The Education Forum

Merry Christmas

Ron Bulman

4 hours ago, John Cotter said:

Merry Christmas to Denny, the other contributors to this thread and all EF members. Since JFK’s paternal ancestors’ home was in County Wexford, the Wexford Carol might be appropriate:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+wexford+carol&tbm=vid&sxsrf=ALiCzsZ6yAyEKphnZdJZZ9bIRn80RzpgEQ:1671899514520&ei=eimnY_y1H5PdgQbHy4Ew&start=10&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwj82qaF15L8AhWTbsAKHcdlAAYQ8NMDegQIDhAW&biw=1043&bih=421&dpr=3#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:111bbf35,vid:wLqkqHfLklQ

John, I can't get your link to work.  For a few seconds 3 versions pop up on the left then it goes to a white screen.  I've never heard the song before.  Started to google it but I'm not sure which version you were recommending.

Merry Christmas, Ron

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Well done, Denny!  Any friend of doggerel verse is a friend of mine.

As for Christmas music, I like everything from Medieval chant to Palestrina, Bach, and Handel to Ella Fitzgerald, Satchmo, and Sting.

My ultimate favorites are probably John Eliot Gardiner's ethereal recording of Handel's Messiah, with the English Baroque Soloists, and Anglican carols by Sir David Willcocks and the King's College Choir at Cambridge.

Here's King's College Choir performing a Medieval English Christmas carol, Myn Lyking, with a melody by the late English composer, Sir Richard Runciman Terry.

It's what Bruce Springsteen would call, "a little bit of heaven here on Earth."

Here in the olde country Christmas Eve tv has screened an hour or so of 'Carols from King's, in the candlelit Chapel of King's College Cambridge.  Vaughan Williams' Fantasia a highlight.

I was able to visit this place just a couple of years back, it really is an amazing building, tall stained glass windows and a superb 15thC hammer beamed roof.  It was about the only positive contribution by the catatonic King Henry VI, although being built in the middle of the 'wars of the Roses' it wasn't completed until King Richard III gifted a grant of £300 to complete the work in 1484.  Strangely, Henry was bumped off in 1471 in the Tower of London, coincidentally on the night that Richard just happened to call by.  Forget JFK, Richard must be the father of all conspiracy theories.

Christmas greets to all and best wishes for 2023.

24 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

John, I can't get your link to work.  For a few seconds 3 versions pop up on the left then it goes to a white screen.  I've never heard the song before.  Started to google it but I'm not sure which version you were recommending.

Merry Christmas, Ron

Ron, Google 'Swift Return-The Wexford Carol' on You Tube.

John's link works for me.

15 minutes ago, Pete Mellor said:

Ron, Google 'Swift Return-The Wexford Carol' on You Tube.

John's link works for me.

Thanks for that Pete.

Well, it got above freezing today, 34, no below or near zero chill factor, still pretty chilly though.  So, we had home-made chili for Christmas eve.  No ground beef, and definitely, absolutely, positively, No Beans.  Grandkids are in bed, time to start assembling things.      

How do you make chili with no ground beef and no beans?

I was talking with my friend who is in his late 60's and he was telling me about how when he was a kid they used to sing Khruchev the bald heading Russian on the bus. 

Anyone else old enough to remember this song? 

Kruschev The Bald Headed Russian
(To the tune of "Rudolph the Red-Nosed-Reindeer")

Kruschev the bald-headed Russian
Had a very shiny head.
And if you ever saw it,
You would even say it's red.
All of the other Russians,
Used to laugh and call him names.
They never let poor Kruschev
Join in any Russian games.
Then one foggy launching night,
The Russians came to say:
"Kruschev with your head so bright,
Won't you guide our sa-tel-lite?"
Then how the Russians loved him,
And they shouted out with glee,
"Kruschev the bald-headed Russian,
You'll go down in hi-sto-ry!"

Merry Christmas Everyone! 
¡Feliz Noche Buena Amigos!
Edited by Matthew Koch

We are one!

200-300 million years ago.

But how far China from Australia?

Good will to all beings!

Pangea

4-3.jpg

4-3.jpg

We are one!

200-300 million years ago.

But how far China from Australia?

Good will to all beings.

3 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

How do you make chili with no ground beef and no beans?

With the price of beef these days I start with chuck roast stew meat, used to be thin sliced round steak.  Cut into 1/2" or less pieces.  Slice onion to slightly smaller bits.  Get a box of Wick-Fowler False Alarm.  Add fresh ground pepper to meat and knead.  Follow instructions about water, ingredients, etc.  Ignore instructions about skillet and 30 minutes.  Cook in crock pot four hours.  Top with reserved chopped onion, shredded cheddar and crushed crackers.

As for the beans.  I love them on the side.  Pintos with bacon, onion and jalapenos. 

But Beans in it?  It is I guess a Texas thing, back to the original Wolf brand and the bricks of the 1800's.  A modernized version of an older song that tries to explain it.

Edited by Ron Bulman