The Education Forum

In Denial now available

As requested I want to let those interested know that, as per schedule, In Denial / Secret Wars with Air Strikes and Tanks is now available on Amazon in both kindle and print.  I won't be saying anything more here, other than commenting that there are a number of connections to JFK including an in depth discussion of the Cuba Project and the Bay of Pigs - which deconstructs and refutes much of the popular history on those events - as well as an extended discussion of Kennedy's reaction and course forward in regard to the lessons learned and covert action. 

https://www.amazon.com/Denial-Secret-Wars-Strikes-Tanks/dp/1734139331/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I will open a separate discussion in the Education Forum area on book discussions where I can respond to questions and hopefully discuss the book with readers - and I will be blogging and joining in various podcasts discussing it.

-- after three years and with thanks to the efforts of numerous people who helped and my publisher, its finally here in some 475 pages...whew...  Larry

On 4/17/2020 at 5:57 AM, Larry Hancock said:

As

I will open a separate discussion in the Education Forum area on book discussions where I can respond to questions and hopefully discuss the book with readers - and I will be blogging and joining in various podcasts discussing it.

Larry, you need to open a thread right here in the JFK section. The other sections are Siberia.

Thanks for the kind words Matt! 

In response to Cliff's post, perhaps what I could do on this section of the forum is just respond to questions about what is in the book, in particular as it relates to JFK.  Obviously its not all about his era given that I explore the conduct of secret warfare though the 20th century into the 21st.

Interestingly,  one of my book reviewers was struck by the fact that In Denial is more heavily cited than any of my previous works (with a broader diversity of sources).  The reason for that is especially in the chapters on the Cuba Project and the Bay of Pigs I am challenging much of the popular history  as it relates to both events under both Eisenhower and JFK - and if you go to war with popular history you better be prepared for serious push back.  Hence the extensive citations not just from one official record but from several (important since there was outright lying going on following on right before and right after the disaster at the BOP) as well as several of the individuals directly involved in the military operations aspect of the project. 

The same goes for the other areas which relate to JFK, specifically his response to what he learned from those first four months and how he put it into practice during his next two years - specifically in how he took control of covert action, from Tibet to the Congo. Of course he didn't abandon it, we all know that from his ongoing pursuit of action against Cuba - but he learned some serious lessons and attempted to put them into play with both covert action by the CIA and the military.  The sad part is that all he learned and what he was trying to do - even the lessons officially documented in the official inquiries into the Cuba Project - were effectively abandoned first by Johnson and even more dramatically by Nixon and Kissinger.

So - what I can do here is elaborate and answer questions about what is in the book.  In the book section of the forum I can discuss the book with those who are reading it and have details in hand -  including the details and reference to my citations.  But it takes the level of detail that is in the book and its citations to make any discussion meaningful.

Hopefully that approach will work.   In any event, with a little luck, within a few days David and I will give everyone here something which can be discussed in great detail, that relates to some of the names from In Denial (and yes that was a teaser...grin).

2 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

I'm happy to do that but I don't want it to look like I'm just advertising - if nobody protests I will do that tomorrow.  I did notice there was not much viewing of the thread in the book section...

DiEugenio suggested you were advertising.

I'll give the man the benefit of the doubt -- he was kidding, perhaps.

No, this book - In Denial - is about Cold War and contemporary deniable warfare - with a particular focus on the Cuba Project and the Bay of Pigs.  Some of the names in the book will show up again in the JFK case monograph, but this book is something quite different.   The JFK assassination monograph is about 150 pages at this point (compared to the 480 some for In Denial) and will be made available via the Mary Ferrell web site.  That draft of the monograph is complete, it is in peer review, but it will require some rewrite and considerable editing before it gets released.  Hard to say exactly when that will be but I certainly hope it will be only a matter of months.

In the meantime, some extensive and related research will be released on the Mary Ferrell site tomorrow - I'll be posting a thread on that as soon as it gets loaded and released.

45 minutes ago, Larry Hancock said:

The JFK assassination monograph is about 150 pages at this point (compared to the 480 some for In Denial) and will be made available via the Mary Ferrell web site.

Larry, do you get into the medical evidence in your monograph?