The Education Forum

"CIA PERSONNEL INVOLVED IN THE WARREN COMMISSION INVESTIGATION"

Several names I'm familiar with there, top level, and several I'm not.  I wonder if under Div D, Security, might Col Edwards have been Sheffield, though I've never seen him called that.  Good find.

Edited by Ron Bulman

9 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Several names I'm familiar with there, top level, and several I'm not.  I wonder if under Div D, Security, might Col Edwards have been Sheffield, though I've never seen him called that.  Good find.

Yes, quite a few familiar names, but I was not aware of some those names being participants in the CIA's interactions with the Warren Commission.

1 minute ago, Matt Allison said:

Yes, quite a few familiar names, but I was not aware of some those names being participants in the CIA's interactions with the Warren Commission.

Do you mean the Dulles Commission?

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Yeah that's him.

7 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

I don't know if there was a previous version of this redacted, but this is certainly a fascinating document released today:

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2023/104-10096-10232.pdf

Yes, it was

1.) 1993

2.) Aug 25, 1998

3.) Nov 9, 2017

4.) April 26, 2018 

5.) Dec 15, 2022

13 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

These doc's apparently originate from the work of Congressman Thomas Downing's office in 1976, which I believe led to the HSCA.

This one confirms that David Phillips was involved with the Warren Commission investigation on a daily basis.

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2023/104-10096-10109.pdf

It is interesting what John Whitten (WH division in charge 23.11.63-mid 1.64) stated in secret testimony in '78, "In the early stages Angleton was not able to influence the course of the investigation.  He was extremely embittered that I was entrusted with the investigation, and he wasn't.  Angleton then sandbagged me as quickly as he could."

After the W.C.'s Lee Rankin requested copies of CIA cables relating to MC, Angleton's deputy Ray Rocca told Helms that Jim would prefer to 'wait out' the Commission!  Why would a senior CIA official want to wait out the investigators of a presidential assassination?

16 minutes ago, Pete Mellor said:

Why would a senior CIA official want to wait out the investigators of a presidential assassination?

Because that would have forced him to confront the fact that something was fishy as it pertained to the way Oswald's internal files were being handled.

19 minutes ago, Pete Mellor said:

It is interesting what John Whitten (WH division in charge 23.11.63-mid 1.64) stated in secret testimony in '78, "In the early stages Angleton was not able to influence the course of the investigation.  He was extremely embittered that I was entrusted with the investigation, and he wasn't.  Angleton then sandbagged me as quickly as he could."

After the W.C.'s Lee Rankin requested copies of CIA cables relating to MC, Angleton's deputy Ray Rocca told Helms that Jim would prefer to 'wait out' the Commission!  Why would a senior CIA official want to wait out the investigators of a presidential assassination?

Do not conflate these two separate investigations.  The CIA's own internal investigation originally headed by John Whitten is not the same thing as the Warren Commission investigation.  Angleton eventually wrestled control of the CIA's internal investigation away from Whiten.  

The CIA as we're learning had and is still hiding a lot about MC.  

20 hours ago, Matt Allison said:

These doc's apparently originate from the work of Congressman Thomas Downing's office in 1976, which I believe led to the HSCA.

This one confirms that David Phillips was involved with the Warren Commission investigation on a daily basis.

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2023/104-10096-10109.pdf

CIA station chiefs in many European cities too. And Tennant Bagley, misspelled I think