The Education Forum

Spectacular Glenn Greenwald Follow-on to Tucker Carlson

On 12/28/2022 at 5:54 AM, Benjamin Cole said:

Spectacular follow-on by Glenn Greenwald re Tucker Carlson. 

Greenwald sharply criticizes Senate Republicans, Pompeo, neo-cons, Liz and Dick Cheney, and Trump, and explains government secrecy. He posits the JFKA records played a role in the second Trump impeachment. 

In other words, Greenwald drags his partisan politics into the JFK case. Gee, who was president from 2008-2016? What was his name again? I'm fairly certain he was a liberal Democrat named Barack Obama, right? And, umm, who had huge majorities in Congress from 2008-2010? Did Greenwald sharply criticize Obama and the 2008-2010 Congressional Democrats for doing absolutely nothing to release those JFK assassination records?

On 12/28/2022 at 5:54 AM, Benjamin Cole said:

He posits the JFKA records played a role in the second Trump impeachment. 

I think that's ridiculous.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Michael Griffith said:

In other words, Greenwald drags his partisan politics into the JFK case. Gee, who was president from 2008-2016? What was his name again? I'm fairly certain he was a liberal Democrat named Barack Obama, right? And, umm, who had huge majorities in Congress from 2008-2010? Did Greenwald sharply criticize Obama and the 2008-2010 Congressional Democrats for doing absolutely nothing to release those JFK assassination records?

I think that's ridiculous.

Greenwald is no fan of the current Democratic Party, which he regards as merely a grifter-corporatist outfit operating under the Donk banner (pretty much my view too). 

As for the JFKA records playing a role in the second impeachment...it's possible. 

Consider how Biden has completely capitulated. Why would Biden so abjectly capitulate?

Making the JFKA records open seems to cross a redline in establishment DC. 

24 minutes ago, Lawrence Schnapf said:

technically the president's certification. others made the decision for him. we basically had a manchurian candidate for the four postponements since 2017. 

Well, okay, that may be. 

But both Biden and Trump were smart grown adults who wanted the job, and accepted attached responsibilities to the public, whatever we think of their personal foibles or political positions.  

If the media simply gives a pass to Biden and Paul Nakasone (and Trump before), as they are Manchurian candidates....seems like a dead end. 

Ben, Is there anywhere on this forum you won't go to push your partisan politics?

Does Larry hype our getting Amy Klobuchar writing a letter to release all files as "spectacular" even though it's 100 times more significant?

You can't see that the battle is more than just repetitively pushing your talking points, preaching to the converted in your own echo chamber?

I'm not saying this isn't significant. Since he's made open government a focus in his career. I would have liked him getting on the JFKA 15 years ago. But you take it when you can get it.

i think the most significant thing he said was his story about receiving the Snowden files and all the junk in it that was insignificant and should never have been classified  but then we don't' know the level of classification of each of those files. But it's pretty apparent that no one will get around to declassifying files unless they're made to do so, and of course that sucks.

I've heard Glenn is leaving his journalistic career to become head of the RNC. It's long overdue.

So this is what journalists do?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FkePFWHWYAIMHjc?format=jpg&name=medium

Trump *talks* about doing many things like this. He *does* few of them. We'll see over the next 2 weeks how much transparency and accountability he is willing to impose on the Big, Bad Deep State by issuing -- rather than chatting about -- pardons and declassification orders.

Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸

@JackPosobiec
·
Jan 5, 2021
Trump talking about firing everyone right now. Wray, Gina, etc. And wants to declassify everything - UFOs, JFK, all of it

The fact that enormous numbers of documents regarding the JFK assassination -- from almost *60 years ago* -- remain classified, and people are generally fine with that and unquestioning of it, is quite alarming, and a sign of how much power the CIA exerts in Washington.

---30---

Interesting tweets by Greenwald. A rare detached journalist, not aligned with either party. 

Does Greenwald every make mistakes, especially in hindsight? Of course.

I may be wrong  but Greenwald strikes me as a heck to both houses LIbertarian.

Edited by James DiEugenio

7 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

I may be wrong  but Greenwald strikes me as a hack to both houses LIbertarian.

Greenwald may be impossible to classify.

He certainly deeply distrusts the US intel state, a valid position and one that makes a him valuable reporter (and a sharp contrast to 99% of the US reporters, who are aligned with the Donk or 'Phant parties).

My take on modern media is that in many regards it has regressed to the old machine-politics days.

The media has become mouthpieces of the two major political parties, both of which have devolved into collections of special and corporatist (multinational) interests. Unfortunately, both parties have aligned themselves with, or been coopted by, the national security state. Which also defines the bulk of US media---Pentagon mouthpieces. 

Greenwald, Taibbi, Kim Iversen, some Intercept reporters, Breaking Points, The Hill and a smattering of other reporters and organizations appear mostly independent. 

• 2 weeks later...

And her  is another one.  I think she has about a half million followers.

Benjamin, just as I have long found Republicans

childish when they refer to the "Democrat" party,

I find your rhetoric offputting when you

use derisive nicknames for the two

major parties. It seems like schoolyard

taunting. You have a lot to say that's

valuable, but you taint it with this kind

of rhetoric.

3 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

And her  is another one.  I think she has about a half million followers.

And another follow, from Breaking Points, a very good independent new outlet. 

\\

An unsettling thought:

Almost the entire small cadre of independent journalists rely on Youtube and Twitter to get their views out there. Substack too.

But YouTube and Twitter can and have shut down independent journalists before. 

Twitter might be "safe" for now, but who knows? Musk is doing heavy business in China.

Youtube is gamble also. 

But for now, some good reporting going on. 

Edited by Benjamin Cole

Just now, Joseph McBride said:

Benjamin, just as I have long found Republicans

childish when they refer to the "Democrat" party,

I find your rhetoric offputting when you

use derisive nicknames for the two

major parties. It seems like schoolyard

taunting. You have a lot to say that's

valuable, but you taint it with this kind

of rhetoric.

JM-

Well....really?

These two parties have devolved into self-mockery and debasement beyond the meager powers of the English language to capture. 

My pet terms seem a bit mild to the task. 

Think of Eisenhower or JFK. Eisenhower's farewell speech. Many of JFK's speeches. 

Then think of Trump, HRC, Biden, McConnell. Petty grifters and warmongers, party hacks. 

"Donks" and "Phants" may be too kind. 

Please indulge me. Surely I commit a minor sin. 

4 hours ago, Joseph McBride said:

Benjamin, I like your approach to almost

everything but this use of language. I simply tune out when

I read taunts. There are too many of those

in JFK research, which is, or should be,

a serious area.

Not to pile on, I agree. Ben? It’d be one thing if you used those words occasionally to make a sarcastic point, but as a regular habit it puts me off too. It’s a false equivalence in my view.