The Education Forum

Rob Reiner And Soledad O'Brien Aim To Reveal JFK's Real Killers

John Deignan

2 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

Well said Richard, and aside from Plumlee and a couple of fiction books I have never seen any documentation (other than assertions in JFK literature) of the term "illusionary warfare" (military deception is a term which is used and the Army uses the term illusory concept in regard to psychological warfare) of such a specialty or of specific, related training under that name at Nag's Head or anywhere else. 

I would also like to see some documented support for both that term and also for an ONI Defector program targeted on Russia.  That gets talked about frequently and seeing some actual source material would be really helpful. 

Yeah the entire Reiner podcast would benefit from footnotes of reliable sources if he wants us to buy his take. I particularly didn’t think the “Oswald was groomed for spook work since age 13” was believable or well-supported.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Michaleen Kilroy said:

Yeah the entire Reiner podcast would benefit from footnotes of reliable sources if he wants us to buy his take. I particularly didn’t think the “Oswald was groomed for spook work since age 13” was believable or well-supported.

Yeah, footnotes and citations would be great. But this IS Rob Reiner, so half this stuff he isn't even aware of and he's just reading from a script he was given...

Thanks, @Richard Booth I worried I would do a disservice to the tape recording of the brief exchange with Blakey. Heard live, I trust you would draw a different conclusion.  Blakey knew exactly who the caller asked about.

I coauthored "Coup in Dallas" with Hank Albarelli having been contacted by him as his collaboration with Major Ralph Ganis dissolved. 

So, if i can ask, what "thesis" can you not "buy into" having "flipped through it"?  It's not a flippin through  kind of book. It's definitely not a Raymond Chandler whodunit.  And, btw, how did you miss the title page? 

Edited by Leslie Sharp

@Richard Booth @Roger Odisio I

But if those paid shooters had long histories and shared ideologies that guaranteed loyalty to death with those who funded them, would you still argue that who actually shot Kennedy in Dallas is insignificant to the cold case murder investigation? 

To begin the lisi:

Jack Canon in service to Gen. Willoughby -- early days of the Cold War and member of JACK Command. 

I've noted in these deliberations there is rarely a throughline. How does a single established fact relate to another?  How would Oswald standing outside the building relate to his role as the perfect patsy? How does Canon's  decades long service to Gen. Willoughby (MacArthur's Little Fascist and a name that appears frequently in Lafitte's record) relate to Willoughby's personal longstanding friendship and alliance with Allen Dulles? Is it significant Willoughby was in correspondence with OUN/ABN Yarislov Stetsko and scheduled to appear with him at an extreme conservative European conference in October? How close was Stetsko to Spas Raikin? Does it matter that Hans-Ulrich Rudel, named in Lafitte records, finally after more than a decade, secured an entry visa and arrived in time for a conference at Wright Patterson on October 13, 1963? Does it matter that Rudel aligned with Skorzeny (who dominates Lafitte's world in 1963) to create Merex AG in MC with another arms merchant Gerhard Mertins? Should that history factor in to the analysis of Tom Davis and Lee Oswald meeting at the Luma or not? Should Marguerite's appearance in the spring of 1964 on "Kup" Kupcinet's radio show alongside Hjalmar Schacht -- once Hitler's favorite financier and nominal uncle to Otto and Ilse Skorzeny -- be brushed off as mere coincidence when it was H. Keith Thompson, one time registered agent for Hitler's Reich, who as Marguerite's publicist for a brief period arranged the "Kup" gig? Thompson as most are likely aware was in the York area of NYC when young Oswald was roaming the streets and in close proximity to Dan Burros who among other tasks, printed the fliers in support of French stronghold in Algeria to be dropped to SS Otto Remer then ensconced in Oran, another client and ideological comrade of Thompson, Rudel and Skorzeny. Does it matter that Thompson signed Rudel's visa ap or that the latter was in the States as preparations escalated to shoot Kennedy in Dallas? 

The compartmentalization of facts is tired and worn, and 60 years on, still ineffective. 

Edited by Leslie Sharp

1 hour ago, Richard Booth said:

Yeah, footnotes and citations would be great. But this IS Rob Reiner, so half this stuff he isn't even aware of and he's just reading from a script he was given...

I doubt that. A writer is credited, but your conclusion isn’t likely, given Rob’s intro. 

@Richard BoothPerhaps many on this thread are unaware that Rob Reiner and Dick Russell had been collaborating on a Kennedy project since at least 2018, if not earlier, so I think you're in error when you subjectively opine Reiner is just "reading a script."  When facts can't be disputed, attack the messenger  seems to be a shared character flaw in this particular community.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

You know, you can tell the difference between amateurs, cranks and serious researchers in the JFKA, and probably most other serious endeavors too. 

Serious people tell you what they don't know, and also when evidence is hearsay, or sketchy. 

A researcher like Larry Hancock constantly counsels the reader on the limitations of the evidence at hand, and is circumspect in his findings. Jeff Morley, James DiEugenio, Tink Thompson and a few others fall into this category.

Others make outlandish claims, with widening nets of hundreds of suspects, based on the flimsiest shards of "evidence" or even secret documents unavailable for review by the public. 

Reiner is coming perilously close to falling into this latter and unfortunate category. 

LHO was a CIA asset from age 13?

It may be LHO took intelligence tests and was put on some sort of intel-list when he joined the Marines, and then given intel-related work at Atsugi airbase. In fact, that seems like a good guess. 

Why does Reiner float off into mere speculation? I don't know. 

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

You know, you can tell the difference between amateurs, cranks and serious researchers in the JFKA, and probably most other serious endeavors too. 

Serious people tell you what they don't know, and also when evidence is hearsay, or sketchy. 

A researcher like Larry Hancock constantly counsels the reader on the limitations of the evidence at hand, and is circumspect in his findings. Jeff Morley, James DiEugenio, Tink Thompson and a few others fall into this category.

They routinely ignore the extant physical evidence — bullet defects in the clothes.  Can’t take such incompetence seriously.

I give Larry a pass.

1 hour ago, Benjamin Cole said:

Others make outlandish claims, with widening nets of hundreds of suspects, based on the flimsiest shards of "evidence" or even secret documents unavailable for review by the public. 

Getting a lecture on outlandish claims from Ben Cole!  Imagine that.

Can you imagine a shooter intentionally loading an under-charged round, hitting JFK in the back around Z190 with shallow penetration, to which JFK responded by balling his fists in front of his throat, and remaining mute and still for six seconds.

Did any witnesses report the early back shot?  No.  Did JFK arch his back in pain?  No.  Warn the others of the attack?  No.  Duck out of the way?  No.

Have all the pet theories you want, Ben, but spare us the lectures on “serious” research.

Researcher / author Jeff Meek called in to a Chigago radio show to ask Robert Blakey specifically about Jean Rene Soutre. He has the recording. 

For those unfamiliar, Jeff began studying he assassination in the early '70s and was befriended and mentored by Mary Ferrell.  It was Mary who marveled that to her knowledge he was the first to land a response from the government to his requests for information or documents on Souetre. His interest in the French OAS captain has never wained.  He is also an authority on Lee Oswald as evidenced in his book,The Manipulation of Lee Harvey Oswald: and the Cover-Up That Followed, published in August 2021.

Meek's monthly series The JFK Files runs in the Hot Springs Village Voice focused on the assassination, and is the only series of its kind in the country. His dedication toward actually solving the crime in Dallas is rarely matched these days. 

45 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Researcher / author Jeff Meek called in to a Chigago radio show to ask Robert Blakey specifically about Jean Rene Soutre. He has the recording. 

For those unfamiliar, Jeff began studying he assassination in the early '70s and was befriended and mentored by Mary Ferrell.  It was Mary who marveled that to her knowledge he was the first to land a response from the government to his requests for information or documents on Souetre. His interest in the French OAS captain has never wained.  He is also an authority on Lee Oswald as evidenced in his book,The Manipulation of Lee Harvey Oswald: and the Cover-Up That Followed, published in August 2021.

Meek's monthly series The JFK Files runs in the Hot Springs Village Voice focused on the assassination, and is the only series of its kind in the country. His dedication toward actually solving the crime in Dallas is rarely matched these days. 

Thanks for the tip.  I didn't find his monthly columns in the HVV, but I dud find this.

The JFK Files: Pieces of the Assassination Puzzle: Meek, Jeffrey L., Garrett, Del: 9798856903262: Amazon.com: Books

And this, which I've not watched yet.

12 minutes ago, Ron Bulman said:

Thanks for the tip.  I didn't find his monthly columns in the HVV, but I dud find this.

The JFK Files: Pieces of the Assassination Puzzle: Meek, Jeffrey L., Garrett, Del: 9798856903262: Amazon.com: Books

And this, which I've not watched yet.

Thank you again Robbie Robertson.  Out of the Blank Rocks.  Only 12 minutes in but this is excellent.

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Thank you again Robbie Robertson.  Out of the Blank Rocks.  Only 12 minutes in but this is excellent.

I still think Ruth was used, and cooperated in the cover up.  The trip to the north east in the summer of 1963 to visit her sister of the CIA and father of USAID (CIA) along with (?) Naushon Island then picking up pregnant Marina and toddler June in New Orleans, but not a rifle on her way back to Dallas is a little too much to believe.  

@Ron Bulman As Meek has stressed, she has never deviated from her story during several recent interviews. And prior to his interviews, to my knowledge no one has ever asked her directly about CIA, so the suggestion he threw softball questions is unfounded. 

I've asked if Ruth would be willing to discuss the presence of FBI SA Bard Odum in their lives pre and post assassination. 

Edited by Leslie Sharp

@Benjamin Cole you're satisfied knowing everything there is to know about the patsy down to his preferred underwear metaphorically speaking but show no curiosity, no interest at all in who fired the shots in Dealey, who hired them, who strategized the triangular crossfire, who managed things on the ground pre and post the murder, who first spread the story of Oswald the commie, all the way to who authorized the hit.   As long as you can point the finger at the 24 yr old kid accused of the assassination who had been run by THE C.I.A., THE government -- a mantra Libertarians seem to rejoicee in-- you seem satisfied. End of cold case murder investigation.

• 1 month later...

In the latest episode the podcast names their suspected shooters: Herminio Diaz Garcia, Jean Souetre, Charles Nicoletti, and Jack Cannon. Also places they believe shots came from: 6th floor TSBD, behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll, the Dal Tex building and the County Records building, and the overpass by the south knoll. However that would require one more shooter.