The Education Forum

Did Connally Know? Penn Jones Thought So

Connally may have been shot because the shooters may have been told to shoot Sen. Ralph Yarborough, the LBJ opponent who was supposed to be riding in the limo instead of Connally.  LBJ is said to have argued to put Connally into his car, and Kennedy is said to have refused.  It may have been too late to communicate the change of plans to the shooters.

We really can't tell if Connally had foreknowledge.  His famous cry could have been have been made in shock, having been wounded just after seeing that Kennedy, the more obvious political target, was hit.  Even then, people tended to think of a political enemy in the plural.  The whole Cold War was built on a mysterious "Them."

Edited by David Andrews

On please Doug, what with that shameless axe grinder Philip Nelson?  Who uses Penn Jones at his worst? Buying a property in Jamaica proves Connally's guilt? 

This is as bad as John Hankey.  Who Nelson reminds me of.

Connally never bought the official story at all, and he said it more than once. 

It was his testimony that the Southern Wing of the Commission--Boggs, Cooper and Russell--used to leverage changes in the report at that last meeting.  Which the Troika--Dulles, McCloy, and Ford--double crossed them at.  Since there was no official transcript made of it. And then, one by one, Russell, Cooper and Boggs began to denounce the WR. Cooper specifically used the Connally testimony for his denunciation.

Everyone knows that there was a dispute between the conservative Democrats in Texas like Connally and the liberal ones like Yarborough. That goes back to the beginnings of this case. But what is interesting is  how both Connally and Yarborough were witnesses who demonstrated there was a conspiracy in Dealey Plaza.The Commission then just plain ignored and/or discounted what they said.  Connally, IMO, destroyed the  Single Bullet Fantasy. Yarborough showed the directionality from the front when he said he smelled gunpowder.  You obviously could not smell it from the TSBD.

Put yourself in Connally's place as the bullets are hitting him and JFK.

I can't personally imagine the level of body shock and pain and brain thought panic.

You are hearing these booming gun shots, you then hear the President right behind you yell out in pain and panic  "My God I'm Hit" ( quote from Agent Roy Kellerman in his Warren Commission testimony) right as you yourself feel a two-by-four slam into your upper right back with accompanying lung collapse and burning bullet pain exploding throughout your body and into your wrist!

Yet, even in that five to six seconds of booming gun shot loud body ripping attack you still have the conscious ability to shout out.

And if the shout is not a scream of pain then perhaps it's the first traumatic shock thought that enters your brain.

I must wonder if in his panic, pain and shock but still conscious thoughts, when Connally shouted "they are going to kill us all" that he must have felt that "one man alone" couldn't have rained into the limo such a devastating barrage of bullet flying injury to both JFK and himself.

Connally knows that there are hundreds of security personnel all around, and can't fathom one man blowing up the inside of the Presidential limo with the lethal destruction force of a Thompson submachine gun.

Just a speculative real life thought and view on why Connally may have shouted the word "they" versus any other in his bullet blasted extreme pained/shocked mental state.

Edited by Joe Bauer

11 hours ago, Terry Adams said:

Connally's use of "They are going to kill us all,"  versus "he," is a common use of "They", at least in the South.  "They Said" is always stated as the good guys or the bad guys, "they" being the operative word!

I seem to remember Boss Hogg saying that...

Martin:

In Manchester's book, he describes this problem as simply Yarborough did not want to ride with Johnson. Simply because LBJ was identified with Connally,  and Yarborough was to the left of both men. Manchester goes on intermittently for about ten pages, from 123-134, about the problem being Yarborough.

In the following article, this is how it is posed https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/DC-Decoder/2013/1119/JFK-assassination-three-feuds-in-Dallas

Yarborough was so against riding with Johnson, that he was even going to ride with Henry Gonzalez.  As Manchester notes, Kennedy was intent that Yarborough would ride with Johnson.  Since this was one of the reasons for the Texas tour, to try and paper over the rift between liberal and conservative Democrats. As Manchester notes, Larry O'Brien essentially made Yarborough ride with LBJ.

Zirbel, in his self published and self marketed book The Texas Connection, somehow switched this around to the problem being that LBJ wanted to move Connally out of the Kennedy limo.  This got him a front page story in the National Enquirer.  Which I have never found all that credible on the JFK case.  But as I recall in reading his book, I could not find a source for this alleged LBJ/JFK argument over Connally.

If anyone has that book, and I am wrong, please correct me.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Yarborough vehemently denied to me (unconvincingly) that

Kennedy's Texas trip was partly to heal the rift between

him and the LBJ/Connally faction. But the evidence is to the contrary.

Edited by Joseph McBride

In Manchester's book, he makes it pretty clear that Kennedy wanted Yarborough to ride with LBJ for symbolic purposes.

He also writes that JFK had made this O'Brien's job, and Larry had to talk to Yarborough twice about it.  That's how opposed to it Ralph was.  And the second time, O'Brien all but said that this was what Kennedy wanted.

12 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

Martin:

In Manchester's book, he describes this problem as simply Yarborough did not want to ride with Johnson. Simply because LBJ was identified with Connally,  and Yarborough was to the left of both men. Manchester goes on intermittently for about ten pages, from 123-134, about the problem being Yarborough.

In the following article, this is how it is posed https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/DC-Decoder/2013/1119/JFK-assassination-three-feuds-in-Dallas

Yarborough was so against riding with Johnson, that he was even going to ride with Henry Gonzalez.  As Manchester notes, Kennedy was intent that Yarborough would ride with Johnson.  Since this was one of the reasons for the Texas tour, to try and paper over the rift between liberal and conservative Democrats. As Manchester notes, Larry O'Brien essentially made Yarborough ride with LBJ.

Good to have more facts on this