The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

2 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Yeah, Ron.  In the Netflix documentary about Muscle Shoals there was a chapter about Duane Allman hanging out, briefly, in Muscle Shoals, before he formed the Allman Brothers Band.

In the film, one of the Swampers said, "That was the beginning of Southern Rock."

I can't believe I haven't seen this documentary. I will make a point of watching it this week.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Duane Allman at Winterland a few of weeks before he died.

Wish this was Kari Lake.

tqjrmn0ptywc1.jpeg

On TV this morning, they were talking about the Governor of South Dakota going on a murderous rampage.

First it was the dog, then the goat, then a couple of horses.

She wants to be our Vice-President.

Steve Thomas

Biden is Risking his Election, and the Country's Fate, by alienating the Youth with his Embrace of Netanyahu's War (juancole.com)

From the article: I do not forgive Biden for putting the country in this bind. He just had to do the decent thing, which was to rein in the Revisionist Zionists and Kahanists when it became clear that the were waging a total war on the civilian population. He could at least have done the expedient thing for his party and for the country. He had done it before. I frankly cannot understand what drives the man to destroy himself and the USA in this way. He is swatting down the clear conclusions of his own appointees at US AID and the State Department that the Israelis are committing serious war crimes and setting up a man-made famine of ugly proportions. You never want, as a politician, to be associated with AP photos of emaciated toddlers, even if you have no internal conscience about it. It turns out that the man famed for empathy has a fatal blind spot when it comes to brown people. And don’t think the black and brown people don’t notice.

From the article: I have a sinking feeling about this loss of the youth vote. A wise cabinet would invoke the 25th amendment, declare Biden non compos mentis, cut Netanyahu off at the knees, and save the country from the looming catastrophe.

22 minutes ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Biden is Risking his Election, and the Country's Fate, by alienating the Youth with his Embrace of Netanyahu's War (juancole.com)

From the article: I do not forgive Biden for putting the country in this bind. He just had to do the decent thing, which was to rein in the Revisionist Zionists and Kahanists when it became clear that the were waging a total war on the civilian population. He could at least have done the expedient thing for his party and for the country. He had done it before. I frankly cannot understand what drives the man to destroy himself and the USA in this way. He is swatting down the clear conclusions of his own appointees at US AID and the State Department that the Israelis are committing serious war crimes and setting up a man-made famine of ugly proportions. You never want, as a politician, to be associated with AP photos of emaciated toddlers, even if you have no internal conscience about it. It turns out that the man famed for empathy has a fatal blind spot when it comes to brown people. And don’t think the black and brown people don’t notice.

From the article: I have a sinking feeling about this loss of the youth vote. A wise cabinet would invoke the 25th amendment, declare Biden non compos mentis, cut Netanyahu off at the knees, and save the country from the looming catastrophe.

Doug,

Everyone knows how much I despise Donald Trump, but I am also profoundly disappointed with Joe Biden for his mismanagement of the Gaza genocide.

America needs to start talking about Gaza genocide denial.

I pointed out to some genocide deniers recently that Bosnian Serbs were prosecuted for genocide for murdering 8,000 Muslim men at Srebenica.

What Netanyahu and the IDF have done in Gaza is far worse.

2 hours ago, Douglas Caddy said:

Unfortunately this is the downside for  having "Old man Joe" veteran of the Cold War. He sees everything in terms of 20th century alliances.

As I said, I think for the first 3 months, there was not  going to be much Biden could do, because he had to let the whole experience sink in to the Israeli public's mind. And obviously we weren't going to bring troops in. No one would want that.

To continue arming the Israelis really ends up saying we have allegiance to only democracies (who right now are struggling and Israel is a severe case in point.) and screw the evil dictators which I'm  in favor of. But it also says 'screw you too" to the unaligned world who are on neither side and primarily need to establish a more stable economic footing. The United States can't be seen as a major superpower that condones and finances a genocide of any people.

The truth is, there is increasingly less high ground for extolling  democracies as they can elect fascists as well, witness Netanyahu who has ruled Israel for 17 of the last 27 years! These perceptions have been breaking down.

As for Biden suffering from loss of the youth vote. The type of voters who are protesting are aware enough to know that Trump's attitude toward the Israel Hamas war will be much worse. If Biden can't make any faster progress and continues being  Bibi's re Bozo ( heh heh, a little Nixon reference!) the youth probably won't defect to Trump but Biden will suffer from low turnout.  As much as I resent the importance of those purple states  in our electoral process,  he's not looking great in any of them and he needs them to win.

Relief for the suffering is good, but he really has to stand up to Bibi in an unequivocal way. I'd say we're down 5-2 in the 6th inning.

Also the economy is not going to help out. There's a 50-50 chance we're not even going to get a rate cut before the election. Even though 6 months ago the bond market was pricing in 5 rate cuts in 2024! The public does defer to the judgment of the business class about such matters, and no improvement, and less accessibility to lower mortgage rates  is bad for Biden. 

21 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

What would you have done differently, William?

Sandy,

Obama would have handled the situation much better, IMO, because he understood Netanyahu's militant bigotry.  (See the NYT article about Netanyahu's goal of bombing Iran-- on the Political Discussion board.)

Biden should have been much more forceful in opposing the massacre of women and children in Gaza, and the massive bombing of schools, hospitals, and residential buildings.

He should have withheld bombs and military equipment, and supported UN ceasefire resolutions.

Posted (edited)

Donald Trump has now been found to be in criminal contempt.

Does that mean we can now add criminal to his resume?

Donald Trump

Curriculum Vitae

Former President of the United States

Golfer

Criminal

Steve Thomas

Edited by Steve Thomas

15 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

Donald Trump has now been found to be in criminal contempt.

Does that mean we can now add criminal to his resume?

Donald Trump

Curriculum Vitae

Former President of the United States

Golfer

Criminal

Steve Thomas

Apparently, Judge Merchan is only allowed to fine Trump $1,000 per gag order infraction.

So Trump was fined a paltry $9,000 for nine infractions, BUT Merchan has threatened to jail Trump if he violates the gag order a tenth time.

IMO, Merchan needs to follow through on this threat.

Sociopaths only respond to threats of external consequences for bad behavior.

You can't appeal to their consciences, because they have none.

Remember that old National Lampoon meme?  🤥

Vote for Trump or We Shoot the Dog

2.jpg

Posted (edited)

I'm proud of my alma mater, Brown University today-- especially when I read about the way most of these campus protests are being handled in the U.S.

4c6d6900339eb3d4a0970d4fb507776939c9e636

Edited by W. Niederhut