The Education Forum

THE LATEST (JANUARY 2021) update on Angelos Leiloglou's 3D model of Dealey Plaza

Micah Mileto

I agree with Ben that there is other evidence, like Connally's statements, that more easily refutes the SBT. And because of that, there would normally be no need to create the model in this thread's video. Especially given its cost.

However, Dale Myer's cartoon is very impressive to watch for the average viewer. If this documentary is done well, I think it will blow the living daylights out of the Myers animation. Any positive opinion formed by Myers's animation can be undone with this one.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys should read about the advanced technology the modeler is using to take measurements from photos. It's called Photogrammetry and is discussed in this Wikipedia article.

According to the article,

There are many variants of photogrammetry. One example is the extraction of three-dimensional measurements from two-dimensional data (i.e. images)....

Which isn't surprising given that it's just applying math along with perspective to make measurements. I've done this manually numerous times myself in my work on the JFKA. It's a tedious and often mind-bending job. But these days the math is all done on a computer. I didn't know till now that there are computer programs and equipment for doing this type of work.

Also  notable in the Wikipedia article is a discussion on stereophotogrammetry, which is where measurements are made from a stereo scanner, which is one of the methods they used in making their model.

This is an impressive piece of modelling work which will allow to test all possible hypothetical scenarios of the shooting. I am not concerned about the exact location of the President and the Governor because the researchers clearly have a good understanding of all aspects of the modelling problem, and it is unlikely they would fit the two men to wrong locations.

Maybe unrelated to their work, my model of the Depository doorway and testing the locations of the doorway occupants based on fitting the model onto a historic photograph is a very similar approach. However, instead of using a laser scan of the doorway, I used an archictectonic model of the doorway that was based on real measurements of the doorway. I will contact Mark Johnson regarding the possibility of joining our efforts to verify my reconstruction of Darnell's and Altgens's doorways.

In case somebody would be interested in a 3D reconstruction of the Depository doorway in Altgens6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Hwt-cIGq4

Edited by Andrej Stancak

4 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

I agree with Ben that there is other evidence, like Connally's statements, that more easily refutes the SBT. And because of that, there would normally be no need to create the model in this thread's video. Especially given its cost.

However, Dale Myer's cartoon is very impressive to watch for the average viewer. If this documentary is done well, I think it will blow the living daylights out of the Myers animation. Any positive opinion formed by Myers's animation can be undone with this one.

I have agreed that this animation can be used for propaganda purposes. What I meant by that is that it can be used by CTs or CT-friendly media to counter Dale Myers' nonsense. My concern is that its presentation of JFK's and JBC's relative positions is in error. By having JFK in the wrong position it supports Myers' cartoon as opposed to refuting it. By having JBC in the wrong position it supports Myers in that he can now claim the animation is incorrect and that if only JBC was in the correct position everything would align, etc. 

It's just not true. 

17 minutes ago, Micah Mileto said:

Quite convinving in my view. Overlaying a model with the original photograph/frame is an ultimate proof of goodness of fit.  I have extensive experience with fitting my doorway models onto Altens6 and Darnell; it is exteremely punishing to try to overlay a wrong model onto the original photograph as the disparities between the two are for everyone to see. In contrast, if the model matches the original accurately, one can be sure that the model is an adequate fit of the original scene.

13 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

The criticism sounds like a bunch of sour grapes to me. With the exception of noting where the model is inaccurate in some way. These exceptions should be brought to the attention of the modeler as soon as possible so that he can make correction.

It's not sour grapes if you're referring to me.

Are they correctable? The position of the seats? The torsos? Deflection of the projectile? I think these are good to describe a theory and possibly to refute or confirm Meyer's animation, but he concludes his effort to say he's established it as fact and I'm skeptical. I think they can get a nuts-on creation of the terrain and buildings but the position of the vehicles? I dunno.

I applaud the effort to be sure and am definitely interested in the results.

7 hours ago, Pat Speer said:

Myers' nonsense. My concern is that its presentation of JFK's and JBC's relative positions is in error.

The video showing Leiloglou's model includes clips from somebody else's animation. (Dale Myers's?) I'll bet that your complaint pertains to that animation.

If you look at the link Micah posted, you will see that JFK and Connally are positioned correctly in Leiloglou's model.

I don't know if this is copium or not, but it really does seem unlikely that the margin of error on Connally could account for the Single Bullet Theory being possible. The trajectory shows a multiple inch difference, not just a couple centimeters.

Edited by Micah Mileto

On 12/31/2022 at 10:42 PM, Micah Mileto said:

I don't know if this is copium or not, but it really does seem unlikely that the margin of error on Connally could account for the Single Bullet Theory being possible. The trajectory shows a multiple inch difference, not just a couple centimeters.

Yes there is a large margin. Connally's face sheet shows the entry 7.5 inches from the spine. Assuming J.C. was sitting 7 inches inboard of JFK the entry would be at the spine. So I assume we have to account for 7.5 inches of lateral movement for the bullet to line up with his entry wound. Testing a 30 rotation combined with a 10 degree rearward lean I find it only accounts for 4 inches of the 7.5 needed. But there are some unknowns I can't pin down.
  Usually we assume the limo aligned with the direction of the lane marker next to the limo. But if Greer was starting to point the limo towards the next set of marker he could be facing a degree or two left. Secondly, J.C. might have shifted slightly to his left as he positioned himself to turn around. Third, I have heard the distance between JFK's neck exit and J.C.'s entry as being either 30 or 36 inches. Both JFK and J.C. could have been 3 inches forward or backward at the moment of the shot. The 6 inch difference changes the entry by one inch. finally I don't know if J.C. was 6 or 7 or 8 inches inboard from JFK.
 These slight changes are near impossible to measure from the Z film. They could make a total difference of about 5 inches. The basic 30 degree turn gives 4 or 5 inches of the 7.5 inches needed. 
   If J.C. was sitting more than 8 inches inboard and he shifted left a bit as he prepared to turn, and if the distance between JFK and J.C was 30 inches then the shot could feasibly line up. Including the limo direction there are 4 unknowns, 2 or 3 of them would be enough to make the shot possible. I don't personally buy the SBT but I think the trajectory may line up.
Below are some overexposed frames of J.C. that show the coat pretty well. I think the entry location looks too close to the armpit and needs to go inboard about 2 inches.

Edited by Chris Bristow

This is just what Pat is complaining about.

Myers got the measurements wrong inside the limousine about how inboard that jump seat was.

And JFK was not hugging the right side of the car either.  And anyone can see this in the complete version of Zapruder as the car disappears behind the sign.

Somebody should make a stabalized gif of z170-195 where you can tell the difference between Kennedy's body movements and the camera shaking - because I can't tell the difference, I've just heard others (including a scientific study and the hsca) say they think Kennedy reacted oddly at this time.

Edited by Micah Mileto

On 12/30/2022 at 11:47 AM, Bob Ness said:

Yeah, the problem is with any of these recreations it's very difficult to establish any certainty. It's great they're creating the models and I think the point clouds are accurate and all which is great for a historical record but there are so many variables in the end I think they'll only be able to demonstrate probabilities rather than make any conclusions. Myer's "proof" is ridiculous of course, as anyone in the field would likely point out. I don't even know whether they can accurately establish when the shots were fired which could introduce a large error from a difference of a fraction of a second. It's tempting to say work backwards from a conclusion and see if it agrees with the data but that has problems also. 

What they're using now I tried to develop in 1994 or so (when Windows was known as Chicago) as an as-built system for large and technical construction projects (biotech, hospitals etc). The project was called Attic (archive) and unfortunately predated the capabilities of the time. It's interesting to see someone try their hand at it in almost exactly the same way. Frankly, when I do architectural/design pre-viz stuff today I still find inaccuracies after I went out with a tape and measured the damn thing hahaha.

This type of effort is a good way to explain a theory and I applaud the effort but remain skeptical regardless of the result. Myer's conclusion is ridiculously advanced as proof but is over-baked methinks.

Bye

Edited by Lance Payette