The Education Forum

Presidential limousine almost came to a dead stop 11/22/63 (JFK assassination)

Bo Byers of the Houston Chronicle; Mary Woodward of the Dallas Morning News (who also said the shot came from the knoll) and presidential aide Dave Powers

Presidential limousine almost came to a dead stop 11/22/63 (JFK assassination) - YouTube

Is the following correct?  From wikipedia:

"There has been some controversy regarding the number of shots fired during the assassination. The Warren Commission concluded that three shots were fired.[40] The vast majority of witnesses claim to have heard three, but there are some witnesses who could recall only one or two shots. A few witnesses thought there were four or more shots. Of 178 witnesses whose evidence was compiled by the House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA), 132 reported hearing exactly three shots, 17 recalled hearing two, 7 said they heard two or three shots (total: 88%). A total of 6 people said they thought they heard four shots, and 9 said they were not sure how many shots they heard. Another 7 people said they thought they heard 1, 5, 6, or 8 shots."

I seem to recall more witnesses saying they heard more than 3 shots.  When I was surveying witness testimonies I did not concentrate on this issue since it had been done by others.  My survey of the shooting was done from a different perspective.  Where was the p. limo when the witness heard shots?

nothing really suspicious about limo coming to a stop. Greer was not experienced driver. normal human reaction when he was turning around to see the president was probably to take foot off the gas pedal or perhaps even apply brake when unexpectedly hearing shots. Shouldnt make a mountain out of this molehill

6 hours ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

nothing really suspicious about limo coming to a stop. Greer was not experienced driver. normal human reaction when he was turning around to see the president was probably to take foot off the gas pedal or perhaps even apply brake when unexpectedly hearing shots. Shouldnt make a mountain out of this molehill

Huh?

Greer was an experienced driver.  This is from Wikipedia on his history.

"After working for over a decade as a chauffeur and servant to several wealthy families in the Boston and New York areas, including the Lodge family and several years with a family in Dobbs Ferry, New York, Greer enlisted in the U.S. Navy in World War II, was assigned to the presidential yacht in May, 1944, was discharged on September 18, 1945 and joined the United States Secret Service on October 1, 1945."

This business of Greer slowing the vehicle was covered up by Dan Rather in the CBS tape.  Rather made the tape when his memory was still fresh.  According to him that was within an hour or some short period because he was in a hurry to return to the Z film bidding.  The local authorities, the FBI, and the Secret Service interviewed enough people on the 22nd to know that the slow down or stop had become a problem.  The Secret Service was at the showing of the Z film to potential bidders.  Rather was the only reporter there.  Rather may have been told to say that the vehicle did not stop.

It is my belief that the so-called extant film had been altered many times for various reasons.  Since we do not have the original it is up in the air as to what happened.

Edited by John Butler

If I remember correctly Rather repeated his statement three times. Did he stress that the limo did not stop every time? Its seems a remark without purpose( Apart from obfuscation). The evidence is very strong that it did stop. I believe it stopped and it looks plausible that Rather was told to say it didn't. 

7 minutes ago, Eddy Bainbridge said:

If I remember correctly Rather repeated his statement three times. Did he stress that the limo did not stop every time? Its seems a remark without purpose( Apart from obfuscation). The evidence is very strong that it did stop. I believe it stopped and it looks plausible that Rather was told to say it didn't. 

In the video of Dan Rather, around 4:30, Rather says "The car was moving all the time, the car never stopped."  This lines up with the extant film but goes against many witnesses who said the limo did in fact slow to a stop.

Thanks