• Replies 18.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

Our Brit correspondent Chris wanted to be here to weigh in, because after all, as Chris has said he doesn't particularly care about the U.S. election result anyway.
Chris said: I don't think Biden's cognitive decline is related to that, he's one step away from going out for a walk and forgetting his way home.
Ok, I'll leave out any wisecrack about an aspiring marketing mogul being uniquely qualified to make a judgment about Joe Biden's declining cognitive abilities. And we can , as we say in the U.S.,stop beating the dead horse about both candidates being too old. Outside of a couple of other Trump supporters here , we'd all agree..
Check this out. I've always admired the the Brit's diction is more precise than the Americans. A sense of humor never hurts!

Or we can take a little more of a comparative analysis by experts, but after all they're just experts right? It was a concern for both candidates.Obviously it's a great concern if a very debilitating episode happens in public. Reagan was in decline from the beginning of his 8 year Presidency. But functionally, usually a crisis is dealt with internally with the President's appointed cabinet advising him. One unique problem however, with Trump is the extent of his non reliance on a cabinet. Will he realize an episode of the decline of his cognitive abilities and defer? There were many incidents of Trump getting angry and flying off the handle.Thank God, they didn't occur at  very critical times to say the National security.
I do think Trump damaged himself irreparably with his anger in the first debate, but he was also probably coming on to covid infection. Or  you could argue the spike in Biden's ratings after that debate were because he held his own.
 I absolutely shudder to think of Donald Trump at the helm, during the Cuban Missile Crisis!

But of course, too late now.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

First of all, I am glad that Biden won.  Whatever faults in his record, he is a decent man who will not pollute the political airwaves with flotsam as Trump did.  And although I do not like Harris very much, its good that a woman minority member is there as an exemplar. (But I will say, this would have all been over in 24 hours if not for the GOP legislatures who refused early counting of absentee ballots.)

But it bothers me that Biden did not win by a larger margin.  And in several states in the Rust Belt it was close, and in fact he lost Ohio.  This tells me that the whole GOP strategy of polarization had four years to work its alchemy and it did.  I really hope, but I do not think, that someone besides Perez will  run the DNC in order to try and stem that venom.  I think Beto would be good there, or maybe return Howard Dean.  The problem is, Biden owes a lot to Obama and Perez is Obama's guy.

One last point, something has to be done about polling.  I mean this is now twice in a row that major errors were made.  Trump's strength was seriously underestimated.

Edited by James DiEugenio

I completely agree Jim.  But I don't know if I trust Beto to run the DNC, and I wonder if he has the skill set. But it's true, he's not doing anything, and he probably should have been!

The Dems in the past have won when they have a dynamic younger looking figure. JFK, Clinton, Obama who promises change. Even Jimmy Carter was not a fossil, 51 when he was elected.

It was a disappointment  for the Dems with state legislatures and of course the Senate, where now their only hope is to win both sides of the elections in January in Georgia to just tie, and get the advantage through VP Kamala Harris.

The most positive thing you can say about Trump is he got people to become more informed and more  involved as citizens.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

47 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

Rudy: "Trump won't concede."

It's going to be like the end of Goldfinger, where we find out Trumpfinger didn't perish at Fort Knox, and is piloting Bond's escape plane.

hqdefault.jpg

Goldfinger:  I never lose, Mr. Bond.  That would be about as likely as a grown ass man being sucked through a tiny bullet hole in a jet fuselage!

Wheeler deserves an A for effort with his "statistical" play.

Biden got 6 flips -- Georgia, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona and Omaha.  I predicted them all.

Somebody ask Wheeler to contact me so I can tell him where to send my trophy...

They won't lift an actual finger for him in Arizona, because he acted like a sociopath when John McCain died.  Cindy still has influence.

Help in Michigan will be half-hearted.  He'll be perceived as a liability well rid of because of the Whitmer kidnap plot and his refusal to outright condemn it.

No contested presidential election has ever been won by the contestor.

Edited by David Andrews

Bob,

I know the RWers are all trying to say this is Florida 2000.  And I know they are hard at work manufacturing visuals and pics etc trying to say Gore was declared president etc.

The problem with this is that its a Rudy G rewrite of what happened.

Gore was originally declared the winner in Florida. Early in the night. Since the exit polls did not realize what Harris had done in expunging voters and what the state police were doing to keep them from the polls.  But that call changed during the night, before any  national announcement was made. Florida was then declared undecided.  Jack Welch, then called Fox News and pushed them to declare it for W. Which they did.  That started a bandwagon effect and W was declared the winner in Florida, and the election.  To the point that Gore called W and conceded.  Gore  was about to go on TV and concede in public.  But his Florida manager called him at the last minute and said, hold it, you are only down by 545 votes. Don't concede to the media.  So Gore then called W back and said he was retracting.  HIs Florida manager then told him to demand a recount.  As that recount began to show Gore was going to win, Scalia stepped in and stopped it.  The Supreme Court then made one of its worst decisions ever, right down there with Plessy v Ferguson and the Dred Scott case. And it was that decision, which Scalia himself called a POS, that appointed W to the presidency.  In an election he lost both in the popular vote and in the EC.

Believe me, I know all about what happened in Florida.  And so should you. What Jeb Bush did to get his brother elected should have put him and Harris in prison. And that would have saved the lives of 600,000 innocent Iraquis.

Hey what about a trophy for me? I got 49 out of 50!, and Biden at 291! The one miss is Georgia but that really hasn't been called yet, right? I just put Maine for Biden, I guess there's a split thing in Maine? Actually that is a pretty  good idea for all the states to do. It's more equitable, at least short of abolishing the electoral outright!

I see Wheeler with his calculations still wasn't aware of the "red mirage". That's what you get with one  sided sources. Everyone was warned for weeks. As Jim said, because some of the Republican state legislatures didn't let them count the early mail in ballots ahead of time. They counted them at the end, and everybody knew weeks in advance that the early mail in votes were largely for Biden! No amount of math and probability have anything to with it!  Trump himself, all but prohibited his voters from doing mail in ballots.   Hello!

election_map.png.4d68989a92371bfe6c44b064eca854bb.png

Everybody's out today!

Honestly, I'm almost bored of Joe Biden already. He'll talk about unity. I don't expect him to say anything he hasn't been saying..

But that's ok, I'm not so empty that I expect a promotional seminar everyday, telling me what to think,  who to love and who to hate, like I have everyday the last 4 years! It's been like a campaign year EVERY YEAR FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS!!!

But even then, so much of it was  publicly so stupid, just designed to relieve some  perpetual desperate boredom factor.

I'm more self sufficient, and for the whole of my life, I've  got along quite well without depending on a fix from some  politician every day. Thank You!

I'd be more happy with someone who took their job seriously  and just quietly went about doing it!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

21 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Everybody's out today!

Honestly, I'm almost bored of Joe Biden already. He'll talk about unity. I don't expect him to say anything he hasn't been saying..

But that's ok, I'm not so empty that I expect a promotional seminar everyday, telling me what to think,  who to love and who to hate, like I have everyday the last 4 years! It's been like a campaign year EVERY YEAR FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS!!!

But even then, so much of it was  publicly so stupid, just designed to relieve some  perpetual desperate boredom factor.

I'm more self sufficient, and for the whole of my life, I've  got along quite well without depending on a fix from some  politician every day. Thank You!

I'm with you, Kirk.  We all know Biden/Harris will be conciliatory and ask for closure around our shared values.  We won't have to watch/listen to someone running for re-election starting Jan. 21, 2021.  We won't have to watch as the most powerful person in the  world (purportedly) demeans and vilifies those who attempt to follow the law and the norms of government service without paying homage to the "King".  I truly do hope that for the sake of the future, Biden and the Democrats do seek to use the legal system to extract some measure of justice against those who have abused the systems of government they were charged with directing.  If no punishment is sought or brought about, these people and others of the same ilk will be back at it and with even more fervor almost immediately.  It will be a fine line since in our system, the losing party is generally not prosecuted.  In normal times this would only mean they be removed from power and influence, but under Trump, things went WAY BEYOND the norm all the way up to actual criminal activity which needs to be addressed.

Edited by Richard Price