• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Benjamin Cole

• Douglas Caddy

• W. Niederhut

• Steve Thomas

16 minutes ago, Matt Allison said:

Perhaps there is a legitimate concern the White House is not truly running Ukraine policies. It would not be the first time the intel state was very influential, or even dominant, in military matters. 

Some have reasonably posited there are elements within the national security community interested in regime change in Moscow.

Did ursine Moscow put its claws into a Deep State bear-trap? 

Who benefits from a prolonged Ukraine war (think arms sales) and loose talk of nuclear strikes (more heightened prominence for the Pentagon).  

This White House is opaque. In previous administrations, Woodward would write books describing the inner workings, of, say, the Obama military surge into Afghanistan. 

The Bush-Cheney story was fairly well known. 

So many people were disaffected by the Trump White House that there were insights to be had from books or articles they wrote. 

The Biden White House? A foggy cipher. 

So who is running Ukraine policy? Biden? Lloyd Austin? Klain? Blinken? Who controls the info, the narrative? 

We know during the Cuban Missile Crisis elements of the Deep State tried to provoke a wider war. 

Not today? 

BTW,  IMHO Putin is a war criminal. But that is a different question from who is running US policy presently. 

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

I went out to play golf for a few hours this afternoon and all hell broke loose here on our monster 56 Years thread!

So many things to think and talk about...

First of all, Mark Knight does sort of resemble his ancestor Robert the Bruce.

I can vouch for this because my wife and I saw the famous Robert the Bruce statue when we visited Stirling Castle in Scotland about 30 years ago.

Statue of Robert the Bruce outside Stirling Castle in Scotland Stock Photo  - Alamy

Meanwhile, Matt Allison and Kirk have acknowledged that their inherent pugnacity, thirst for justice, and admiration of the Kennedy family are most likely rooted in their Irish ancestry.

Perhaps I also have some Celtic genes, because I share those traits.  (FWIW, I used to have a red beard and freckles when I was a younger man, and I have a strange affection for Irish music and literature.)

Then there is the subject of whiskey, poteen, and beer!   

Personally, I prefer Scotch whiskey (Macallan, Glenfiddich, whatever is on sale) in the winter and beer in the summer.  Scottish Tennents lager is one of my favorites.  Guinness stout always gives me a headache.

I travelled Scotland's "Whiskey Trail" around Pitlochry in the Highlands in 1990.  Visited the Glenfiddich and Macallan distilleries, but the Macallan people weren't giving tours!

As for poteen, the second most difficult Irish song that I ever sang is the Humors of Whiskey.  Terrific song, but it requires the Irish gift of the gab to sing correctly.  (I won't post my own recording because I don't have an authentic Irish accent.)  

As for beer, our American sage, Benjamin Franklin, once said that, "Beer is the proof that God loves us," which is a great quote, especially considering that Franklin was an agnostic.

Glenlivet is smooth, though I've only ever had a few sips from a friend's flask.  Too expensive for me.  Kind of like Patron Tequila.  Two shots in Acuna on the Rio Grande before a passport was needed.   

Edited by Ron Bulman

6 hours ago, Mark Knight said:

Speaking of Irish heritage, my mother was a Turley. My 6th great-grandfather was John Turley II, born in 1670 in Newry, County Down, Ireland. My 18th great-grandfather on my mother's side was Robert I the Bruce [Roibert a Briuis], King of Scots (1274-1329). [He also shows up on my father's side of the family as my second great-uncle's great-uncle's wife's 11th grandfather.] Mom had always said that we were of Scotch-Irish ancestry, but she only knew that she was told that as a child. [So I became the amateur genealogist to track it down.]

I do know that now and again I like some whisky, while other times I prefer whiskey. And when I drink, I'd much rather sing than fight.

Fascinating!

9 hours ago, Matthew Koch said:

Hey guys, I'm not Irish but I have a Michael Collins tattoo, lols, does that count for anything? 
I love his story about starting his own IRA Counter Intelligence and Assassination Squad against the MI6 and I love how he dressed like a banker and rode a bicycle around to throw off the authorities looking for an IRA hooligan. Growing up loved stories about the American Revolutionaries fighting back against the British with guerrilla warfare and Michael Collins and the Squad did it in an urban environment pretty cool story. 

..anyways back to the culture war.. Looks like we're going to start calling him Senator Oz, I love how the corrupt moderator pretends like that was a sufficient answer. OMG, anyone who's honest can't justify voting for this guy without some serious mental gymnastics, I don't really like Oz but he's better than this guy. 

Matthew,

There are intriguing parallels between the killing of Michael Collins and the 1960s US political assassinations of JFK, MLK and RFK.

Was there an Anglo-American “deep state” modus operandi for such assassinations going back as far as 1922?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/who-killed-michael-collins-mystery-27745106

9 minutes ago, John Cotter said:

Matthew,

There are intriguing parallels between the killing of Michael Collins and the 1960s US political assassinations of JFK, MLK and RFK.

Was there an Anglo-American “deep state” modus operandi for such assassinations going back as far as 1922?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/who-killed-michael-collins-mystery-27745106

Can we throw Huey Long into the mix (1935) ? 

"Right-wing extremists already have a plan to literally steal the next Presidential election"--Hillary Clinton. 

Spooky. 

The nice thing is underground bunkers are good for both nuclear and civil wars.  So it's not that likely you will be wasting your money on construction. 

1 hour ago, Chris Barnard said:

I hadn't been aware of that before. It does look like another plutocratic hit job.

11 minutes ago, John Cotter said:

I hadn't been aware of that before. It does look like another plutocratic hit job.

Its another very fishy one. Am I right in saying that only two senators have been assassinated, both running for president? 

3 hours ago, John Cotter said:

Matthew,

John thank you for the link, I spotted some similarities ten years ago when I first started researching; an assassination followed by a war. It looks like that was the English plan all along, give back the poor part of the island and get the Irish to fight each other for it. The movie Michael Collins which is really good had a similar controversy to the movie JFK and was attacked while it was filmed and edited by the press/tv media. 

3 hours ago, Chris Barnard said:

I like his quote about fascism coming to America in the form of "Anti Fascism". Sure seems like that's what's happening on the left today. Like Max Boot says, if you don't vote correctly  the country will become fascist and we can't go to war with NATO against Russia and Putin. 
Have you ever checked out Styx he's a libertarian pundit I still get nerdy info from. He's got some interesting analytical political takes and he's very accurate following polls. He let the cat out of the bag for me that Liz Cheney was going to lose by 30+ points..

People here make fun of Herschel Walker for being dumb.. he's a lot smarter than Fetterman! 

Edited by Matthew Koch

Thomas L Friedman, who I admire for his being always right on vital issues, has a column in The New York Times today that could have been written by Jordan Peterson. Its title is "Putin is on to us."  I unable to provide a working link to the column but here are the first two paragraphs that give you the gist. My hope is that Biden and NATO leaders are well aware of Putin's strategy and have plans to foil its effectiveness. 

As the Russian Army continues to falter in Ukraine, the world is worrying that Vladimir Putin could use a tactical nuclear weapon. Maybe — but for now, I think Putin is assembling a different weapon. It’s an oil and gas bomb that he’s fusing right before our eyes and with our inadvertent help — and he could easily detonate it this winter.

If he does, it could send prices of home heating oil and gasoline into the stratosphere. The political fallout, Putin surely hopes, will divide the Western alliance and prompt many countries — including ours, where both MAGA Republicans and progressives are expressing concerns about the spiraling cost of the Ukraine conflict — to seek a dirty deal with the man in the Kremlin, pronto.

2 hours ago, Chris Barnard said:

Its another very fishy one. Am I right in saying that only two senators have been assassinated, both running for president? 

Senator Paul Wellstone died in a suspicious plane crash on October 25, 2002, shortly after he was directly threatened by Vice President Dick Cheney for opposing a U.S. invasion of Iraq.

Wellstone was on track to be re-elected to the U.S. Senate two weeks later, in November of 2002.

British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook also died under suspicious circumstances as I recall-- after opposing the Iraq War.

4 hours ago, Steve Thomas said:

Mehmet Oz, the Republican nominee for a U.S. Senate seat in Pennsylvania, said Tuesday that discussions about abortion access should be left to women, doctors and “local political leaders.”

Sure sounds like Communist Party block captains to me.

Steve Thomas

Steve,

It seems like a very short leap for Mehmet Oz to go from selling snake oil to selling Republican "policies."