The Education Forum

New JFK feature film announced

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2012/04/new_feature_film_planned_as_an.html

In marketing Oliver Stone's 1991 New Orleans-shot, Kennedy-assassination conspiracy theory "JFK," Warner Bros. referred to it as "the story that won't go away." Now, some 21 years later, another film company is doing its part to make sure that claim remains true.

The Los Angeles-based Atchity Entertainment, in partnership with the Florida-based Ramos & Sparks Group, announced plans today (April 16) for a feature film based on one insider's account of the Kennedy assassination. The production is described it as an "answer to Oliver Stone's fanciful 'JFK.'"

The new film will be based on the New York Times bestseller "The Kennedy Detail," written by former Secret Service agent Gerald Blaine - a former member of Kennedy's security detail -- with journalist Lisa McCubbin.

The book has already spawned a Discovery Channel documentary, also called "The Kennedy Detail," which was narrated by Martin Sheen and nominated last year for a News and Documentary Emmy in the long-form historical programming category.

For its part, Stone's 1991's "JFK" was based on a book by New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison who -- unsatisfied with the official line -- launched his own investigation into the assassination. Shooting for two months in town in summer 1991, "JFK" stands as one of highest-profile films to shoot in New Orleans prior to the state's 2002 adoption of filmmaking tax incentives.

Upon its release in December 1991, the film earned more than $200 million in worldwide box office, as well as eight Oscar nominations, including for best picture. (It won two, for film editing and cinematography).

It also, however, generated no small amount of controversy, as Stone was widely criticized for playing fast and loose with the facts.

The new film, producer Rich Ramos says, will be different.

"As a life-long student of the Kennedy administration and the events of November 22, 1963, I could see immediately that this book provided a clear picture and keen insight into the everyday workings of the administration as well as that horrible day in Dallas," producer Rich Ramos said today in a news release.

"The true story contained in 'The Kennedy Detail' needs to be brought to theaters around the world so that history can be presented accurately, once and for all."

Producers are targeting a 2013 release date - exactly 50 years after the assassination -- although it's unclear when production will begin or where it will take place. No cast has been announced.

With all due respect, the movie JFK 'won't go away' because, even though it is a movie, and even though it is flawed, as was the Garrison investigation, it has a ring of truth to it.

This storyline seems to assume that the public will be unable to see through a 'fox-watching-the-henhouse' scenario. If so, it will inevitably fall prey to the same hubris as all the other reduxs of the WCR, whether in print or on screen.

With all due respect, the movie JFK 'won't go away' because, even though it is a movie, and even though it is flawed, as was the Garrison investigation, it has a ring of truth to it.

This storyline seems to assume that the public will be unable to see through a 'fox-watching-the-henhouse' scenario. If so, it will inevitably fall prey to the same hubris as all the other reduxs of the WCR, whether in print or on screen.

I think it has a LOT of truth to it and disclosures via ARRB have only added to just how right Garrison was.

Dawn

Guest Robert Morrow

Oliver Stone's problem was when he started calling his film a "counter-myth" and not just the flat out truth of a military-intelligence coup d'etat. Stone's backing off, compromising and hedging was a HUGE mistake. Now Stone says Allen Dulles engineered the JFK assassination. I also think Stone and the movie "JFK" was a little weak on the critical role of Lyndon Johnson in the JFK assassination.

"The Waters of Knowledge versus The Waters of Uncertainty"

Mass Denial in the Assassination of President Kennedy

by E. Martin Schotz

http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_issues/27th_Issue/schotz.html

"The struggle for truth in the assassination of President Kennedy confronts us with the problem of the "waters of knowledge" versus "the waters of uncertainty." Let me give you an example involving two important individuals who attempted to bring the truth before the American people. I am speaking of New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison and filmmaker Oliver Stone.

Both Garrison and Stone knew that the President was the victim of a conspiracy by high level US military intelligence officials. Each in his own way tried to bring such knowledge to the attention of the American people. In the case of Oliver Stone, even before his film JFK had received its final cut there developed an unprecedented campaign of slander against Stone, that he was a madman, that he was a drunk. In the face of this attack Stone was advised to compromise and did so. He backed off from telling the American people that his film was the truth, and instead claimed that his film, JFK, was "my myth". In other words Stone said "I have my myth and you are entitled to yours. I'm not saying I know what happened here. There is uncertainty." The instant Stone did that, the campaign of slander ended. He was again acceptable. He was invited to address Congress and was permitted to ask the government to release more information so as to help us clear up the supposed mystery.

Jim Garrison's story is different. In the face of his effort to reveal the true nature of the assassination there was a campaign to discredit him. It was claimed that he was a drug addict, that he had ties to the Mafia, that he was grandstanding and self seeking. But Garrison never backed down. And because of that, even today a noted biographer cannot get a major publisher to enter into a contract to do an honest biography of the man. He is still an outcast, a madman as far as the society is concerned. Stone agreed to drink the waters of uncertainty and society recognized him as having miraculously recovered his sanity. Garrison refused, insisting on continuing to drink the waters of knowledge, and for this he suffered accordingly."

This is ridiculous.

THe producers should talk to Pat Kirkwood about these Secret Service jerks.

The producers should then talk to Abe Bolden next. That is who they should make a movie about since he is a real hero.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=5cKNpo2-Rco Vince Palamara: taking on "The Kennedy Detail" & more Clint Hill JFK - YouTube http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NlUa3R8z-fY THE WHITE HOUSE- Vince Palamara & The Kennedy Detail - YouTube dry.gif

and there is a lot more information in regard to the book if

interested..on Vince's site......Bolden's book should have been it, as Jim mentions but as we know hollywood way

apparently is as afraid of the truth as is the Discovery Channel..... dry.gif b..

http://www.ctka.net/reviews/kennedydetailreview.html The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Edited by Bernice Moore

Maybe a well thought out, rational. coordinated action in DP dealing with this plus leafleting etc at interviews etc can USE this release to create the necessary doubt that may draw people in to the investigation. Use it as a springboard.

The press release quoted at the head of this thread sounds like loads of optimistic-boastful releases I’ve read, for films that were never realized. Many “announced productions” touted in press releases never make it to film. In my experience, this is particularly true with films geared to have an anniversary release as a selling tool – when hope of financing and production in time for the anniversary passes, interest in the project drops off entirely.

That is, if there was genuine interest in time for anniversary production in the first place. What became of projects like the Tom Hanks-Bugliosi miniseries, or the DiCaprio-Waldron adaptation? I suspect that Hollywood interest in the Kennedys is lip service only. As the US failure of the release of the miniseries The Kennedys shows, the heat is on from all sides. Even the slanders are too hot to touch.

JFK, for all its achievements and cultural endurance – which are quite considerable – killed off as much long-term interest in Kennedy-related films as it engendered in the short term. (Danny Aiello as Ruby, anyone?) I suspect that any assassination-related film is too hot a potato, especially in the days of recession and Occupy, and the best one could hope for is another non-assassination valedictory of Kennedy like Costner’s Thirteen Days. And we should hope for another good non-assassination film like that.

There are a couple of assassination-related dramas that I would love to adapt from investigative works that we here all know. I’m sure that screenwriters actively working on films have their own wish lists. I’m also quite convinced that the anniversary will not see competing Kennedy feature film projects, CT-based or non-CT. Beyond a few minutes on the network news, this anniversary will be ignored.

Edited by David Andrews

I’m also quite convinced that the anniversary will not see competing Kennedy feature film projects, CT-based or non-CT. Beyond a few minutes on the network news, this anniversary will be ignored.

Agree, for cable and over-the-air broadcasts. Internet streaming, however, is a horse of a different color...

I just can't see how this can be an "answer" to JFK. What, all the SS agents suddenly believe in the SBT?

Of course not.

SO...are they gonna gloss over the shooting itself, and PRETEND the SS agents in the film believed the Warren Commission's conclusions?

This is ridiculous.

THe producers should talk to Pat Kirkwood about these Secret Service jerks.

The producers should then talk to Abe Bolden next. That is who they should make a movie about since he is a real hero.

Bolden is a true pioneer, patriot and indeed a hero actually worthy of a large scale documentary about his life. His story rings true, and I highly reccomend his book, The Echo From Dealy Plaza to anyone who wants a most unusual and truthful perspective from his point of view within the Secret Service protecting the President.

Abraham Bolden was hand selected by Kennedy himself for the Presidential detail. He criticised the Secret Service drinking before the assassination, and paid a huge price after he spoke up again shortly after the assassination.

Had he been on the car, it's just possible JFK would have survived.

Mark Lane made the comment that Abe Bolden showed as much integrity as any witness he has ever interviewed in his very long career. I've traded a few emails with Mr. Bolden, and he is a real old school gentleman of the nicest sort.

Yet, here our media will go, supporting what amounts to a treasonous rewriting of the truth about what happened to a President who tried to work towards change of the best possible sort- away from spending on pointless and unneccessary war for the sake of dollars for the rich- in favor of a lasting Peace for the world, where dollars would be spent in more humane pursuits.

Bob Marley said it best- How long shall they kill our prophets, while we stand aside and look?

Re-Abraham Bolden.

In his book, Bolden writes about agents drinking while on duty, bringing unknown women into hotel rooms while traveling with the president, blatant disregard for agency protocol and how there was a colossal protection failure of the Secret Service on that fateful November afternoon in Dallas.

Bolden himself suffered from what happened in Dallas. In the wake of the Kennedy assassination, Bolden contacted the Warren Commission, hoping to testify about an alleged assassination plot in Chicago two weeks before Kennedy was assassinated in Dallas. He traveled to Washington but before he could testify, Bolden was returned to Chicago where he was arrested on May 20, 1964, on federal charges that he had solicited a bribe from a counterfeiting ring that ironically he had helped break.

On numerous occasions he told his superiors in the Secret Service about the behavior of fellow agents in the weeks before Kennedy’s death and says nothing was done. Bolden said he was framed by rogue agents and spent over three years in a federal prison after his conviction during a second trial by an all-white jury. The first trial ended in a hung jury after the lone African-American juror, Anna B. Hightower, refused to vote guilty, he writes in “The Echoes from Dealey Plaza.”

To this day Bolden is still trying to clear his conviction and there is a growing movement to have it expunged from his record or have him pardoned by President Obama. But Bolden said any attempts to have his record erased that will force him to admit to any form of guilt is something he is not interested in.

Source:

http://www.newsinbla...19bb30f31a.html

You are mindful that the Garrison Investigation was sabotaged by the CIA/PTB?

I wish critics of the film 'JFK' would remember that its not a documentary as such of the JFK assassination but a documentary about the Garrison trial and what Garrison believed made with artistic licence to be able to fit everything in. The film is accurate as in it portrays what Jim Garrison believed at the time of the trial, right or wrong. So really I don't see the need to be debunking it all the time.

Also, due to Oliver Stone and the film 'JFK' thousands of documents were released after the creation of the ARRB, so I feel both LN and CT alike should be grateful for that.