The Education Forum

rare 1964 interview withy Ruby stripper Karen Carlin

No disrespect intended but one of more dramatically interesting backdrop aspects of the otherwise tragic JFK/Oswald/Ruby in Dallas historical event are the beautiful and not so beautiful women who were either directly involved or peripherally involved in the story imo.

The famous and directly involved Jackie Kennedy and Marina Oswald. Two stunningly beautiful women.

Ruth Paine, Marguerite Oswald, Nellie Connally, Jeanne de Mohrenschildt, Eva Rubestein Grant, Rose Cherami ( sad ) etc. ... maybe not so beautiful.

But then you have Jack Ruby's Carousel Club girls.   Une belle chose!

Not directly involved but definitely an important part of the story none-the-less. Interestingly so not just because of their close up one-on-one work connection to Oswald's killer and their revealing testimony regards him, but also in their incredibly hot and sexy physical beauty. A true if kitschy real life reflection of a notoriously swingin' and wide open early 1960's Dallas!

Just look at Karen "Little Lynn " Carlin in the above interview video - OMG! 

Same with Janet "Jada" Conforto and several other Carousel performers...Kathy Kaye, Candy Barr, etc.

Every time I see this interview of Karen Carlin, I can understand why so many Dallas residents knew of Jack Ruby and his Carousel Club and why it was so popular. Like Jim Marrs, if I was of age, single and living near Dallas in the early 1960's I am sure I would have popped in there from time to time myself.

Edited by Joe Bauer

13 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

Interesting, though brief, commentary on the culture of fear in Dallas in the aftermath of JFK's (and Oswald's) murder.

People were afraid to talk and, apparently, even afraid to rent apartments to anyone remotely connected to the assassination op.

34 minutes ago, W. Niederhut said:

Interesting, though brief, commentary on the culture of fear in Dallas in the aftermath of JFK's (and Oswald's) murder.

People were afraid to talk and, apparently, even afraid to rent apartments to anyone remotely connected to the assassination op.

Yes. I think a lot of people also did the "go along to get along" route.

5 hours ago, Vince Palamara said:

Yes. I think a lot of people also did the "go along to get along" route.

It's just my opinion, but I think a lot of people "went along" not to "get along" but to to stay alive.  From what I've read the tension over revealing what was seen/heard that did not tie in to the "official version" in Dallas was palpable and onerus.  The fear was powerful because no one seemed to know if it was coming from an unspecified group behind the assassination or from the actual officials in charge of the investigation (& if "they" were the people behind the assassination as well).  People who gave dissenting views or offered different views of what happened, whether it be to newsmen, police, FBI, etc. soon found themselves badgered into changing their testimony, followed, threatened or killed in "coincidental accidents" or murders.  No one in Dallas knew who to trust or which way to turn.  In other coincidental happenings, some who left Dallas for safety also were attacked or killed or had accidents.

2 hours ago, Richard Price said:

It's just my opinion, but I think a lot of people "went along" not to "get along" but to to stay alive.  From what I've read the tension over revealing what was seen/heard that did not tie in to the "official version" in Dallas was palpable and onerus.  The fear was powerful because no one seemed to know if it was coming from an unspecified group behind the assassination or from the actual officials in charge of the investigation (& if "they" were the people behind the assassination as well).  People who gave dissenting views or offered different views of what happened, whether it be to newsmen, police, FBI, etc. soon found themselves badgered into changing their testimony, followed, threatened or killed in "coincidental accidents" or murders.  No one in Dallas knew who to trust or which way to turn.  In other coincidental happenings, some who left Dallas for safety also were attacked or killed or had accidents.

True. The book Hit List is a compelling book on the subject of untimely deaths and "accidents."

Edited by Vince Palamara

Is the key line the last one?  "I don't really like to give my opinion of what I really believe".  In other words, I don't want to disappear, get run over, shot or be found floating in the river?  

8 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Is the key line the last one?  "I don't really like to give my opinion of what I really believe".  In other words, I don't want to disappear, get run over, shot or be found floating in the river?  

Of what she "really believed?"

Talk about an ominous reveal.

Carlin trashed Ruby in her Warren Commission testimony.

She more than hinted that she thought Ruby had homosexual tendencies.

She said he seemed very insecure in his masculinity.

She testified that Ruby made one pass at her but she shut that down quickly.

I read once that Carlin allowed herself to be an arm girl once or twice for at least one of Ruby's big out of town gangster types. Maybe even traveling to New Orleans once in this capacity?

Carlin knew much more about Ruby and his unsavory character friends imo.

She was really scared after all this happened.

She carried a gun and was reprimanded for this during Jack Ruby's murder trial

Yet, Carlin was also street wise savvy, even at her young age.

She had a serious dispute with a reportedly rough and tumble corrupt nightclub owner Pat Kirkwood after briefly working for him where she feared for her life. The name of his joint was "The Cellar." A beatnick themed club featuring scantilly clad cocktail girls and supposedly alcohol code skirting drinks.

This was the same club reportedly visited by some of JFK's Secret Service detail the night before 11,22,1963.

Edited by Joe Bauer

9 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Ron,

I think that last line, "I don't really like to give my opinion of what I really believe" is more a reflection of how women were trained to talk in those days. They were told that women were to be seen and not heard.

Steve Thomas

Add on:

There was was a concerted effort to tar those with skepticism about the JFK Assassination as lefties, likely Communist sympathizers. A career could founder in the 1960s if one was thought a communist.

See how Buckley suggests Mark Lane only wants to defend Oswald, as a fellow leftie.