The Education Forum

Jeff Morley: There Was A Conspiracy...But By Who?

Testing Bill Simmons' JFK Theory

A simple empirical way to determine who's right about the Dallas ambush

MAR 10

PREVIEW
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F2651f285-5b04-4af0-90c9-6e545717fcaf_558x706.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack.com%2Ficon%2FLuci

SAVE

“I have followed a JFK assassination substack that has renewed my interest in the JFK” story, sportwriter Bill Simmons told Chuck Klosterman on his podcast last week. Although he didn’t know my name, Simmons was talking about my reporting on JFK Facts.

“This guy went through and he made a pretty compelling case [about JFK files] about which ones have been redacted and not released and they’re all related to the CIA. And I am more convinced than ever that the CIA killed JFK.”

I believe Simmons is referring to my piece, “Yes, There Is a Smoking Gun,”and to my Dec. 6, 2022 presentation at the National Press Club in Washington D.C. (Watch it here.)

Bill Simmons  
Bill Simmons, JFK scholar

I appreciate his interest (and his subscription) but I must disagree slightly.

I am not “more convinced than ever” that the CIA killed JFK. On the causes of November 22, I’m with Harry Truman, Jackie Kennedy, RFK, and Fidel Castro. I think the president was killed by his enemies in his own government who had the ability to make the crime look like something else. That’s not the same as saying there was a CIA plot. If there was a conspiracy, non-CIA personnel might have been involved or even in charge...

2 hours ago, Michael Crane said:

Might not have been the CIA as a whole... but renegade elements within the CIA IMO.

Deep State.

IMHO, that is what happened...and then a ton of complicity in the cover-up. 

There is no ruling out that rogue elements, CIA-connected (possibly Cuban exiles, American mercenaries) did the deed, either unilaterally or with tacit unspoken approval from above.

Or that the CIA used the mafia-types as the actual gunsels, the typical cut-out routine. 

That is why full release of the JFK records is a minimum....

But if Jeff Morley says he is not sure...then I am not sure either....

I can't get past John Newman's belief that Jim Angleton was the 'general manager' of Oswald's handlers.

Consider this:-On May 23rd 1963 Angleton sent a 27 page document to many U.S. agencies.  It was titled 'Cuban Control & Action Capabilities'.  In this document Angleton stated, "An American citizen can enter Mexico with a tourist card, not even a passport, and obtain a separate visa to Cuba from the Cuban consulate in Mexico City.  He can go to Cuba and return supplied with a new tourist card obtained in Cuba without any indication that he has ever been there."

Sound familiar?

Isn't that just what the supposed Oswald was supposed to attempt four months later in late September '63?

We know from HSCA testimony that Angleton's staff member Ann Egerter opened Oswald's 201 file in December 1960.

We know from testimony of Mr. & Mrs. Wilmott that Oswald served CIA specifically as a double agent in the Soviet Union.  As Elsie Wilmott said, "Right after the President was killed people in the Tokyo station were talking openly about Oswald having gone to Russia for CIA.

Whoever were the handlers or manipulators of Oswald, be they DeMohrenschildt, Phillips or Paine's (I don't necessarily agree with all 3) as I stated above, I seriously consider Angleton their general manager.  We may never know the fundamental force that decided to eliminate Kennedy, but Angleton was certainly to my mind, the Agency mover.  No one else had the access, authority, freedom of movement and unaudited finances, along with the devious mind to manage this sophisticated plot.  No one else could plant the so called WWIII virus in Oswald's files into the fabric of the plot.  The only person who could ensure a national security cover-up of an apparent counterintelligence nightmare was the head of counterintelligence.

Within CIA, no matter who was Director or D.D.O., Angleton was accountable to nobody.  His lies and his silence of his knowledge of Oswald was tantamount to treason or at least obstruction of justice.  Angleton failed as CI chief.  Had the public, the Congress or the Warren Commission known of his knowledge of Oswald pre-assassination, or his post-assassination cover-up he would have lost his job.  Not to mention Angleton's knowledge of the theft of fissile material from NUMEC that thwarted JFK's nuclear non-proliferation policy.  Angleton also ignored a request on behalf of the White House to communicate all information regarding Dimona.  He was again guilty of treason.

“What he confessed was this. He had not been serving God, after all, when he followed Allen Dulles. He had been on a satanic quest.
These were some of James Jesus Angleton’s dying words. He delivered them between fits of calamitous coughing—lung-scraping seizures that still failed to break him of his cigarette habit—and soothing sips of tea. “Fundamentally, the founding fathers of U.S. intelligence were XXXXX,” Angleton told Trento in an emotionless voice. “The better you lied and the more you betrayed, the more likely you would be promoted. . . . Outside of their duplicity, the only thing they had in common was a desire for absolute power. I did things that, in looking back on my life, I regret. But I was part of it and loved being in it.”
He invoked the names of the high eminences who had run the CIA in his day—Dulles, Helms, Wisner. These men were “the grand masters,” he said. “If you were in a room with them, you were in a room full of people that you had to believe would deservedly end up in hell.”
Angleton took another slow sip from his steaming cup. “I guess I will see them there soon.”
David Talbot, The Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's Secret Government

In my opinion Angleton is probably the person who holds the most responsibility.

Dulles had been kicked out and had to rely on guys on the inside. Angleton probably picked up on the intelligence about Kennedy’s back door communication with Castro.

As we know from The Devil’s Chesboard…Dulles met up with his OSS buddies at his house, Angleton probably passed on the info and it flared up from there.

Dulles then acted as a go between with Harvey and the JCS along with Angleton’s input.

Without Angleton none of it would have happened imo.

Hence it was a non official conspiracy by right wing elements of the military and intelligence community who abused their position and were traitors to the constitution.

2 hours ago, Pete Mellor said:

I can't get past John Newman's belief that Jim Angleton was the 'general manager' of Oswald's handlers.

Consider this:-On May 23rd 1963 Angleton sent a 27 page document to many U.S. agencies.  It was titled 'Cuban Control & Action Capabilities'.  In this document Angleton stated, "An American citizen can enter Mexico with a tourist card, not even a passport, and obtain a separate visa to Cuba from the Cuban consulate in Mexico City.  He can go to Cuba and return supplied with a new tourist card obtained in Cuba without any indication that he has ever been there."

Sound familiar?

Isn't that just what the supposed Oswald was supposed to attempt four months later in late September '63?

We know from HSCA testimony that Angleton's staff member Ann Egerter opened Oswald's 201 file in December 1960.

We know from testimony of Mr. & Mrs. Wilmott that Oswald served CIA specifically as a double agent in the Soviet Union.  As Elsie Wilmott said, "Right after the President was killed people in the Tokyo station were talking openly about Oswald having gone to Russia for CIA.

Whoever were the handlers or manipulators of Oswald, be they DeMohrenschildt, Phillips or Paine's (I don't necessarily agree with all 3) as I stated above, I seriously consider Angleton their general manager.  We may never know the fundamental force that decided to eliminate Kennedy, but Angleton was certainly to my mind, the Agency mover.  No one else had the access, authority, freedom of movement and unaudited finances, along with the devious mind to manage this sophisticated plot.  No one else could plant the so called WWIII virus in Oswald's files into the fabric of the plot.  The only person who could ensure a national security cover-up of an apparent counterintelligence nightmare was the head of counterintelligence.

Within CIA, no matter who was Director or D.D.O., Angleton was accountable to nobody.  His lies and his silence of his knowledge of Oswald was tantamount to treason or at least obstruction of justice.  Angleton failed as CI chief.  Had the public, the Congress or the Warren Commission known of his knowledge of Oswald pre-assassination, or his post-assassination cover-up he would have lost his job.  Not to mention Angleton's knowledge of the theft of fissile material from NUMEC that thwarted JFK's nuclear non-proliferation policy.  Angleton also ignored a request on behalf of the White House to communicate all information regarding Dimona.  He was again guilty of treason.

Newman's views appear to be evolving. He has been hinting of non-CIA military intel. 

I wish I had the links and citations handy that I dug up a year or more ago. Allen Dulles was deep in some armaments related committee managed by the Rockefeller Foundation a couple of decades before JFK's murder, was on it for years, and the guy above Dulles who ran it was John McCloy. So Dulles essentially worked for McCloy and the Rockefeller interests. Little likely changed when McCloy took over the leadership of the Council on Foreign Relations in 1953, which he ran until 1970.

The armaments panels that Dulles, McCloy and other big names worked on usually had a sprinkling or heavy number of military names sitting alongside them, since the Pentagon figures found the discussions of are-we-buying-these-weapons-or-not to be just as interesting as Dulles and his business and banking associates did. It's a thick web. You can find talks given by Dulles in the late 50's at various economic forums on the Communist threat. then the heads of several companies will write to him and go, We were so inspired by your talk, we've just founded a new group, Business Leaders for National Security (and I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea), could you please attend our next meeting? Dulles writes back to one and says, sorry I'm busy that day but Mr XXXXXXX from the CIA will be able to attend and answer all your questions. There was a major forum in the late 50's where Dulles outlined the Communist threat to the business community, and you could see how it grabbed their attention through the ripple of letters and responses shown in the CIA Crest paperwork.

So Dulles was in steady, regular communication with many figures in the Pentagon, the armaments community, business leaders, various hawkish groups, and in some circles he'd be talking and offering advice and guidance and directions, in others (less frequent) he'd be listening and nodding and agreeing to proposals that he had been told to do, and in some he'd be chatting as an equal, the CIA director chatting to a figure that had equal or greater government experience than him, and who had sat alongside him on numerous panels pushing the Cold War for multiple reasons.

The point being that while Dulles ran the CIA, carried out coups, and did much dirty work, it would often be done in consultation with other groups who would say, yes, we think that proposal is a good one, and this is also important, and make sure that you take care of this issue, and we'll see if we can help out here, and you'll need to fix this issue for us there.

Though 1963 when the hatred of Kennedy had developed into a strong focus among certain groups, Dulles would have been a key figure to put events in play to see JFK killed - ie, gentlemen, if you want us to assist, we'll see what we can do. But the discussions and consultations that Dulles had made a part of his career would have likely carried through to high level discussions among important figures, networks and groups through the latter month of 1963.  I don't see Dulles as a wounded, bitter figure who retired to his homestead to brood and plot, but as someone who would have been kept well informed of the temperature of his associates, and their own hopes for what would happen to Kennedy during that season of campaigning. Donald Gibson in BATTLING WALL STREET has a section on the Rockefeller interests - an enormous enterprise with tentacles stretching into government, the industry and the media - and how they appeared to corral their forces against Kennedy. McCloy, a key figure from that group running the CFR, then appearing on the Warren Commission with a self-satisfied smirk alongside Dulles, seems to be a telling indicator of some of the groups likely involved.

CSIS, mentioned by me as being formed together in a rush during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and then gathering a major roster of hawks to appear at a hastily assembled early 1963 conference, appears to be another. Gerald Ford from the Warren Commission had been pulled into the CSIS orbit and appears as an early figure in their official bio. CSIS had a scary number of connections to the Pentagon, including some Joint Chiefs. Side note, try going through all the major acts of terrorism that ever affected the US over the decades that followed, and try to spot how many times a CSIS figure is on the Commission that eventually investigates it. I had trouble finding any where CSIS wasn't represented, and found some where more than one CSIS member turned up on the list of members. This includes the 9/11 Commission. CSIS also sent a group of key figures to Italy in the late 70's, at the height of the Gladio bombings, to hold a conference, meet with right-wing members in Italian politics, and generally hold forth in the country for a time while the Gladio plot unfolded.

At some point, once John Newman's next couple of books are out, I want to go over whatever he's dug up, to see if any of it connects or brushes up any of the above. I think Newman is suggesting that LHO was an asset of intelligence, used as a pawn in the back and forth machinations being played out within the intel community, the molehunt game and the spy program penetrating the USSR. Oswald as an eventual patsy is a useful move to block any later discussion or investigation of Oswald's role in the above, as it becomes a touchy subject for multiple parties.