The Education Forum

MAINSTREAM COOLER - For those who believe mainstream contemporary facts.

Sandy Larsen

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Party time in Denver tonight, pretty much all over Colorado.

Ron,

I used to go to the Nuggets games at Denver's old McNichols Arena back in the 80s-- when Alex English, Dan Issel, Fat Lever and the Nuggets often led the NBA in scoring-- but the Nuggets could never get past Magic Johnson and the Showtime Lakers in the playoffs.

Then I gave up on the Nuggets after Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups lost to the Lakers 4-2 in the Western Conference Finals and left town for good.

46 years is a long, long time for a franchise to exist without winning a championship.

So, the feeling in Denver is surreal tonight.  People are lighting firecrackers in my neighborhood.

Nikola Jokic, Jamal Murray, and the Nuggets have a groovy thing going. 

I hope this squad will remain intact for a few years.

Edited by W. Niederhut

Russia State TV Warns U.S. a Nuclear Strike Will Happen—'In the Crosshairs' (msn.com)

After reading today about Putin's latest threats to nuke the U.S., I immediately wondered if Trump had shared top secret U.S. intelligence about our nuclear defense capabilities with Kremlin agents.

If I recall correctly, a lot of Russians congregate at Mar-a-Lago and other Trump properties.

Yow! I gotta say I'm more impressed with my Governors ability to think on his feet than I've ever been in this interview with Sean Hannity, Newsome doesn't get derailed and completely owns him, and it's a pretty substantive interview as well.

Newsome defends Biden better than any Democrat I've seen yet. Which is no surprise as I don't think the Democrats are communicating well at all about what they've done or where they stand. With the policies of the Republicans, even apart from the MAGA craziness, the Democrats should be cleaning up!

It appears barring a Biden health incident, Newsome is biding his time until 2028, which is a better time for him, though I do have a hard time waiting.

Headline in today's New York Times

G.O.P. Rebels Are Breaking the Rule on Rules, Upending How the House Works

Those challenging Speaker Kevin McCarthy from the far right are violating a longstanding House tradition, fundamentally changing the nature of the chamber in ways that point to major dysfunction ahead.

Faux News televised Trump's lie-filled rant at Bedminster yesterday, while referring to Biden as a, "Wannabe Dictator."

God help us.

Trump’s defense after his indictment and arraignment: Lies and victim narratives - Vox

Remember when Republicans, including MTG, heckled Biden during his 2023 State of the Union address, and called him a "l-i-a-r" for mentioning that some Republicans wanted to cut Social Security and Medicare?  🙄

Social Security Benefits Targeted for Cuts by House Republicans

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-06-14/social-security-benefits-targeted-for-cuts-by-house-conservatives

No paywall
https://archive.is/uDJi4

House conservatives on Wednesday proposed raising the US retirement age to collect Social Security, handing Democrats damaging political ammunition ahead of the 2024 election.

The proposal by the 176-member House Republican Study Committee would gradually increase the retirement age, ultimately hitting 69 years old for those turning 62 in 2033. The current retirement age for full benefits is 66 and rising gradually to 67.

Democrats successfully used similar proposals from fiscal conservatives to their advantage in the 2022 midterm election. Their message that the GOP was targeting old-age benefits resonated with voters and was credited with limiting Democrats’ losses in the House.

Under the plan, which is unlikely to become law, benefits for current retirees wouldn’t be cut. But for those expecting an earlier retirement benefit, lifetime payouts would be lower.

Edited by W. Niederhut