The Education Forum

Mary Pinchot Meyer

I just watched a TV special about her murder on YouTube. It was pretty interesting. The thing that set off red flags for me though was the mention of a Nash Rambler station wagon at the scene. Immediately my mind went to Roger Craig and seeing Oswald or an Oswald double running down and getting in the vehicle. Ruth Paine did own one apparently and at the station when confronted by Roger Craig, Oswald supposedly said something to the effect of "That belongs to Mrs. Paine, don't try to drag her into it!" Anyway, the only man who witnessed the murder of Mary Meyer was apparently a tow truck driver called to the scene for a disabled Nash Rambler. Within a minute or two of stepping out of his vehicle he hears her screams and goes to them and sees her murder. Apparently, according to the program, he said for years after that it was his belief that he was called to the scene to be a witness to the crime. Apparently the station wagon disappeared. Was never towed by him anyway. Not saying Ruth Paine was involved or that the vehicle Roger Craig saw was even the Paine vehicle, but if you subscribe to the theory that the CIA murdered her and the CIA also had a hand in the assassination, then the Nash Rambler station wagon is possibly a link between the two. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Edited by Jamey Flanagan

16 minutes ago, Jamey Flanagan said:

I just watched a TV special about her murder on YouTube. It was pretty interesting. The thing that set off red flags for me though was the mention of a Nash Rambler station wagon at the scene. Immediately my mind went to Roger Craig and seeing Oswald or an Oswald double running down and getting in the vehicle. Ruth Paine did own one apparently and at the station when confronted by Roger Craig, Oswald supposedly said something to the effect of "That belongs to Mrs. Paine, don't try to drag her into it!" Anyway, the only man who witnessed the murder of Mary Meyer was apparently a tow truck driver called to the scene for a disabled Nash Rambler. Within a minute or two of stepping out of his vehicle he hears her screams and goes to them and sees her murder. Apparently, according to the program, he said for years after that it was his belief that he was called to the scene to be a witness to the crime. Apparently the station wagon disappeared. Was never towed by him anyway. Not saying Ruth Paine was involved or that the vehicle Roger Craig saw was even the Paine vehicle, but if you subscribe to the theory that the CIA murdered her and the CIA also had a hand in the assassination, then the Nash Rambler station wagon is possibly a link between the two. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Peter Janney's book 'Mary's Mosaic" is well worth a read if you haven't already.  

And the car the tow truck driver was ordered to help....drove away and was not seen again?

And this phony rescue call event is documented? If the tow truck driver was the first on the scene, he would be the most questioned of any witnesses.

And the police would have found the quickly leaving and never identified distressed vehicle an incident worth investigating. If just for the simple reason of justifying the tow truck driver's stated presence reason at the murder scene.

Please. 

Edited by Joe Bauer

When the editor of the Washington Post Ben Bradlee and 2nd or 3rd highest ranking CIA man Angleton are literally physically bumbing into each other while sneaking into ( breaking into ) Mary Meyers digs looking for the same red diary...

This story and Mary Meyer herself are not of minor importance. 

A major A-list spy novel or film depicting these highest level intrigue plot action points elevates Mary Meyer to major importance interest.

Edited by Joe Bauer

7 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

When the editor of the Washington Post Ben Bradley and 2nd or 3rd highest ranking CIA man Angleton are literally physically bumbing into each other while sneaking into ( breaking into ) Mary Meyers digs looking for the same red diary...

This story and Mary Meyer herself are not of minor importance. 

A major A-list spy novel or film depicting these highest level intrigue plot action points elevates Mary Meyer to major importance interest.

Another interesting factoid that Peter Janney mentioned in Mary's Mosaic is that his father Wistar Janney and Ben Bradlee (Meyer's brother-in-law) talked about Mary Pinchot Meyer's murder well before the D.C. police had even gone public any report of her death-- something that Bradlee lied about in his memoir.

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Jim,

Interesting.  I read Mary's Mosaic several years ago, long before joining this forum, and had never read about Murder on the Towpath, or your review of Janney's book.

From what you wrote, it sounds like Janney was wrong to claim that his father, Wistar, and Ben Bradlee knew about Meyer's murder before it was ever reported by the police.  

Do you know whether Peter Janney was also wrong to claim that Ben Bradlee lied about the subject in his autobiography?  (I never read Bradlee's memoir.)

On 12/17/2020 at 7:44 PM, James DiEugenio said:

After reading the article you linked I’m left with wondering what you think of, or even if there was a relationship between JFK and Mary Pinchot? There is brief mention of it, and a confusing paragraph about Marilyn Monroe with a possibly misplaced modifier. Who was never at the WH - Monroe or Pinchot? I don’t question your examination of the legal case concerning Pinchot’s death, or of the very sloppy reporting. But the central questions are not really examined - what was their relationship? What was Angleton doing searching her place after her death? Or are you questioning that too? 

52 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

After reading the article you linked I’m left with wondering what you think of, or even if there was a relationship between JFK and Mary Pinchot? There is brief mention of it, and a confusing paragraph about Marilyn Monroe with a possibly misplaced modifier. Who was never at the WH - Monroe or Pinchot? I don’t question your examination of the legal case concerning Pinchot’s death, or of the very sloppy reporting. But the central questions are not really examined - what was their relationship? What was Angleton doing searching her place after her death? Or are you questioning that too? 

Did Angleton and Bradlee actually go so far as to commit the crime of trespassing on Meyer's little garden property and into her shed to find her dairy?

The editor of one of our nation's most influencial newspapers and the third highest agency man?  Even Ian Fleming would have a tough time setting up such a high level plot line in a believable way. 

If they did then Mary Meyer's importance elevates to a much higher level than the down playing role assigned to her, imo.

6 hours ago, Paul Brancato said:

Two related question questions.   

1) How did James Angleton even know that Mary Pinchot Meyer had a diary?  Was her phone being tapped?

2) Why was Angleton so interested in finding and confiscating the diary in her apartment on the day she died?

As for Mary's Mosaic, aside from Janney's improbable thesis about Meyer transforming JFK into a peacenik, etc., the most interesting thing about the book, for me, are Janney's firsthand accounts of his life as the son of a CIA exec who was a friend of Cord Meyer, Angleton, Bradlee, et.al.  Reading his chapter about Wistar Janney and Ben Bradlee on the day of the murder convinced me that Bradlee was, apparently, a CIA asset.  (Which first caused me to wonder about the origins of Watergate.)

Peter Janney was best friends with Mary Pinchot Meyer's son, and spent a lot of time around the Meyer family as a lad.  He later concluded, partly through direct conversations with his father, that his father and the CIA were complicit in her 1964 murder.

She was, in Janney's opinion, one many dead witnesses who knew too much about the JFK assassination and the Warren Commission.

(Coincidentally, another person who died around the time that the Warren Commission Report was published in the fall of 1964 was C.D. Jackson.)

Edited by W. Niederhut

C. D. Jackson, worth a thread of his own?  OSS, Mockingbird, The Zapruder film and exclusive rights to Marina's story, quite a coup.

C. D. Jackson (spartacus-educational.com)

Maybe worth a book, if you could find it.  I never knew he worked for Bernays in his youth (see the review's).

Amazon.com: CD JACKSON (9780761857297): Stern, John Allen: Books

Regarding a thread, Mr. Simkin thought so.

Charles Douglas Jackson and the Zapruder Film - JFK Assassination Debate - The Education Forum (ipbhost.com)

10 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

C. D. Jackson, worth a thread of his own?  OSS, Mockingbird, The Zapruder film and exclusive rights to Marina's story, quite a coup.

C. D. Jackson (spartacus-educational.com)

Maybe worth a book, if you could find it.  I never knew he worked for Bernays in his youth (see the review's).

Amazon.com: CD JACKSON (9780761857297): Stern, John Allen: Books

Regarding a thread, Mr. Simkin thought so.

Charles Douglas Jackson and the Zapruder Film - JFK Assassination Debate - The Education Forum (ipbhost.com)

Ron,

I could never find out much about C.D. Jackson's death, around the time that the Warren Commission Report was released, other than a statement that he had died of natural causes-- a heart attack, I think.  Could be true, but I wonder if he objected to some of the obvious BS in the WCR.

As for Mary Pinchot Meyer, I wonder if she knew too much about CIA activities relating to JFK's murder.  Did Angleton tap her phone and realize that she might go public with information he didn't want publicized?  Just a hypothesis.

There was, apparently, a fairly close-knit community of CIA families in the early 60s that included the (Cord) Meyers, Janneys, Angleton, Bradlees, and others.