The Education Forum

Olive Branches to Jeff Carter, & Robert Wheeler

3 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Yeah, that's the other one that makes me believe one of two things:

* Parsons wrote or at least cowrote Wild Horses and Honky Tonk Women when he was hanging around with the Stones.

* Richards is able to channel the Parsons sound at will - but why didn't he write more like this?  They are a lot different than other Stones country influenced songs -- Dear Doctor for example.  But Richards is really talented and liked Gram so he probably would have given him a writing credit.

If I ever see Chris Hillman, I'd like to hear his opinion.

Edited by Bill Fite

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Bill Fite said:

Yeah, that's the other one that makes me believe one of two things:

* Parsons wrote or at least cowrote Wild Horses and Honky Tonk Women when he was hanging around with the Stones.

* Richards is able to channel the Parsons sound at will - but why didn't he write more like this?  They are a lot different than other Stones country influenced songs -- Dear Doctor for example.  But Richards is really talented and liked Gram so he probably would have given him a writing credit.

If I ever see Chris Hillman, I'd like to hear his opinion.

In the recent Netflix documentary about the Rolling Stones' Latin American tour, Keith Richards talked at length about writing Honky Tonk Woman with Mick when they were both on vacation at a rural hacienda in Brazil back in the 60s.

Hard to believe that Keith would have invented that detailed anecdote.

So many Stones references recently.  I wanted to watch my favorite DVD, Hamptons Virginia 1981.  Missing remote, grandkids per wife on phone.  So I'll share from the internet.

And the staged Keith taking down the fan with his axe to save Mick amongst the balloons.  Going right back to playing, only missed a few notes.

• 2 weeks later...

Given the tragic events this month in Atlanta, Boulder, Virginia Beach, and elsewhere, here's a prescient punk/New Wave classic, written by David Byrne, with assistance on the French lyrics from fellow RISD alum Tina Weymouth.

(I was living in Providence in '77 when the Talking Heads released their first album.)