The Education Forum

Merry Christmas to All.

Ron Bulman

Sorry you've suffered all those setbacks Joe. I can offer one recommendation, though hopefully the condition it's for is only temporary with you. And that is a "rollator" for your painful L4 fracture. I have a bad back and my rollator has greatly improved my quality of life. Best $60 I ever spent.

817-lLD+izL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Above:  My favorite model.

Edited by Sandy Larsen

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Sorry you've suffered all those setbacks Joe. I can offer one recommendation, though hopefully the condition it's for is only temporary with you. And that is a "rollator" for your painful L4 fracture. I have a bad back and my rollator has greatly improved my quality of life. Best $60 I ever spent.

817-lLD+izL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Above:  My favorite model.

Great, thank you.

15 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Good luck, Joe, and a better 2020 - a visionary year.

On 12/25/2019 at 5:31 AM, Ron Ecker said:

Merry Christmas to all. But as for Santa Claus, given the size of the world and the number of homes that have to be visited, I think the Single Sleigh Theory is physically impossible. There is no way that Santa acts alone.

Deleted

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

Joe,

I hope that you recover well in the weeks ahead.

The problem with the human spine is that the mammalian vertebrae evolved over millions of years for quadrupeds, who roamed the earth in a horizontal position.  Our bipedal hominid ancestors were latecomers on the evolutionary timescale.

This "design" problem with the bipedal hominid spine has been compounded in modern times by our sedentary lifestyles, because prolonged sitting (and standing) compresses the spine.  I had to contend with this problem during my career as a psychiatrist-- often sitting in my office chair for hours at a time.

What has worked well for me during the past decade has been a strategy of reducing the vertical (gravitational) compression of my lumbar spine by using a good reclining office chair, and a recliner at home called "The Perfect Chair," which can tilt back to a zero gravity position.   My low back pain has virtually disappeared since I retired last year, unless I have to sit for more than an hour in a straight back chair.  (I also use an inversion table at home for low back pain, but these are contraindicated for some spine problems, especially post-surgically.)

1 hour ago, Joe Bauer said:

Really? Wow.

Yeah Steve...in certain ways...it does.

Joe,

Even more than the pain is knowing that you'll never be able to do some of the things that you enjoyed so much in the past.

I gave my cedar/fiberglass canoe to a friend who has four boys.

Skiing? horseback riding? fugedabout it.

Steve

8 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Joe,

Even more than the pain is knowing that you'll never be able to do some of the things that you enjoyed so much in the past.

I gave my cedar/fiberglass canoe to a friend who has four boys.

Skiing? horseback riding? fugedabout it.

Steve

Bingo Steve on the skiing.  Haven't been in years but still had that thought if I'd really work out in the fall I could give it one more go.  Same with two stepping to country or western swing, much less the twist (3rd in an impromptu contest in the 80's).  

Pain starting in June worst sustained I've ever had.  Misdiagnosed nearly 3 months, bursitis, sciatic.  Pain was in hip, limped all the time tried crutches, no help cane very little, no sitting position comfortable for long.  Wake up every night, pain meds to go back to sleep.  Finally physical therapist: back. My general practitioner: MRI, after prior one of hip by osteopath.  Go see neurologist.  Three bulging discs, L4-L5 partially extruded, stenosis, bone spur,  go to pain doc for targeted steroid shot(s).  Neurologist doesn't want to operate until absolutely necessary as it requires going in from both sides to break part of a vertebrae to get to the bone spur inside the spinal column.  Then screwing in a metal rod.  I've been told this often results in tissue scarring that then requires more surgery. 

1st shot, 50% better.  I could usually walk without much of a limp or pain.  Second shot 70-80% better than the worst point.  Walk with no pain/limp short distances most of the time.  Lift 20 lbs. Released to limited spurts on riding mower on level ground.  Can pull 15 month old grandson onto my lap.  Actually, carried 3 year old to bed though I probably shouldn't have.  So it was a Merry Christmas, relatively speaking.  Shots usually last 6 months to two years per the pain doc.  Though he also says the extruded part of the disc will sometime come off and disintegrate, sometimes with pain relief.  The futures so bright I gotta wear shades.

What has all this to do with JFK?  Back pain and Profiles in Courage.   

Edited by Ron Bulman

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

The futures so bright I gotta wear shades.

Or as the existentialist Kierkegaard said of the future (or of life in general), "Do it or don't do it. Either way you'll regret it."

1 hour ago, Ron Ecker said:

Or as the existentialist Kierkegaard said of the future (or of life in general), "Do it or don't do it. Either way you'll regret it."

HA!  Love that quote.

13 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Bingo Steve on the skiing.  Haven't been in years but still had that thought if I'd really work out in the fall I could give it one more go.  Same with two stepping to country or western swing, much less the twist (3rd in an impromptu contest in the 80's).  

Ron,

Speaking of skiing, I drove up to Keystone last Friday (the 20th) for the first time this season.  As I was checking in with my 2019 season pass, I looked up at the board and had to do a double take...

Single Day Adult Lift Tickets-- $169   😟

Seniors (over 65)  $159

I was stunned.  We used to buy lift tickets for day trips to Winter Park and Loveland for $25 -- and not all that long ago.

Fortunately, season passes are still affordable for the vanishing middle class, (I paid $389 in September) but alpine skiing at Colorado resorts is becoming a sport for the 1%.    It's a shame.

Extreme wealth inequality in the U.S. is approaching 1929 levels.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:10 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Merry Xmas to everyone here.  

Even DVP if he is lurking.

To you too, Jim and everyone at the Ed Forum...