The Education Forum

The Latest on Tom Hanks' production of "Parkland"

Deadline, New York (an east coast version of Variety) reports that Hanks' production is involved in finalizing a distribution deal with OPEN ROAD. The script is written; shooting will start soon (in Austin, Texas, I'm told). See details below.

And here's the Internet link, if you want to keep up with the latest "Comments" on this story:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/open-road-in-talks-to-release-jfk-pic-parkland-eyeing-fall-release-on-50th-anniversary-of-assassination/

DSL

1/25/13, 5:30 PM PST

Los Angeles, California

Open Road In Talks To Release JFK Pic ‘Parkland’, Eyeing Fall Release On 50th Anniversary Of Assassination

By MIKE FLEMING JR Friday January 25, 2013 @ 11:49am PST

mike-fleming-jr_gotham_TEMP__130121202219.jpg

book_reclaiming__130125193609.jpgEXCLUSIVE: Open Road is in final talks for domestic distribution on Parkland, a film that recounts the events that occurred at Parkland Hospital in Dallas on November 22, 1963. They are eyeing a release late this fall, around the 50th anniversary of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. The film’s written and directed by Peter Landesman, the ex-foreign correspondent and scripter of films including the upcoming The Mission who makes his helming debut on the picture. It is based on Reclaiming History: The Assassination Of President John F. Kennedy, the mammoth 1,632-page book by Helter Skelter author Vincent Bugliosi that meticulously debunked the conspiracy theories that later found their way into films like Oliver Stone’s JFK.

goe__130125194542.jpgThe book was originally set at HBO for a miniseries by Playtone partners Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman in 2007 along with Bill Paxton, who at the time was starring in Playtone’s HBO series Big Love. Instead of taking on the assassination and the conspiracy theories in a mini, they and Landesman boiled this down to a smaller story that covers what happened at the hospital when the world was turned upside down by the business end of Lee Harvey Oswald’s sniper rifle. It was re-calibrated as an indie film that’s being co-financed by Exclusive Media and The American Film Company, the latter of which was hatched by entrepreneur Joe Ricketts to focus on telling American history tales. Pic stars Paul Giamatti, Billy Bob Thornton, Jacki Weaver, Marcia Gay Harden, Zac Efron, Jeremy Strong, James Badge Dale, Jackie Earle Haley, Colin Hanks, David Harbour, and Ron Livingston.

jfka__130125195415.jpgI have been chasing this distribution deal for a story on the movie and was begged by Exclusive Media through their PR person Maxine (“Unfortunately, this has to go wide”) Leonard to hold this, all week. Nice to find out after the fact they put out wide an announcement on every facet of the film except Open Road. So rather than risk my scoop seeming like an afterthought, or waiting for another passive aggressive maneuver, I decided to report what I know. And I want nothing more to do with Exclusive Media or their PR person, and invite them not to darken Deadline’s doorstep because it’s a waste of our time. I’m a pretty nice guy, and this is the first time I recall feeling this way in over 25 years of doing this for Variety and now Deadline Hollywood. So, Maxine, you’ve made history. Bask in it.

Jim you know what irks me? That I can no longer post your shows on bugs book around the internet. If I could post them, I would get BOR another 3,567,332 Views before July 2nd. I understand that BOR has to eat, but do you think something could be worked out? I would CERTAINLY be willing to make a contribution in addition to getting you and BOR tons and tons more views. This summer I am verite pro bono and also I might not even make as many typos because no school and my family is running away.

And thought it might seem TO US like a face-saving gesture, if this weak lineup is THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED ON THE FIELD, it could still murder us.

We need to reach numbers, and newbies, and we need to let the policies dangle.

Edited by Nathaniel Heidenheimer

And thought it might seem TO US like a face-saving gesture, if this weak lineup is THE ONLY ONE ALLOWED ON THE FIELD, it could still murder us.

Murder us?

Buck up, lad. They've been at it for going on fifty years and the vast majority of Americans haven't bought the LNT, don't buy it now, and will never buy it.

The facts of the case speak far louder than any propaganda spewing from the bowels of the MSM.

Why can't you post them?

You mean you can't access them to upload?

------

Because Len took the older shows down from before 2012. I used to post the best shows all over the internet. So many of the best ones are in the 400s and those are no longer postable because there is no longer access to the archives. Those ten Bug reviews you did are priceless and they could really get around this summer and suck all the oxygen out of the fake Hanks-fire.

Generally i think wide posting could also do the same i.e. keep the kindling wet for the Thommm Harthmann movie too. but The ten shows on the but book are in a class by themselves because, in a weird way, they are sort of accissible for the newbie because at least they reveal the vastness of the intricacies. They should be made postable again. It would help the show.

• 6 months later...
Parkland - The Movie trailer

A trailer is not the "a movie" and I hate being sucked in by a trailer only to find out the flick is trash, pardon the innuendo.

Impressions - The director doesn't seem to have a need to portray events as they really occurred - example: Zappy is all alone on the pedestal. There is some suggestion that there is possibly some conspiracy/conflict involving Billy Bob Thornton who portrays Forrest Sorrels. I'm sure it'll have some entertainment value - if it's all lone nutter all the time, I'll be disappointed.

Where's Kevin Costner when you need him? JFK and Thirteen Days are calling out for a completed trilogy, one that goes even further toward the truth, with or without Oliver Stone.

Has anybody with any connections thought of running a third JFK picture past Kevin Costner? I have some ideas if anybody would back me and put me in a position to pitch them.

"The bay of pigs", showing the IC-Establishment trying to fool the freshman president, would be a big 3th movie. Costner as Charles Cabell...

BTW: 13 days failed to show the Russian side...

KK

Edited by Karl Kinaski

It looks like their one concession to the conspiracy-minded is to show the FBI's deliberate destruction of the Hosty note, which has, in fact, been under-reported in recent years.

But it looks like this has been done to heighten the "human drama" of the situation.

The thinking seems to be: "Those POOR FBI agents, under so much pressure, didn't know what to do, and destroyed a crucial piece of evidence, which then helped fuel this incredibly misguided conspiracy industry. What a tragedy!"

There will be no mention, of course, that Shanklin--the head of the FBI in Dallas--continued to lie about the note till the end.

There will be no mention, of course, that this "incredibly misguided" conspiracy industry, while representing the majority of Americans, has received perhaps--what--10% of the funding? of Oswald did it investigations and presentations in recent years.

I mean, what is the budget on Parkland? Pretty substantial, by the looks of it. Probably bigger than JFK. Now add onto that the budgets of all these Discovery and Nat Geo specials of recent years. And Oswald's Ghost, etc.

It's revolting to think Bugliosi, Bill O'Reilly and a number of actors and directors are gonna make more off their JFK-related products than all the actual researchers to ever work on this case. But that's the reality.

One commentator had it right when he said "the moment the camera panned to the 6th floor, I knew something was up with this film" lol...amazing how they attempt to 'suck' you in with the drama, music, etc....behind the curtain is the same old sad conspiracy theory that Oswald did it...what a headache.

It's revolting to think Bugliosi, Bill O'Reilly and a number of actors and directors are gonna make more off their JFK-related products than all the actual researchers to ever work on this case. But that's the reality.

What's truly "revolting" is to think how much profit Oliver Stone has made on his JFK fantasy flick.

In my view, people like Bugliosi, Hanks, Posner, Davison, Myers, McAdams, Moore, and O'Reilly deserve all the reward they can rake in from their JFK-related work. After all, they've told the FACTS about the way John Kennedy died. Oliver Stone sure as hell didn't.

DVP Vs. DiEugenio (Re: "Parkland")

Edited by David Von Pein

I'm certainly glad that O'Reilly in his fact-filled book straightened us out on the death of DeMohrhenschildt. We now know that it was a suicide, for surely O'Reilly would have spotted any fleeing assassin from his vantage point on the front door step. For this alone he certainly deserves all the bucks he is raking in for telling it like it is.

Edited by Ron Ecker

I'm certainly glad that O'Reilly in his fact-filled book straightened us out on the death of DeMohrhenschildt. We now know that it was a suicide, for surely O'Reilly would have spotted any fleeing assassin from his vantage point on the front door step. For this alone he certainly deserves all the bucks he is raking in for telling it like it is.

And isn't it nice that Oliver Stone, in his film, decided to totally ignore the fact that Lee Oswald lied to Buell Frazier about his curtain rods and completely ignored the fact that Oswald carried a bulky package into the Depository on the morning of the assassination? Wasn't it great that Stone decided that those facts just weren't the least bit important to tell the millions of movie-goers that would be jamming theaters to see his wonderful film?

Edited by David Von Pein

Oliver Stone wasn't making a documentary. But Bill O'Reilly was writing what he himself has called a "history" book. Recognize the difference?

Edited by Ron Ecker

[Oliver Stone] took dramatic license as moviemakers do and as moviegoers recognize.

Do you think any CTer will take any "dramatic license" into account when watching Tom Hanks' film? Not a chance. DiEugenio has already blasted Hanks' use of dramatic license...and that's just from a snippet in the 2-minute trailer.

And you think Stone's ignoring a very important FACT (Oswald taking a package into work on 11/22) should be labelled "dramatic license"? Hilarious!

A much more accurate label there would be a "license to ignore the facts". Stone had a patent on that license.

Edited by David Von Pein