The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

The National Enquirer was the go-to American tabloid for many years. Donald Trump helped change that

By DAVID BAUDER April 26, 2024

https://apnews.com/article/trump-national-enquirer-catch-kill-57f0c462af437fb07967a041b6f66022

NEW YORK (AP) — Catch and kill. Checkbook journalism. Secret deals. Friends helping friends.

“Even by National Enquirer standards, testimony by its former publisher David Pecker at Donald Trump’s hush money trial this week has revealed an astonishing level of corruption at America’s best-known tabloid and may one day be seen as the moment it effectively died.”

“The Enquirer averaged 238,000 newsstand sales each week during the last six months of election year 2016, according to the Alliance for Audited Media. During the last six months of 2023, its sales averaged just under 56,500.”

“It’s really a shadow of its former self,” Cartwright said. “David Pecker’s legacy will be that he totally destroyed that tabloid.”

Everything Donald Trump touches, dies.

Steve Thomas

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

April 29

On April 29, 1429, Joan of Arc entered the besieged city of Orleans to lead a French victory over the English.

In 1916, the Easter Rising in Dublin collapsed as Irish nationalists surrendered to British authorities.

In 1945, during World War II, American soldiers liberated the Dachau (DAH’-khow) concentration camp. Adolf Hitler married Eva Braun

In 1946, 28 former Japanese officials went on trial in Tokyo as war criminals;

In 1967, Aretha Franklin’s cover of Otis Redding’s “Respect” was released as a single by Atlantic Records.

In 1991, a cyclone began striking the South Asian country of Bangladesh; it ended up killing more than 138,000 people,

In 1992, a jury in Simi Valley, California, acquitted four Los Angeles police officers of almost all state charges in the videotaped beating of motorist Rodney King;

In 2020, scientists announced the first effective treatment against the coronavirus,

Steve Thomas

7 minutes ago, Steve Thomas said:

April 29

On April 29, 1429, Joan of Arc entered the besieged city of Orleans to lead a French victory over the English.

In 1916, the Easter Rising in Dublin collapsed as Irish nationalists surrendered to British authorities.

In 1945, during World War II, American soldiers liberated the Dachau (DAH’-khow) concentration camp. Adolf Hitler married Eva Braun

In 1946, 28 former Japanese officials went on trial in Tokyo as war criminals;

In 1967, Aretha Franklin’s cover of Otis Redding’s “Respect” was released as a single by Atlantic Records.

In 1991, a cyclone began striking the South Asian country of Bangladesh; it ended up killing more than 138,000 people,

In 1992, a jury in Simi Valley, California, acquitted four Los Angeles police officers of almost all state charges in the videotaped beating of motorist Rodney King;

In 2020, scientists announced the first effective treatment against the coronavirus,

Steve Thomas

Steve,

My older sister bought the 45 rpm of Aretha Franklin's hit song, "Respect," in '67.  I think the flip side was, "Think."

But I didn't know until recently-- after watching a Netflix series about Muscle Shoals-- that Aretha's great soul band on those hits was the "Swampers"-- a bunch of mostly white guys from the backwoods of Alabama.

I was astonished.

PERMIAN OIL EXTRACTION LIFTS AND SINKS LAND [IN WEST TEXAS]

Wall Street Journal 
April 29, 2024

Excerpt: "The land has subsided by as much as 11 inches since 2015 in a prime portion of the Permian Basin as drillers extract huge amounts of oil and water, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of satellite data. In other areas where drillers dispose of wastewater in underground wells, the land has lifted as much as 5 inches over the same period."

6 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Steve,

My older sister bought the 45 rpm of Aretha Franklin's hit song, "Respect," in '67.  I think the flip side was, "Think."

But I didn't know until recently-- after watching a Netflix series about Muscle Shoals-- that Aretha's great soul band on those hits was the "Swampers"-- a bunch of mostly white guys from the backwoods of Alabama.

I was astonished.

Including Duane Allman.

I didn't realize 80 year olds Keith Richards and Mick Jagger along with 76 year old Ronnie Wood kicked off the Rolling Stones 2024 U S tour in Houston last night.

The Rolling Stones Kick Off 'Hackney Diamonds' Tour in Houston — See the Photos! (msn.com)

My favorite version of this, even though pre Wood's, with Mich Taylor.

31 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Including Duane Allman.

Yeah, Ron.  In the Netflix documentary about Muscle Shoals there was a chapter about Duane Allman hanging out, briefly, in Muscle Shoals, before he formed the Allman Brothers Band.

In the film, one of the Swampers said, "That was the beginning of Southern Rock."

1 hour ago, W. Niederhut said:

Yeah, Ron.  In the Netflix documentary about Muscle Shoals there was a chapter about Duane Allman hanging out, briefly, in Muscle Shoals, before he formed the Allman Brothers Band.

In the film, one of the Swampers said, "That was the beginning of Southern Rock."

The documentary sounds familiar but I don't remember a chapter on Duane.  I've seen something that had some things about Muscle Shoals in it.  I'm going to look for it.

I read or saw somewhere that Duane camped out in a tent across the street from the studio so as to be available when work was.