The Education Forum

They want to "redesign" Dealey Plaza.

Hurry up download & save this.  I think this is a horrible idea and must be stopped.  I think it's insulting and a travesty.

They are going to present this at the 6th Floor Museum, ( well, where else? ) on Tuesday Nov 15th at 6:30 p.m. 

See - https://interactives.dallasnews.com/2022/designers-reimagine-site-of-jfk-assassination-triple-underpass-in-downtown-dallas/?fbclid=IwAR3p6lhugHBZlHsCzQv1f3m4ufdUgKmQQ70bTk1K2bpO0kkm5zpwQuWEC1o

Joe 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The presentation of this is on Tuesday. Do everything you can to stop this project from happening.

Learn everything you can about these people.  

Reimagine Dealey Plaza and the Triple Underpass

Tuesday, November 15 at 6:30 p.m.

Please join The Dallas Morning News and The Sixth Floor Museum for a presentation and panel discussion of a plan to reimagine Dealey Plaza and the Triple Underpass into a space for memory linking downtown, Martyr’s Park, and the Trinity riverfront.

Participants:
Mark Lamster, Architecture Critic of The Dallas Morning News (moderator)
Jerry Hawkins, Director, Dallas Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation (TRHT)
Nicola Longford, Director, Sixth Floor Museum
Chris Reed, Stoss Landscape Urbanism & the Harvard Graduate School of Design
Monica Ponce de Leon, MPdL Studio & Dean, Princeton School of Architecture

In person event

Where: The Dallas Morning News

When: Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Time: 6:30 p.m.

RSVP is required

They create a walkway and eliminate a lot of parking space behind the GK.  You can't see the corner with the trees but the picket fences does not extend from them towards the railroad tracks.   If you read the article, I'm sure they would love to eliminate the entire fence, the whole concept of the Grassy Knoll. 

Do you see the sidewalk under the tracks leading to a walkway circling to an observation overlook.  Over the railroad tracks, with trees growing on it?  Ridiculous. 

Those tawdry x's.   

3 hours ago, Joseph Backes said:

Hurry up download & save this.  I think this is a horrible idea and must be stopped.  I think it's insulting and a travesty.

They are going to present this at the 6th Floor Museum, ( well, where else? ) on Tuesday Nov 15th at 6:30 p.m. 

See - http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2022/designers-reimagine-site-of-jfk-assassination-triple-underpass-in-downtown-dallas

I don't think it's such a terrible idea. I kind of like some of the things that have been proposed.

Based on the various artist renderings of the proposed redesign of Dealey Plaza (seen below), it appears as though pretty much all of the familiar Dealey Plaza landmarks that are associated with the assassination will remain intact and untouched, such as Zapruder's pedestal, the pergolas, the peristyles, the George Dealey statue, the Grassy Knoll slopes, the TSBD Building, and the streets (except for Houston Street, which would have its surface changed in order to "calm traffic", which I assume would also make it a "quieter" street).

In the first rendered image below, I can't tell whether the famous picket fence on the Knoll is still there or not. Perhaps it is. So maybe even that familiar landmark wouldn't have to be disturbed either.

I think the idea of the "Memorial Promenade and Overlook" is a good one. And since the proposed location for such a Promenade would be well behind the area of the Grassy Knoll and original Plaza pergolas, I don't see why even the Dealey Plaza purists would complain about it too much. It would be located in the parking lot area behind the Grassy Knoll. No big loss there.

One major change in the proposed redesign is that Elm Street would be closed to all vehicle traffic entirely. Only pedestrian traffic would be permitted on Elm, which would certainly make things safer for tourists, who currently can't resist dashing in and out of traffic to have their pictures taken while standing on the X in the middle of Elm Street.

I'm not all that keen on the idea of the two "pools" that would be placed along Elm Street to mark the exact locations where JFK was hit by bullets. In the article about the proposed redesign, the author says that the current X's in the street are "tawdry" symbols to mark JFK's death. Well, the proposed "pools" aren't much better on the "tawdry" scale, in my opinion.

houston-striping__2048.webp

amphitheater__2048.webp

lighting-program__2048.webp

banner-1-4836a3d7.avif

Edited by David Von Pein

No one goes to martyrs park cos there are no buildings over there to go to or come from. This project isn't going to change that. The only people that visit martyrs park are probably jfk assassination researchers examining the various views from there such as where the Daniels footage was taken or viewing Ed Hoffman's viewing angle, or where Tilson came down the embankment.

When I first went to Dealey Plaza and met Penn Jones on the twentieth anniversary of the assassination, I asked him

if he was also going to the (empty and sterile and insulting) Dallas monument that day. He said no,

because "The holy ground is where the martyr falls."

1 hour ago, Joseph Backes said:

See - https://interactives.dallasnews.com/2022/designers-reimagine-site-of-jfk-assassination-triple-underpass-in-downtown-dallas/?fbclid=IwAR3p6lhugHBZlHsCzQv1f3m4ufdUgKmQQ70bTk1K2bpO0kkm5zpwQuWEC1o

Joe 

It's Orwellian.

Let's "transform Dealey Plaza into a space for memory," by erasing the memory of the space?

Edited by W. Niederhut