The Education Forum

Ruby and the Western Union

Was there a Western Union closer to Ruby's apartment than the one behind the DPD HQ?

Someone emailed me and said that today  there is.   But he is not sure if it existed in 1963.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do libraries keep copies of old telephone directories and yellow pages? A library in Dallas might have a copy from 1963. After all, it was a significant year there.

16 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Was there a Western Union closer to Ruby's apartment than the one behind the DPD HQ?

Someone emailed me and said that today  there is.   But he is not sure if it existed in 1963.

Jim,

Here is a 1961 Dallas City Directory.

I haven't looked yet to see where the Western Union offices were.

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth806907/

Steve Thomas

Steve:

It looks like there was then.

Yep, good catch Daniel.

There has always been the heavy promotion of Ruby's arriving at, entrance access to and presence in the Dallas Police building basement the morning of 11,24,1963 beginning with ( supposedly without premeditated planning and forethought and motivated only by curiosity ) his leaving the Western Union Office and his car nearby, then walking to and past the DPD building street crowd and right up to and sauntering past a police guarded entrance, then quickly walking down a highly visibly open car ramp to squeeze himself into the cramped mass of aggressively positioning bodies of reporters, camera, cable and light people and even plain clothed police officers to get into a perfectly placed location to allow him with one quick jump to get within inches of a wide open Oswald to blast him in the gut with his 38 Colt Cobra revolver...as simple happenstance luck.

And luckily again, in the middle of all that armed, super heightened security alert tension and Ruby jumping out at Oswald and his two side guards with his gun drawn, getting off his shot and struggling energetically with a half dozen officers, no one thinks to shoot Ruby?

And this innocent minded action on Ruby's part just somehow turned from a simple curiosity driven adventure into a life and death risking mission of murderous revenge for Jackie Kennedy's loss?

With the final Oswald coup de gras also made possible by the pure coincidental timing of Oswald's wide open perp walk transfer passing just feet from Ruby's lucky position location ???

A conclusion based heavily on the fact that Ruby left his beloved wife/dog Sheba, his keys and $2,000 in cash ( equivalent to $16,500 in today's dollars ) in his car before all this unplanned, impulsive and super lucky timing and location act of murderous craziness.

Jim Garrison reminded us in his July 15, 1967 nationally broadcast NBC equal time rebuttal to their televised criticism of his investigation that "fairy tales" are fine when used to entertain children, but irresponsibly dangerous when promoted outside of that age realm for nefarious truth hiding reasons.

The Jack Ruby assassination of Lee Harvey Oswald right inside the Dallas Police Department building in broad daylight and to a live prime time TV audience of millions (as officially explained ) is one of those dangerous truth hiding fairy tales...imo.

Edited by Joe Bauer

31 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Why didn't Ruby just drive over to Little Lynn's apartment and hand her that measly little $25?

Would've saved them both a lot of wait and travel time as well as the cost of sending this little money order.

No, Ruby had to go to the downtown Western Union. He had some other business to attend to in that location. What a great cover explanation he had handed to him by Little Lynn and at just the right time.

Joe,

I might be wrong, but I think Little Lynn was living in Fort Worth at the time. I'd have to back and look.

If you look these guys up in the Mary Ferrell Foundation, you should be able to read their FBI statements.

At 10:00 Ruby was supposed to still be in bed.

John Smith, video reporter for WBAP-TV saw Ruby at about 8:00 AM on 11/24 standing on the Commerce St. sidewalk. WBAB-TV truck parked on Commerce St. about 25' from the basement ramp. Smith spoke to Ruby. Saw him again about 10:00 AM next to the ramp. Ruby looked like a person who was "just killing time."

Ira Walker, employee WBAB-TV saw Ruby between 7:30 and 8:00 AM near WBAB-TV truck. Walker said he first saw Ruby shortly after the armored truck was backed into the basement of the Police Department. Ruby came up to the WBAP-TV truck and asked if Oswald had been brought down yet. Walker told him "no". Ruby came up to truck and asked this question on two occasions.

Steve Thomas

Joe, it was not handed to  him by Little Lynn.

I spent a lot of time on this in The JFK Assassination: The Evidence Today.  It became pretty obvious to me that this was Ruby's idea and that the FBI rehearsed the Carlins in order to make it seem like it was the other way around.  They were on them round the clock, calling not just them but, for example, Bruce Carlin's colleague from work Tom Thomas. In other words they wanted Thomas to talk to Carlin about the story he was supposed to tell.  As I wrote, " Bruce  complained about the harassment by the FBI and Secret Service and how he even lost a job over his testimony.....And before Hubert deposed Bruce Carlin he admitted he pre-interviewed him in the hallway....According to an undated DPD record which probably was transmitted in April, 1964, Karen revealed that she had been interviewed by the FBI and Secret Service, seven times." (p. 226)   

And now we find out that there probably was a closer Western union he could have gone to.  Was it open that day?

Edited by James DiEugenio

2 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

And now we find out that there probably was a closer Western union he could have gone to.  Was it open that day?

Was the one that he went to the main location? It can be argued that he just went there not knowing about other locations or bothering to check.

Ron:

Is this you bughliose moment?

Do you really think this was the first time he ever used Western Union?

Edited by James DiEugenio