The Education Forum

Debate Future

On 6/30/2019 at 10:34 PM, Ron Bulman said:

If you want to do a walkabout of Dealy Plaza some time PM me.  Rick McTauge (?) might be interested.

Ron, Thanks for thinking about me on the DP walkabout!

Darell, I'd be glad to meet up sometime down there and walk around, bounce ideas and thoughts off each other.  I tend to avoid it (DP) during the summer / fall months due to heat, but I'm down for anytime around November through Feb/March.  Please keep my name handy, I'll post here when I'm going down there and hopefully a few can join!  Meanwhile, you can do a search for my posts which include pictures I've taken quite recently.

Thanks - take care!

Rick

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I led walking tours there for some 15 years during the November conferences so I do know the area...grin.  I even led tours of friends when I worked trade shows in Dallas.  Unfortunately I've come to truly hate downtown Dallas traffic...although getting to and from the Plaza parking lot on a weekend is perhaps the most painless version of it.  I'm a ways from I-35 though, Dallas is about a four hour drive one way for me.

Edited by Larry Hancock

5 hours ago, Rick McTague said:

Darell, I'd be glad to meet up sometime down there and walk around, bounce ideas and thoughts off each other.  I tend to avoid it (DP) during the summer / fall months due to heat, but I'm down for anytime around November through Feb/March.  Please keep my name handy, I'll post here when I'm going down there and hopefully a few can join!  Meanwhile, you can do a search for my posts which include pictures I've taken quite recently.

Thanks - take care!

Rick

Rick,

Anytime is fine. I still haven't satisfied myself in terms of having taken DP in fully. Growing up, I never really thought about it, even having driven down Elm countless times. Even after Stone's movie came out, it never made an impression. It wasn't until around 2002 I finally saw Stone's "JFK" and then it finally registered. Since then, I've never really had many opportunities to go to DP and really spend some time there. All that to say, I'll probably always be interested in driving over to see the place.

It's too bad I didn't take an interest before the renovated the book depository, and especially before they installed the 6th floor propaganda machine.

On 6/29/2019 at 10:04 PM, Ron Bulman said:

Registration for the JFK Assassination Debate reopens Monday.  Any potential recruit's anyone can recommend?  

I've been wondering about survival of the site based on recent participation.  I usually observe who's on line when I visit.  Not as many recently as in the past, though people have come and gone over the years.  Too often lately when I check in I see 1, 2, 3 others or even only myself.   Without sustained comment how can the debate continue?

Well the debate/analysis will surely end on sites such as this if they're shut down. Any debate or analysis that currently ongoing should continue.

I'm one of the administrators of the forum. I've been here quite a few years. I used to visit daily, now it's less often due to the demands of life, with an older parent and I being the only family member living in close proximity...and with Medicare about to start for myself, while I'm hoping to last another 22-1/2 months on my day job so I can qualify to keep my insurance when I retire.

As an admin, I don't participate in the discussions as much as I once did. I enjoyed the discussions and the email exchanges with the late Gerry Patrick Hemming and the late Tom Purvis. Truth is, many of the older folks who either knew something (Hemming) or did extensive research (like Purvis purchasing his own 6.5 mm Carcano rifle) have either passed on or have developed health issues. I bought Larry Hancock's SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TALKED in 2010, and I appreciate Larry sticking by the forum and clarifying details for members who may have a lack of clarity on some of the stuff Larry has researched and has written about.

Personally, I still believe that asking WHO BENEFITTED from various aspects of the case can help us find the truth. In the broader 1960-1974 context, I still think the political assassinations, assassination attempts (George Wallace) and figurative assassinations (Chappaquiddick) all are elements leading to the rise and fall of Richard Nixon. I think the "bungled" assassination attempts on the life of Gerald Ford were warning shots, to keep Ford "on-script." I think it all ties back to the Warren Omission and "the Bay of Pigs thing." But my available time to research is limited, in more ways than one.

Ask questions. You'll seldom find the answer to an unarmed question.

Mil Intel...even though Oswald was an ex-Marine, could he have been working for Army Intel instead of the more obvious ONI? I think that's an under-researched area of investigation.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:29 AM, Rick McTague said:

Thanks - take care!

Rick

I can't handle the Texas heat as well as I used to anymore myself.  At least the latter half of October for me.  That and I hate the traffic anymore.  Sometimes backed up and creeping.  Or on the toll roads ya better do 85 or get out of the way, easy to miss an exit the way things have changed around over the years.

I think the "bungled" assassination attempts on the life of Gerald Ford were warning shots, to keep Ford "on-script."

I tend to think that the un-elected V-P Nelson Rockefeller had a lot to do with those attempts, which were followed by Nelson's declination to be Ford's running mate later, allegedly because of his dissatisfaction with the political landscape.  (I. e.., the jig was up after a second failed attempt.)  The sloppiness of the attempts may have masked a hidden gunman, as in the Hinckley affair between Bush and Reagan.

The Rockefellers greatly helped Nixon's election, and staffed his White House with their minders - down, finally, to Al Haig, who convinced Nixon to resign.  What, except influence, would cause Ford to accept Nelson as V-P?

I often feel that some things are just as naked as they appear, and it is we who insist on dressing them in our incredulity.

Edited by David Andrews

24 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

I think the "bungled" assassination attempts on the life of Gerald Ford were warning shots, to keep Ford "on-script."

I tend to think that the un-elected V-P Nelson Rockefeller had a lot to do with those attempts, which were followed by Nelson's declination to be Ford's running mate later, allegedly because of his dissatisfaction with the political landscape.  (I. e.., the jig was up after a second failed attempt.)  The sloppiness of the attempts may have masked a hidden gunman, as in the Hinckley affair between Bush and Reagan.

The Rockefellers greatly helped Nixon's election, and staffed his White House with their minders - down, finally to Al Haig, who convinced Nixon to resign.  What, except influence, would cause Ford to accept Nelson as V-P?

I often feel that some things are just as naked as they appear, and it we who insist on dressing them in our incredulity.

Nelson's brother was David.  He/they along with others, including the Dulles's  created the Council On Foreign Relations.  Somebody had the final ok to proceed.  The Rothschild's ?

When I began posting here in 2004, I thought I knew a few things about the assassination. But I quickly realized that I didn’t even know what I didn’t know. Which only served to deepen my interest in the case. There were some really great people on here (and there still are, of course) who helped me find my way and even became friends. For all its warts, I have a great affection for this place and I’d hate to see it go.   

I visit almost daily to see what’s new and I search for material on old threads now and then. As Stephanie and Michael pointed out, so much excellent work has been shared here over the years… the old threads are a gold mine. The reason I rarely post these days is that at some point I shifted to researching specific aspects of the case and working on things privately with a few like-minded people. It wasn’t really a conscious decision, it’s just how things evolved. I’d love to still spend time on here kicking the can and learning more, but there are only so many hours in the day. I do miss it.

Aside from my personal experience, I have observed that much of the activity that used to take place here has moved to the Facebook groups. While I strongly prefer this venue and have no love for Facebook, it is easy and convenient for the masses.

Stephanie, Darrell and John… I am so glad you guys are here. You are exactly what is great about a forum like this. Never feel awkward or worry about asking anything. I asked many questions on topics I felt like everyone else knew well but me. I got things wrong sometimes and stumbled around things I thought I already knew and felt a little embarrassed at times. So what? It helped me learn and it was part of the process. I learned a lot about the case and a lot about how to conduct research and a lot about how to think critically and a lot about how to communicate with people I may disagree with and not be a jerk (don’t ask around on that last one, just trust me). You won’t always get everything right and, on rare occasions, people on the internet will point that out to you. Once in a while you’ll have some self-proclaimed “expert” talk down to you or have to deal with someone who’s a jerk. Just know that everyone else reading their posts, and likely in their real lives, hates them too.

Ron, Steve, Michael, David, Larry, Joe, Rick, B.A, Mark… even though I rarely chime in, I always enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Greg

Edited by Greg Wagner

2 hours ago, Greg Wagner said:

When I began posting here in 2004, I thought I knew a few things about the assassination. But I quickly realized that I didn’t even know what I didn’t know. Which only served to deepen my interest in the case. There were some really great people on here (and there still are, of course) who helped me find my way and even became friends. For all its warts, I have a great affection for this place and I’d hate to see it go.   

I visit almost daily to see what’s new and I search for material on old threads now and then. As Stephanie and Michael pointed out, so much excellent work has been shared here over the years… the old threads are a gold mine. The reason I rarely post these days is that at some point I shifted to researching specific aspects of the case and working on things privately with a few like-minded people. It wasn’t really a conscious decision, it’s just how things evolved. I’d love to still spend time on here kicking the can and learning more, but there are only so many hours in the day. I do miss it.

Aside from my personal experience, I have observed that much of the activity that used to take place here has moved to the Facebook groups. While I strongly prefer this venue and have no love for Facebook, it is easy and convenient for the masses.

Stephanie, Darrell and John… I am so glad you guys are here. You are exactly what is great about a forum like this. Never feel awkward or worry about asking anything. I asked many questions on topics I felt like everyone else knew well but me. I got things wrong sometimes and stumbled around things I thought I already knew and felt a little embarrassed at times. So what? It helped me learn and it was part of the process. I learned a lot about the case and a lot about how to conduct research and a lot about how to think critically and a lot about how to communicate with people I may disagree with and not be a jerk (don’t ask around on that last one, just trust me). You won’t always get everything right and, on rare occasions, people on the internet will point that out to you. Once in a while you’ll have some self-proclaimed “expert” talk down to you or have to deal with someone who’s a jerk. Just know that everyone else reading their posts, and likely in their real lives, hates them too.

Ron, Steve, Michael, David, Larry, Joe, Rick, B.A, Mark… even though I rarely chime in, I always enjoy reading your posts. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Greg

What an uplifting and encouraging post. 

Thanks to you for this Greg.

On 7/3/2019 at 6:38 PM, Mark Knight said:

I'm one of the administrators of the forum. I've been here quite a few years. I used to visit daily, now it's less often due to the demands of life, with an older parent and I being the only family member living in close proximity...and with Medicare about to start for myself, while I'm hoping to last another 22-1/2 months on my day job so I can qualify to keep my insurance when I retire.

As an admin, I don't participate in the discussions as much as I once did. I enjoyed the discussions and the email exchanges with the late Gerry Patrick Hemming and the late Tom Purvis. Truth is, many of the older folks who either knew something (Hemming) or did extensive research (like Purvis purchasing his own 6.5 mm Carcano rifle) have either passed on or have developed health issues. I bought Larry Hancock's SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TALKED in 2010, and I appreciate Larry sticking by the forum and clarifying details for members who may have a lack of clarity on some of the stuff Larry has researched and has written about.

Personally, I still believe that asking WHO BENEFITTED from various aspects of the case can help us find the truth. In the broader 1960-1974 context, I still think the political assassinations, assassination attempts (George Wallace) and figurative assassinations (Chappaquiddick) all are elements leading to the rise and fall of Richard Nixon. I think the "bungled" assassination attempts on the life of Gerald Ford were warning shots, to keep Ford "on-script." I think it all ties back to the Warren Omission and "the Bay of Pigs thing." But my available time to research is limited, in more ways than one.

Ask questions. You'll seldom find the answer to an unarmed question.

Mil Intel...even though Oswald was an ex-Marine, could he have been working for Army Intel instead of the more obvious ONI? I think that's an under-researched area of investigation.

Agree with you on Army Intel, whether or not Oswald was working for them.

All by myself here on the forum.  Except 48 guests.  There is more to my life but this place does interest me on a daily basis as a general rule.  I don't know where else to keep up with the subject or ask questions and comment on it as a layman in a better format than here.  If it should ever cease to be I hope it's remains will be preserved.  Obviously a unequaled resource for future historian's to sort through for the Truth.  That and I've been going to tell my kid's and grandkids when older, if you ever get seriously interested in the subject and want to know my thoughts look for my posts on the education forum JFK debate and JFK Facts, as Ronnie Wayne. 

Are we ever truly alone on the internet?

I also find myself here frequently, making me wonder if I should just go back to school and get another degree.  I could do one in history this time and finally justify some of the research I find myself doing now.

So a question for those who have posted here more frequently - if I see an older thread which deals with a subject of interest, should I piggyback a new question onto that thread?  Or would it be more useful to start a new thread and add the link to the older thread for reference?