The Education Forum

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/18/2024 at 9:04 PM, Chuck Schwartz said:

The name of the book is "Admitted Assassin". 

I'm looking forward to reading it. I believe Roscoe White is a significant figure in the assassination. Thanks for the heads up, Chuck.

YouTube - “Michael Brownlow interviews B.W. (Bobby) Hargis Part 1 / 2”
Uploaded by gbm hon 2022

https://youtu.be/047rHDKqqxA?si=o7GgyFjxabr3B2fm

Transcript from 7:41 - 8:42

BROWNLOW: Now Hargar, let's clear up one thing real quickly: When you got up to the grassy knoll, up by the little retainer wall, and you looked over…

HARGIS: Mmm hmm.

BROWNLOW: …and you said you saw some people. Now, as the years have went by Officer Hargis, especially since 1974, a man who I knew - as you, being a police officer. I met him in s… I met him the year he was… died. Some people say he was killed or murdered. I don't know. Roscoe White was a Dallas police officer. You knew him, right?

HARGIS: Yes. Uh, huh.

BROWNLOW: And you know all these years these books have been written by many researchers, they have claimed there was a man behind the fence they call the Badgeman on the grassy knoll.

HARGIS: No.

BROWNLOW: And they said he shot the president. And a lot of them say it was Roscoe White. Now, Officer Hargis, being one of the few people to know that Roscoe White was on the grassy knoll - when you saw him, what was he doing?

HARGIS: Roscoe White was doing like I was doing, looking for someone who (unclear) the shot. He couldn't tell just like I couldn't…

BROWNLOW: That's right.

HARGIS …where the shot was coming from.

I have Treachery In Dallas and Admitted Assassin on order. I had Treachery on my wish list so long I had forgotten why I added it, so when I culled the list a few years back I deleted it. I already have an unbelievable number of JFK books and don't really need to add more to my overflowing collection (hopefully only a select few Kindle JFK books in my future.) But I'm interested in learning as much as I can about Roscoe White, and neither of the two are available as e-books, so I just went ahead and ordered the physical copies.

I'm looking forward to reading them and discussing the subject further. Thanks again for the recommendations.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 11:36 PM, Denny Zartman said:

I have Admitted Assassin on order. I'm looking forward to reading and discussing the subject further. Thanks again for the recommendations.

I'm reading 'A.A.' at present.  Always been agnostic on 'Badgeman' & Roscoe White.  However, co-authors J. Gary Shaw & Brian Edwards are sound investigators.  The book points to White being part of an ONI assassination team, his code name Mandarin on three cables sent by a 'C. Bowers' with acronym 'OSHA', interpreted as Office of Special Handling Assignments.  With each message indicating 'RE-rifle'.  Up to a point, (I'm only half way through the book) it is an interesting story, although not completely sold on the Tippit claims.

Interested to hear from Denny or others who have read Admitted Assassin for their thoughts. 

21 minutes ago, Pete Mellor said:

I'm reading 'A.A.' at present.  Always been agnostic on 'Badgeman' & Roscoe White.  However, co-authors J. Gary Shaw & Brian Edwards are sound investigators.  The book points to White being part of an ONI assassination team, his code name Mandarin on three cables sent by a 'C. Bowers' with acronym 'OSHA', interpreted as Office of Special Handling Assignments.  With each message indicating 'RE-rifle'.  Up to a point, (I'm only half way through the book) it is an interesting story, although not completely sold on the Tippit claims.

Interested to hear from Denny or others who have read Admitted Assassin for their thoughts. 

Speaking of Roscoe White and "Badgeman," I was recently re-reading the chapter on Lee Bowers in Hit List.

Bowers claimed--prior to his untimely death--that he was afraid to tell people everything he had witnessed in the parking lot behind the Grassy Knoll on 11/22/63.

If true, what, on earth, would have frightened him?

Is it possible that Bowers saw a man in a police uniform shooting at JFK?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

I'm also halfway through the book now, and I'm working on an updated version of this thread that I'll try to post soon.

Admitted Assassin is a good book that seems honestly and carefully written. The reproduction of the "scrapbook" is quite interesting.

I'm not sure this forum has ever discussed the radio equipment and large antenna discovered near Van Horn, a town in far west Texas that Roscoe had visited at least once in 1961 and reportedly took his family there just prior to the JFKA. Admitted Assassin also has a new detail I hadn't heard about Van Horn: along with the radio equipment, it seems approximately 2,000 empty rifle casings measuring 6.5mm were also found.

Admitted Assassin also seems to reveal for the first time a connection between Roscoe White and the Fort Worth based Special Agent for the Office of Naval Intelligence, John Mason Lankford. Lankford reportedly took part in security both before and after JFK's assassination.

Edited by Denny Zartman

28 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Speaking of Roscoe White and "Badgeman," I was recently re-reading the chapter on Lee Bowers in Hit List.

Bowers claimed--prior to his untimely death--that he was afraid to tell people everything he had witnessed in the parking lot behind the Grassy Knoll on 11/22/63.

If true, what, on earth, would have frightened him?

Is it possible that Bowers saw a man in a police uniform shooting at JFK?

Ed Hoffman says he saw four men moving behind the fence: a yardman, a man in a business suit, a man in a plaid shirt, and a uniformed police officer.

In a 2003 interview, Bobby Hargis seemed to confirm that he encountered Roscoe White on the grassy knoll moments after the assassination.

Transcript from 7:41 - 8:42

BROWNLOW: Now Hargar, let's clear up one thing real quickly: When you got up to the grassy knoll, up by the little retainer wall, and you looked over…

HARGIS: Mmm hmm.

BROWNLOW: …and you said you saw some people. Now, as the years have went by Officer Hargis, especially since 1974, a man who I knew - as you, being a police officer. I met him in s… I met him the year he was… died. Some people say he was killed or murdered. I don't know. Roscoe White was a Dallas police officer. You knew him, right?

HARGIS: Yes. Uh, huh.

BROWNLOW: And you know all these years these books have been written by many researchers, they have claimed there was a man behind the fence they call the Badgeman on the grassy knoll.

HARGIS: No.

BROWNLOW: And they said he shot the president. And a lot of them say it was Roscoe White. Now, Officer Hargis, being one of the few people to know that Roscoe White was on the grassy knoll - when you saw him, what was he doing?

HARGIS: Roscoe White was doing like I was doing, looking for someone who (unclear) the shot. He couldn't tell just like I couldn't…

HARGIS: …where the shot was coming from.

I respect J. Gary Shaw and Brian Edwards for their work I have read and dedication.  They are about the only reason I think I will read this.  I did live in the D-F/W area at the time of Rickey's press conference about his attic find.  Drove to Dallas 1-2 times a week as part of my job.  Sometimes, right through Dealy Plaza.  The story was in the newspapers, on tv, in magazines.  They kept it alive for a while.

When I saw the topic of the thread I thought, eh?  Rickey, I thought he had been pretty well discredited.  His dad another Admitted Assassin like James Files.

I'll try to keep an open mind.  I guess if Roscoe was an assassin on an ONI team it's possible.  But him then staying with the DPD for 2-3 (?) years, then to more menial jobs (?) until his "accident"?

The short version.

The longer version, provided by the forum's own respected researcher Vince Palamara.  Which I'm watching now.

On 3/14/2024 at 10:03 PM, Denny Zartman said:

I'm also halfway through the book now, and I'm working on an updated version of this thread that I'll try to post soon

Look forward to your thread Denny.  Very intriguing topic.

9 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

Look forward to your thread Denny.  Very intriguing topic.

It is interesting, I agree. There's lots to consider.

I've started a new thread that will hopefully have information and resources for those folks interested in learning more about Roscoe White and his possible involvement:

The Roscoe White Reader

On 3/14/2024 at 3:23 PM, Denny Zartman said:

HARGIS: …where the shot was coming from.

So, here we have a Dallas motorcycle police officer who was right there in Dealey Plaza when JFK was shot ( and supposedly one of the first DPD officers to run up to the area just above and beyond the Grassy Knoll ) saying he saw and recognized a fellow Dallas police officer Roscow White in uniform right there also ( close enough to him to recognize him ) just above the Grassy Knoll area , again, just seconds after JFK was hit? 

If Hargas is telling the truth it begs suspicious Roscoe White questions so important it's ridiculous!

What is this evidence/photo clerk hire with only a few months active duty on the force doing right in Dealey Plaza during the JFK shooting or at least seconds after the JFK hit? 

What was White's assignment that day? Was White out patrolling that day? Was he stationed on foot patrol in Dealey Plaza? Or, was he inside the DPD building and simply ran out the building and over to Dealey Plaza seconds after he heard of the shooting?

If so, he must have been given permission to leave his duty post by someone, right? I don't think DPD officers were just deciding what to do on their own impulsively at that Earth shaking time. 

Yes, Dealey Plaza was swarming with both DPD and Dallas Sheriff officers seconds and minutes after the shooting. But covert military background intrigue Roscoe White? Up behind the picket fence area within seconds of the shooting?

Well, we have at least one DPD officer on the scene who verifies White's presence above the knoll and the area just beyond, seconds after the shooting.

And at least two eyewitnesses saying they saw a uniformed DPD officer in that area just seconds after the shooting ( and before more officers ran up there ) as well.

Are Ed Hoffman and the on leave Army soldier taking film footage from the knoll top both totally discredited witnesses? Along with their accounts?

Edited by Joe Bauer

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

Are Ed Hoffman and the on leave Army soldier taking film footage from the knoll top both totally discredited witnesses? Along with their accounts?

I believe the soldier you are referring to is Gordon Arnold. Apparently he's not been definitively identified in any photos of the scene, and because of this some researchers doubt him. I know Beverly Oliver is doubted by many. As far as I know, Ed Hoffman has not been discredited.

2 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

What was White's assignment that day? Was White out patrolling that day? Was he stationed on foot patrol in Dealey Plaza? Or, was he inside the DPD building and simply ran out the building and over to Dealey Plaza seconds after he heard of the shooting?

From what I understand, White did not start attending police academy until December, so it seems hard for me to believe that he would be out on patrol or really doing anything that would involve interaction with the general public before then. But I don't know. Despite his status as a new recruit he unquestionably had access to sensitive evidence in the evidence room, that much seems apparent.

5 hours ago, Denny Zartman said:

From what I understand, White did not start attending police academy until December, so it seems hard for me to believe that he would be out on patrol or really doing anything that would involve interaction with the general public before then.

Exactly!

How did he end up right above the grassy knoll area with officer Hargas just seconds after JFK was shot?

Roscoe White hadn't even attended the police academy until the following month? Yet there he is chasing the bad guys along with years experienced Hargas?

It took Roger Craig and his Sheriff's department buddies at least a couple of minutes to run from their headquarters to Elm street.

Hargis was seen at the north Elm lamppost about 16 seconds after the head shot. This makes it impossible for him to have run to the patio wall. 
 Hargis did say he ran uphill to get a better more elevated view of the knoll. The best Hargis could have done, imo, is continued his run for about 15 ft up the grass(Taking about one second and gaining about 3 ft of elevation.), before stopping and heading for the lamppost.
He also said he saw witnesses in that area and no one was acting suspiciously or "Running". But Hargis could have seen those patio witnesses upper torsos well before reaching the wall. He could have yelled to Roscoe White from  near the sidewalk as he ran.
 It is possible Hargis did see the witnesses on the patio and did talk to White and still ended up at the lamppost in 16 seconds. It comes down to a couple seconds and I don't think there is a record of the exact second LBJ's SS follow up car passed by and allowed Hargis to start across Elm.