The Education Forum

Mark Zaid, JFK and Trump

James DiEugenio

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought of starting a new topic but since this one has digressed somewhat in respect to this subject...

It's impossible to know, pure speculation but how would JFK have handled a potential Pandemic?  

He had to be familiar with the concept given the flu outbreak in 1957-1958.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1957-1958-pandemic.html

Would he have passed it off out of hand, given it to Johnson to handle?

On 3/7/2020 at 1:54 AM, James DiEugenio said:

Why would Biden be any stronger a candidate against Trump than HRC?

IMO, in a debate, Trump will KO Biden on Iraq and Afghanistan.  Just like he did Jeb Bush. Biden would also be vulnerable on NAFTA.

Why do you think Trump fears him? Remember that "perfect phone call" to try to get a foreign government to get Biden? It was worth bribing Ukraine with millions of dollars in aid and getting impeached.

2 hours ago, Ron Ecker said:

Why do you think Trump fears him? Remember that "perfect phone call" to try to get a foreign government to get Biden? It was worth bribing Ukraine with millions of dollars in aid and getting impeached.

There was a lot of pent up anger against GWB, that was not vented, first because Obama,  the "Jackie Robinson" of the Presidents observed the Presidential candidate tradition of not criticizing the sitting Lame duck President, even though he was on record as opposing the Iraq War  from the beginning..  And Clinton couldn't do it, because after all, she voted for it. The Democrats were the ones who stood to benefit politically from the disastrous Iraq War, but they were too "nice" to do it. ( Like bringing a knife to a gun fight.) And the 2016 Republican candidates all voted for it, so they couldn't say anything. So Trump staged a coup on it capitalizing on long held frustration and Democrat paralysis.

As for Biden's vulnerability on Iraq and Afghanistan, that's important to us, but not really so much for the public, who are now largely over it and want to forget about it. I think Biden is more vulnerable in the states that matter on Nafta.
Edited by Kirk Gallaway

4 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
As for Biden's vulnerability on Iraq and Afghanistan, that's important to us, but not really so much for the public, who are now largely over it and want to forget about it. I think Biden is more vulnerable in the states that matter on Nafta.

What has candidate Biden said about it? Has he called his support of the invasion of Iraq a mistake or has he tried to justify it? I haven't seen him challenged on it, but I may have missed it. The smartest and easier thing to do is to say that in hindsight it was a mistake. But I can't think like a politician. At my age and after three and a half years of Trump, I'm kind of surprised I can still think at all.

I agree Ron. Actually HClinton could have done that and say she was just "supporting her President in a time of national emergency" blah blah blah. It never looks good, but at least people are encouraged that their politicians will admit when they made a mistake. . Particularly now with Trump, that would be more important than ever. But that was an over ridng issue with Hillary Clinton as a candidate in general.

In his Super Tuesday speech, Biden seemed to be talking more like Bernie about health care. That's what they all do.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

26 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:
There was a lot of pent up anger against GWB, that was not vented, first because Obama,  the "Jackie Robinson" of the Presidents observed the Presidential candidate tradition of not criticizing the sitting Lame duck President, even though he was on record as opposing the Iraq War  from the beginning..  And Clinton couldn't do it, because after all, she voted for it. The Democrats were the ones who stood to benefit politically from the disastrous Iraq War, but they were too "nice" to do it. ( Like bringing a knife to a gun fight.) And the 2016 Republican candidates all voted for it, so they couldn't say anything. So Trump staged a coup on it capitalizing on long held frustration and Democrat paralysis.

Obama nailed John McCain for his Iraq War jingoism in the 2008 Presidential debates.  I distinctly remember a critical moment in one of their debates, where Obama "politely" pointed out that McCain had been "DEAD WRONG" about his Iraq War prognostications.   But Obama's criticism was also grounded in the fact that McCain was still gung ho about the Iraq War in 2008-- at a time when most Americans had long since realized that the war was a policy fiasco.

And, yes, I agree that at this point the country doesn't want to talk, or even think, about Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, or Yemen.  In fact, the M$M has largely censored any coverage of Trump's complicity in the humanitarian disasters in Yemen, Mosul, and Syria since January of 2017.

As for Trump attacking Biden for his Iraq War vote, I doubt it will happen--partly because Trump has already been nailed for lying about, allegedly, opposing the invasion of Iraq in March of 2003.  He did no such thing.

Edited by W. Niederhut

5 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

As for Trump attacking Biden for his Iraq War vote, I doubt it will happen--partly because Trump has already been nailed for lying about, allegedly, opposing the invasion of Iraq in March of 2003.  He did no such thing.

I think it may depend on whether Trump actually believes his own lies. But I don't know what a pathological xxxx believes. In fact I think a psychiatrist would have an absolute field day by sitting down with Trump. He's a mental gold mine. The psychiatrist could write a book longer than "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire."

On 3/6/2020 at 4:31 PM, Sandy Larsen said:

Nate Silver? The guy who said in 2016 that Donald Trump had a 5% chance of winning the presidency?

I don't think much of him, either. But polling back to 2016 backs him up on this one thing.

In November, Silver gave Trump a 29 per cent chance of winning the Electoral College.

Which was  higher than almost anyone else.  Especially the Ny Times and Huffpost.

In fact, Huffpost wrote a column criticizing Silver about a week before the election for giving him that big of a chance.

Ron:

I really think this is the wrong approach to Trump.

Matt T. wrote several essays in 2016 for Rolling Stone. He gradually came to the conclusion that what Trump was doing was running around the Establishment: both the GOP establishment and the MSM. (This is why his attack on Jeb Bush for Iraq and the Middle East was so resoundingly effective.)

He understood that most of America had lost faith in both, and that as a person who had not run for office, he could don the role of the outsider.  Trump is a salesman and a promoter.  And Matt concluded that he had learned and honed his craft by doing Reality TV successfully. 

Towards the end of that race, where almost no one gave Trump a chance of winning, Matt realized that Trump had been correct in his perception of this path to an Electoral College victory. 

18 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

The psychiatrists' letter describes Trump perfectly, so I assume you're in agreement as to his mental instability.

13 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Ron:

I really think this is the wrong approach to Trump.

Matt T. wrote several essays in 2016 for Rolling Stone. He gradually came to the conclusion that what Trump was doing was running around the Establishment: both the GOP establishment and the MSM. (This is why his attack on Jeb Bush for Iraq and the Middle East was so resoundingly effective.)

He understood that most of America had lost faith in both, and that as a person who had not run for office, he could don the role of the outsider.  Trump is a salesman and a promoter.  And Matt concluded that he had learned and honed his craft by doing Reality TV successfully. 

Towards the end of that race, where almost no one gave Trump a chance of winning, Matt realized that Trump had been correct in his perception of this path to an Electoral College victory. 

Yes, Trump was "the outsider" and is a salesman and promoter. But I don't understand why you think the fact that he's a mental basket case is "the wrong approach." He's a POTUS running for reelection, and you really think his mental unfitness is sort of beside the point?

I just heard Bernie say on TV that Trump "lies all the time. He's a pathological xxxx." More people need to be talking about his sickness instead of just hemming and hawing about or even ignoring the crazy things he says and does.

Edited by Ron Ecker

5 minutes ago, Robert Wheeler said:

You know about people that "assume", I presume.

It's funny how the TDS sufferers keep going back to the same old playbook. 

• The President is mentally incapacitated (this is especially rich given Biden's difficulty with remembering his own name, what state he is in, which woman is his sister, which woman his wife, and not to touch kid's faces, etc.) Biden will not be Trump's challenger in November FYI. 
  • Campaign and Transition team CIA plants (Halper and Papadopolis) just like in the Nixon years (See George T. Bell; See where Halderman came from.)
  • False flags - Wait, there were no chemical weapons in Syria it turns out a year later?

Continue to assume "Team Trump" lacks the intelligence of the learned men and women of the MSM and DNC; it makes it all so much easier.

You posted the psychiatrists' letter, I didn't, but I thank you for posting it. l would say, to borrow Trump's lame-brained phraseology, it's a "perfect" letter.