 70% of those surveyed saying shelter in place should stay in place.

Kirk,

Didn't you recently return to the U.S. from a trip to Ecuador?

Deaths and desperation mount in Ecuador, epicenter of coronavirus pandemic in Latin America

https://theconversation.com/deaths-and-desperation-mount-in-ecuador-epicenter-of-coronavirus-pandemic-in-latin-america-137015

Edited by W. Niederhut

Yes William, if I had left a week later, I would have had problems getting out. But since then,  one weekly flight out has been  arranged from the American embassy. Usually to Miami, sometimes Houston, and it's expensive,  about $1000!, but I heard of one cheap flight one time as well. But their lock down is more extreme than here, and people comply because the government has a previous history and even more recently there has been a political clamp down on the population.

There was a youtube video supposedly from a Guayaquil barrio where a covered body is dragged out in the street and lit on fire, because there aren't the government services to pick up the body, but it's been called a hoax by the city government.

Still there are at this time, only 5 deaths per 100k population in Ecuador. Next door in Colombia there's only .5 deaths per 100k. In the U.S. that figure is 310 per 100k!

There was said to be a big carrier, a woman from Spain who they  showed her rough itinerary and it's possible we could have been in a coastal town, Salinas, at the same time. I attended a Mardi Gras celebration in the second most populous town, Cuenca.  Might have dodged a bullet there!

Ecuador Mardi Gras Woman.JPG

I've been having trouble finding state day by day stat's searching for them.  They're certainly not news in the MSM.  Are they being suppressed on purpose?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/state-asked-floridas-medical-examiners-to-stop-releasing-coronavirus-death-data/ar-BB13oqka?li=BBnbfcL

No MSM conspiracy Ron, the New York Times, state , even your county if you want it.

If you like to check this stuff occasionally, just put it in your favorites or bookmark and you can get up to date.That's what I do.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

On 4/28/2020 at 6:55 PM, Ron Bulman said:

I don't know who to believe, either way it's not real encouraging.  The bell curve stats from Johns Hopkins shows we've gone over a million cases 1,016,139, and 58,374 deaths. 

More deaths in two months than in 10 years of the Vietnam war.

It is this time frame comparison for the 60,000 deaths ( 2 months versus 10 years) that is so shocking in the greater power society effecting reality of this monster virus versus the Vietnam war.

If new cases and death counts spike upward dramatically and quickly in the restriction lifted states and cities and this can be proven as a direct result of such, what does our society do in response?  Morally, ethically, legally and logically?

Should we demand a stop to this plan and hold these leaders (from Trump down to those that have been motivated by his aggressive touting of this lifting ) responsible for these new spikes which will endanger many more who might catch the virus from new victims in these states and who didn't want this plan to be implemented in the first place?

I read where 18 or more new cases of the virus came about just in the Wisconsin election process last week due to the close physical contact of those voting in person.

Well, guess we'll see in the month of May what Trump's pushed agenda of having business's open back up will do to the infection and death rate.

Like many others however, I see Trump's sole motivation in pushing this business as usual breakout as having everything to do with his desire to improve his election chances via the economy and nothing to do with a true and sincere concern for American's lock down stresses.

Typical Trump self interest over everyone else morality mind set.  

Edited by Joe Bauer

21 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

No MSM conspiracy Ron, the New York Times, state , even your county if you want it.

If you like to check this stuff occasionally, just put it in your favorites or bookmark and you can get up to date.That's what I do.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

Thank you for the link though I take the NYT with a grain of salt.  I'll add it to a couple of others I look at every 2-3 days.  Looking every day in depth gets overwhelming to me.

No MSM conspiracy is right.  That's determined by their owners, that 5%, 2%, 1%, .1%.  The MSM chose not to bring this case to prominence.  Why.  It wasn't news that would have at least reached National Enquirer?  Not newsworthy enough, just a small case in Florida.

Edited by Ron Bulman