The Education Forum

Ted Callaway & The 1:15 Shooting

1 hour ago, Tony Rose said:

Right off the bat, Carrol doesn't know who he took the pistol from.  How does that link it to Oswald?

Allegations of a planted revolver aside, the problem is that the post-arrest chain of custody of the revolver is convoluted to the point of being suspicious as all hell. There are a lot of things on which I don’t agree with David Josephs, but he did a great job on this topic in the following essay, starting on page 16: 

https://www.kennedysandking.com/images/pdf/JosephsPistol.pdf

There are a couple additional things worth mentioning:

1) Bentley’s initials (but only Bentley’s initials) are visible in the archive catalog photos of CE 143.

2) NARA has officially agreed to take new catalog photos showing all the initials on the gun. This came about through a request I made through the Special Access branch about a month or so ago. I will believe it when I see the photos, but NARA is now on the record saying it’s happening. 

I read Josephs’ essay a while ago but didn’t remember it. The evidence form with Davenport having the pistol and shells in his possession at 3:30 is mind-boggling. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one Tom. I thought that was one of David's best.

Between the fact that there is no 302 from REA, and the chain of custody problems afterwards, i mean whew.

On 7/21/2022 at 8:28 AM, Gil Jesus said:

I would say so. Calloway was consistent with his BS story while Markham's changed every half an hour.

Callaway's BS story was not consistent. He changed the fugitive's weapon from an automatic to a revolver. He also described two different routes only 11 days apart for the cab chase in which he claimed to participate.

On 7/20/2022 at 6:08 PM, Gil Jesus said:

Personally, I don't think either one of these men saw the killer. Callaway's story that he confronted an armed man heading his way after he heard five shots is as good a BS story as I've ever heard. Additionally, that he was supposedly unarmed is even crazier. He didn't grow balls until he had Tippit's gun in his hands. I'm sure that both these guys saw the killer coming their way and took cover between the cars in the lot.

First, Callaway didn't say he "confronted" the gunman.

Second, Callaway explained that at first, he believed the man was law enforcement or security.  This is what was in his mind when he hollered at the man from across the street, asking him what was going on.  No "balls" required.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:37 PM, Joseph McBride said:

An FBI document says Oswald was never

arraigned for the murder of JFK, only

for the murder of Tippit, although he

was charged with both murders.

And a point about Calloway -- his

escapade taking Tippit's service

weapon and joyriding with it broke

the chain of custody on that particular

gun.

Of what significance is the chain of custody for Tippit's service revolver?

On 7/19/2022 at 7:14 AM, Gil Jesus said:

When the shooting occurred, Scoggins bailed out of his cab like a scared rabbit and was lying next to it in the street. He never saw the killer's face and that's why he picked the wrong picture.

Do you still stand by your claim that Scoggins was actually lying in the street?  You use the claim as a crutch to support your idea that he never saw the killer's face.  I've never seen anything anywhere saying that Scoggins was actually lying down in the street.  Since you're using it (lying in the street beside the cab) as a crutch for your claim (that he never saw the killer's face), it matters.  Where did you get it from?

On 7/21/2022 at 4:42 PM, Joseph McBride said:

n that post, I must have erred on adding Fritz to Wade being involved in the Adams

case, sorry and thanks, Steve, but later DA Watkins found about 300 cases

worth investigating in which Wade was dubiously

involved and cleared about 30 of the convicted

people before the voters kicked him out of the office.

Errol Morris found the evidence in Wade's files

after Wade let him rummage through them. That

is what led to exonerating Randall Dale Adams

of his false conviction for a cop-killing.

Correction noted. Thanks for being honest. 

Disruptive threads often use a tactic called "sealioning" to derail discussions of important but contentious issues, with the intent of provoking emotional responses or manipulating others’ perception. The term originated in an online comic by cartoonist David Malki, where a sea lion acrimoniously follows someone around - asking for sources, evidence and explanations for their opinion - all while loudly demanding a reasonable discussion. The sealioner makes relentless demands for answers and evidence.  For more about this tactic, see the essays in the collection "Perspectives on Harmful Speech Online", published by the Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard.

Sea Lion Comic.png

LOL. ROTF, great one Gene.

The Harvard essays characterize as follows:

Rhetorically, sealioning fuses persistent questioning — often about basic information, information on easily found elsewhere, or unrelated or tangential points — with a loudly-insisted-upon commitment to reasonable debate. It disguises itself as a sincere attempt to learn and communicate. Sealioning thus works both to exhaust a target’s patience, attention, and communicative effort, and to portray the target as unreasonable. While the questions of the “sea lion” may seem innocent, they’re intended maliciously and have harmful consequences.

Gene:

Thanks so much for that. I had no idea it was such a written about and examined phenomenon.

That cartoon strip is beyond good, its memorable.

Paul:

Totally agree.  Talk about pinning the tail on the donkey. 

Edited by James DiEugenio