The Education Forum

The Stamp on the Military ID card

On the cover of John Armstrong's book, Harvey and Lee, there is a picture of a military ID card.  That pic was supposedly taken from Oswald's wallet on the day he was arrested.

Over the picture is what appears to be a post office stamp dated October 23, 1963.  Where the heck did that stamp come from?  And why?

Oswald had supposedly already gone to Mexico at that time.  So why would there be a stamp with that date on it?

A listener at BOR thinks Oswald might lost it at the post office and it was returned to him with that date on it.  Sounds far out to me, but does anyone have a better explanation?

Maybe someone can grab a screen cap of it and put it here. 

Edited by James DiEugenio

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/15e1109e695647bd?projector=1

here are two photos, one of the card in question one that Nagell had.

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

A listener at BOR thinks Oswald might lost it at the post office and it was returned to him with that date on it

Hey Jim, anyone that finds a military or government ID can toss it in a mailbox and it gets returned to the DoD not the person who is on the ID. I suppose it would get a stamp. I don't know how Oswald would have an ID with that stamp on it. It seems to me that he'd have to get a new ID from the issuing authority after having his old one sent in. He would not get his old one back. That is strange as hell.

If you look on the back there is a box with instructions to the postmaster.

Then how did it acquire that stamp Chris?

Where did it come from?

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Then how did it acquire that stamp Chris?

Where did it come from?

Jim,

I don't know the process. I've held many Military ID's, Active, Reserve, Inactive Reserve and Nat'l Guard but I've never lost one or even seen one that got lost and returned.

Pure speculation that if it was dropped in a postal mailbox that someone hand stamped the ID itself. I don't know why they would do that. I'd think they'd put it in an envelope first.

According to Mary:

Oct. 23rd.

https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=40391#relPageId=221&tab=page

Mrs. Paine cannot explain "Oct. 23" written in March 1963 Calendar page

Coincidence?

11 hours ago, Chris Newton said:

That is strange as hell.

There are a whole lot of things about "Lee Harvey Oswald" that are strange as hell.

The card was supposedly issued on September 11, but John A. says it was used in Superior Court in Santa Ana A WEEK EARLER for Oswald's passport application. 

Edited by Jim Hargrove

I’ll confine my speculation to the October 23, 1963 date on Oswald’s ID card.

For anagram purposes I’ll translate the numbers in “October 23, 1963” to letters (number/letter translation key at bottom):

“OCTOBER X TGD”

This anagrams to:

“GOT BORED. CxT”

We have a math problem, “CxT”, and translating the letters to numbers, “2 x 19”, equals: 

“38”

This puzzle answer is a triple entendre. The silliest answer emerges when we translate the “38” to the letters, “ID”, and make this puzzle anagram:

“ID, GOT BORED”

Removing the comma from the above, the answer becomes more meaningful:

“ID GOT BORED”

And his ID did get bored with a big round enigmatic Post Office stamp.

But for the most meaningful answer, we keep the numbers “38” and make this anagram:

“.38 GOT BORED”

And Oswald's .38 S&W had in fact been re-chambered ("Got Bored") to use .38 special ammunition. 

Why would Oswald have written the date “Oct 23” on Ruth’s March 1963 calendar page? Because March is when Oswald received his mail-order re-chambered .38 special - one big piece of his patsy bona fides. 

There is probably much more to Exhibit No. 50 and I’ll do more work on it. 

Opinion: Why were Oswald, Nagell, and Vaganov making puzzles pertaining to the assassination they were trying to prevent? Because if they failed to sabotage the deed, they would have a huge body of solvable puzzles to document their efforts. They wanted to go to trial, and they could have brought the house down. The puzzles were their “Immunization Card”.

Speaking of "Immunization Cards" Lee Oswald's was signed by one “Dr A J Hideel”. This name anagrams to:

“A J.E.H. RIDDLE”

Tom

A=0)(B=1)(C=2)(D=3)(E=4)(F=5)(G=6)(H=7)(I=8)(J=9)(K=10)(L=11)(M=12)(N=13)(O=14)(P=15)(Q=16)(R=17)(S=18)(T=19)(U=20)(V=21)(W=22)(X=23)(Y=24)(Z=25) 

Edited by Tom Hume

14 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Where did it come from?

Re-considering that card... what is it's purpose?

It is not an US Marine Corps ID. It's a DoD ID. Why would Oswald have a DoD ID?

I have my grandfather's WW2 US Army ID (which was a cover for his OWI role) and it resembles my active duty US Army ID in almost every way despite a 40 year difference.

If you are discharged from active duty and you have a reserve obligation (active or inactive) you get a card that resembles your active duty card but has another color for all the text and art, such as red on my two reserve US Army ID's. You don't get a DoD card. When you ETS you don't get a new card at all.

Hi Chris,

In your last post you wrote:

“Re-considering that card... what is it’s purpose?”

My take is that the card, like dozens of other enigmas surrounding Oswald, are puzzles for you and I to ponder and eventually solve. Below your picture it says, “Interests: solving puzzles”. I don’t think you meant the same kind of “puzzles” I’m talking about, but it might be something to consider.

On March 13, 1963, Seaport Traders allegedly received a order coupon from A J Hidell dated January 27, but no year was entered. 

When we translate the numbers “27” in “January 27”, our anagram puzzle becomes, “JANUARY CH”, and this anagrams to:

“AJH, A U-Y. RCN”

In other words, “A J Hidell, a U-Y. Richard Case Nagell”

Those that have been following my posts will recognize “U-Y” as the puzzle term for ICO’s primary stunt to prevent the assassination. Jerry B Belknap would perform a well rehearsed and perfectly timed epileptic fit. This event and the subsequent attending ambulance would force the motorcade to do a “U-Y”, force the motorcade to take an alternative route away from the TSBD and Elm Street.

The ICO puzzles are filled with references to the “olive drab” wearing Jerry Belknap’s fit-stunt, in which he was also supposed to “pee” his pants, and pee them big time. ICO wanted JB’s event to be memorable.  

“ICO” stands for “Igor”, “Case”, “Oswald”, and their “U-Y” stunt failed, Lee Oswald never made it to trial, and we are left with hundreds of ICO’s puzzles.  

Staying on topic, here’s a typical example of Jerry Belknap and the “PP” stunt ICO had him perform during his fit:

Both of the firearms Oswald was told by his handlers to buy, he had sent to his Post Office box in Dallas, “P.O.Box 2915”. Translating the numbers to letters in this address yields:

“POBOXCJP”

And this anagrams to:

“JB PP. OxC. O”

We have another math problem, “O x C”, which translates to “14 x 2”. This equals “28”, which translates to “CI”. Our final anagram, then, becomes:

“JB PP. ICO” 

Getting a P.O.Box that would do for a puzzle one wanted to make would be easy for first-class spook like Nagell. I've had the same P.O.Box for fifty years and I chose the number - it's the same as my house number and the last four digits of my telephone number. 

Tom

A=0)(B=1)(C=2)(D=3)(E=4)(F=5)(G=6)(H=7)(I=8)(J=9)(K=10)(L=11)(M=12)(N=13)(O=14)(P=15)(Q=16)(R=17)(S=18)(T=19)(U=20)(V=21)(W=22)(X=23)(Y=24)(Z=25) 

Edited by Tom Hume

42 minutes ago, Tom Hume said:

My take is that the card, like dozens of other enigmas surrounding Oswald, are puzzles for you and I to ponder and eventually solve. Below your picture it says, “Interests: solving puzzles”. I don’t think you meant the same kind of “puzzles” I’m talking about, but it might be something to consider.

Hey Tom,

There are some puzzles I'm really outstanding at solving and some kinds that frustrate me to no end. I'm fascinated by your ICO puzzles and always enjoy reading your work but they also confuse me a lot. As a former systems analyst, I probably approach my puzzles using different and more practical (to me) methods. I always appreciate your input though.

...back to the ID card. this is an example of a Marine Corps Inactive ID from roughly the same period. I still don't understand the DoD ID at all:

usmcidcrd19621964jtsobv.jpg