The Education Forum

Maybe this only resonates with me and thats OK

On 11/22/63, I was a sophomore at Brigham Young University. I read the 26 volumes twice over the years and the enormous number of unanswered questions speaks conspiracy to me.

You may feel differently and that's fine, but two separate tours at Detroit Homicide taught me some important things and I rely on my gut a lot more often than I do my MA in Education.

That is pretty impressive to have read them twice.  Its over 17,000 pages and they are really boring since no one ever asks the right questions.

Well, I had 50 years to do it. And it is obvious when they're about to tumble to something important they change directions.

1 hour ago, Evan Marshall said:

And it is obvious when they're about to tumble to something important they change directions.

I noticed that time and time and time again Evan.

Just a few examples: 

Michael Paine questioning.

Orest Pena.

Jack Ruby himself about Mafia connections throughout his life. His gun running, gambling activities, association with the FBI etc.

Believing him over Seth Kantor regards their 11/22/1963 Parkland Hospital meet up. etc.

So, so many others.

1 hour ago, Stephanie Goldberg said:

Are there any unanswered questions which speak to you more strongly than others?  

I've told this story before but not in a while, so forgive me for repeating myself.  In the latter 90's in an old house that needed to be torn down next door to my brother in-law's, that he and my wife were raise in I found a copy of the 360 page Associate Press summation of the Warren Report.  I read it almost to the end.  Where they say Jack Ruby had no mafia ties.  I threw it against the wall.  It rested on the floor beneath where I threw it for a week.  It's back on the top shelf as a reminder.  The mob didn't kill JFK.  But Ruby was a fixer for them in Dallas.

See below for my comments on Carl Oglesby and his essential book on the case

and on modern American politics. He also wrote a short primer on the JFK

assassination -- among other works.

Edited by Joseph McBride

8 minutes ago, Joseph McBride said:

Carl Oglesby has a brilliant section in THE YANKEE AND COWBOY WAR deconstructing Jack Ruby's WC testimony. It is riveting and illuminating. As with much of the WC testimony -- but especially here -- you have to read between the lines. One way to deal with the terrible frustration this causes is -- as has been pointed out -- to study the omissions as a negative template for truth. You often stare at the pages in anger and astonishment at the obvious questions that were not asked. Similarly, the MSM have a habit in our country of not asking good followup questions. Politicians have learned how to use this to their advantage; it's part of the game that's played. Dick Cheney was/is a master of it. Someone like Tim Russert would ask a relatively pointed question, the politician would deflect it, and there would be no effective followup. Sometimes the game involves a further layer of deception, i.e., a followup question that is either relatively innocuous or designed to let the politician skate through it. They usually are just allowed to get away with lies or obfuscations. Rarely are they grilled at length, which is one of the few ways to start getting at the deeper story. Another is to find a way, if possible, of getting the subject just to talk and ramble on, as Jack Ruby did, and significant comments and admissions start emerging. Seemingly the WC didn't care in a sense what he said, because they wanted to frame his remarks as those of a crazy person who didn't know what he was talking about; the most poignant moment is when Ruby begs Earl Warren to take him back to Washington so he could tell the truth, and Warren affects a lack of interest.

This all reminds me of a story Gore Vidal told about a conversation he had with a friend from the USSR during the Cold War era. The friend seemed surprisingly well-informed. Vidal asked him how he knew all that. The man said he got his information from reading Pravda. Vidal wondered how that could be. The man smiled and said, "You have to know how to read Pravda." Vidal observed that the same is true of reading the New York Times, our version of Pravda.

Edited by Joseph McBride

2 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

While Ruby did ramble, he knew enough to keep his most revealing statements off the record. According to Specter, Ruby cornered him when the court reporter was changing tapes and told him to get to Abe Fortas and ask Abe Fortas to help him testify in Washington. Specter claimed he thought this was weird and failed to act on it. It would later come out that Fortas was Johnson's most trusted adviser, and the secret architect of the Warren Commission. Ruby somehow knew this, but Specter did not.

Fortas helped steal the 1948 Senate election for LBJ

and was indeed a key adviser. Eventually LBJ even appointed him to

the US Supreme Court, which proved disastrous. Laura Kalman

wrote an excellent 1990 biography of Fortas. He was one

of those extremely important figures behind the scenes

who make things happen in DC. 

Edited by Joseph McBride

Jack Ruby knowing more about the key power people than Arlen Specter?

Just another tip off that Ruby was much more than the small time, funky strip joint owner nobody whose daily life so often centered around scream fest arguing with his pay disgruntled girls, pummeling out-of-line liquored up customers, pampering his dachshund dogs, constantly juggling his over due bills and regularly delivering late night deli sandwiches to the Dallas PD, etc.

Anyone who could make direct calls to the biggest time Chicago mob hit men like Lenny Patrick and Dave Yaras and get them returned, run go between for Santos Trafficante while Trafficante is in a Cuban jail, get permission to hire one of the hottest strippers in America out of Carlos Marcello's home town ( Jada ) to for once outdo his local competition Abe and Barney Weinstein and keep up with the likes of Lewis McWillie and Mickey Cohen and garner a one-on-one interview with America's most well known celebrity columnist Dorothy Kilgallen suggests someone a little more connected than a barely month-to-month making it strip joint owner.

It's almost common knowledge now that Ruby was regularly involved in many nefarious activities outside of his little club that were of much larger magnitudes of criminal financial doings. 

The Carousel Club seems more a benign activity cover for Jack Ruby and his heavier contact doings  (and which the WC obviously steered away from ) than his main source of business income.

Jack Ruby knowing more about the key power people than Arlen Specter?

Just another tip off that Ruby was much more than the small time, run down strip joint owner nobody whose daily life so often centered around scream fest arguing with his pay disgruntled girls, pummeling out-of-line liquored up customers, pampering his dachshund dogs, constantly juggling his over due bills and regularly delivering late night deli sandwiches to the Dallas PD, etc.

Anyone who could make direct calls to the biggest time Chicago mob hit men like Lenny Patrick and Dave Yaras and get them returned, run go between for Santos Trafficante while Trafficante is in a Cuban jail, get permission to hire one of the hottest strippers in America out of Carlos Marcello's home town ( Jada ) to for once outdo his local competition Abe and Barney Weinstein and keep up with the likes of Lewis McWillie and Mickey Cohen and garner a one-on-one interview with America's most well known celebrity columnist Dorothy Kilgallen suggests someone a little more connected than a barely month-to-month making it strip joint owner.

It's almost common knowledge now that Ruby was regularly involved in many nefarious activities outside of his little club that were of much larger magnitudes of criminal financial doings. 

The Carousel Club seems more a benign activity cover for Jack Ruby and his heavier contact doings  (and which the WC obviously steered away from ) than his main source of business doings and income.

Testimony? Ruby, the Paines, SS agents in the car with JFK and John Connolly.