The Education Forum

Mary Haverstick's Important New Book on the JFK Assassination

Did Mary say June was QJWIN? Or was it Jerrie? 
It’s too bad Hank and Mary never sat down with each other and worked through this mystery together. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul:

It does not matter which one she says it was.

According to the declassified record, which the CIA never wanted to reveal, it was neither.  Could she really not know that?

Also, according to Leslie, the book says that ZR Rifle was designed to do away with Kennedy and that Cobb was also the Babushka lady?  And was somehow caught up in the assassination?

1 hour ago, Paul Brancato said:

Did Mary say June was QJWIN? Or was it Jerrie? 
It’s too bad Hank and Mary never sat down with each other and worked through this mystery together. 

@Paul Brancato  I think your question speaks to the broader issue several researchers have raised with AWIK.

Have you read the book? If so, are you clear who the author suggests was THE QJ/WIN? Was it June Cobb? Was it Jerrie Cobb? Was it Jerrie posing as June, or as Catherine Taaffe? Did she leave you, the reader, to draw your own conclusions? 

Another similar example: When I asked Mary about "Bobby" from the surveillance transcript at the Manhatten hotel and shared with her that a fellow researcher's takeaway from the incident was that "Bobby"  was in fact Robert F. Kennedy, she laughed, "I didn't say that," to wit I asked, "but you know you inferred it?"  Her response, "I can't control what the reader concludes." My response, "why would you be comfortable with the reader drawing an erroneous conclusion?"

When Mary recounted the brief call she had with Albarelli -- I believe she said in May 2015, two years after A Secret Order was published -- I listened attentively all the while wondering why she waited two years to contact him. I even commiserated initially, knowing that he could be unforgiving if someone, witting or not, misstated facts. He could also be abrupt with anyone who refused to acknowledge errors.  However, after further inquiry about specifics of the exchange with Hank, and having spent two years in daily contact with him including many days in his direct company, I drew an informed conclusion. I included that subjective assessment and conclusion in a previous comment on this thread. 

Edited by Leslie Sharp

28 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

Paul:

According to the declassified record, which the CIA never wanted to reveal, it was neither.  Could she really not know that?

Also, according to Leslie, the book says that ZR Rifle was designed to do away with Kennedy and that Cobb was also the Babushka lady?  And was somehow caught up in the 

To clarify, the author asserts that Babushka "Cobb" was Jerrie... I think. 🙂

Edited by Leslie Sharp

1 hour ago, James DiEugenio said:

Paul:

Also, according to Leslie, the book says that ZR Rifle was designed to do away with Kennedy and that Cobb was also the Babushka lady?  And was somehow caught up in the assassination?

@James DiEugenio QJ/WIN, the programme, involved a number of spotters; Albarelli’s last count suggested multiples. I think you might be referring to documents that elaborate on but one of those based in Luxembourg being considered for work in the Congo.

Documents pertaining to the arrest of Thomas Eli Davis in Morocco indicate another QJ/WIN pulled strings to secure his release.  Considering Davis had only weeks earlier been meeting with Otto Skorzeny and his associate in Madrid — arms dealer (and former OSS asset) Victor Oswald, the likely candidate was Otto. And, considering Davis plays a pivotal role in the sightings of Lee Oswald in Mexico City two months earlier, as attested to by Garro and reinforced by June Cobb — a primary subject of Haverstick’s own investigation —  one could reasonably expect Haverstick to consider Davis/QJ/WIN/Tangier before wrapping up her narrative?

Claiming to have uncovered another spotter is one thing. Suggesting a thirty something untrained asset — female at that — was head of this particular programme is a leap that should at least be heavily scrutinized by veterans of this area of investigation.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

/Nov 22/

Willoughby backup

team [strike through]
squad —tech

building —phone booth/bridge

O says turn them.

Silverthorne-

Ft. Worth 

-airport Mexico

—-Lafitte datebook, November 15

Nowhere in Lafitte’s notes does it indicate Skorzeny had designated  Babushka Lady as one of the assassins. Jerrie Cobb does not appear on the radar of his strategy, unless she is a member of the squad or the swamp team identified in the datebook.

It’s possible that plans for Oswald’s extraction were managed by someone completely outside Otto’s strategy, but to suggest pilot Jerrie Cobb was in Dealey shooting Kennedy through a camera (and how do Connally’s wounds factor in Haverstick’s scenario?) and also meant to make it out to Redbird in the ensuing mayhem seems ill conceived. Was the plot short staffed?  

We've since considered the possibility that BL could have been a member of one of the distraction teams. We note that Alice Lamy, whose romantic history with La Cagoule founder Jean Filiol has been confirmed and who arrived with Filiol at the Stoneleigh Hotel on November 20, had in previous operations in Europe sometimes provided effective distractions when she wasn’t actively engaged in hands on murder.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

On 12/16/2023 at 1:38 PM, James DiEugenio said:

I've not kept up with this thread.  So, Haversticks book says ZR Rifle was designed to assassinate JFK, not Castro and others, specifically for JFK, before he was elected?  That June Cobb or for that matter pilot Jerrie Cobb was the Babushka lady?  That all seems a little preposterous.  I'm not sure I believe Alice Lamy as BB Lady but June or Jerrie Cobb is an equal stretch of the imagination.

10 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

I've not kept up with this thread.  So, Haversticks book says ZR Rifle was designed to assassinate JFK, not Castro and others, specifically for JFK, before he was elected?  That June Cobb or for that matter pilot Jerrie Cobb was the Babushka lady?  That all seems a little preposterous.  I'm not sure I believe Alice Lamy as BB Lady but June or Jerrie Cobb is an equal stretch of the imagination.

You make a great DJ!

Considering no one on this thread seems astonished that the author of AWIK has stretched the limits beyond reason asserting that Kennedy was assassinated by a woman with a pistol in a camera (no explanation for Connally's wounds?), i thought I would toss in another candidate and role for Babushka Lady.

I've never talked to Beverly Oliver, but over the past year I've communicated with several who know her personally. The incident at the Cabana Motel on Nov 21 has been verified so why invent the camera episode the following day? 

Edited by Leslie Sharp

On 12/16/2023 at 3:01 PM, Leslie Sharp said:

@Paul Brancato  I think your question speaks to the broader issue several researchers have raised with AWIK.

Have you read the book? If so, are you clear who the author suggests was THE QJ/WIN? Was it June Cobb? Was it Jerrie Cobb? Was it Jerrie posing as June, or as Catherine Taaffe? Did she leave you, the reader, to draw your own conclusions? 

Another similar example: When I asked Mary about "Bobby" from the surveillance transcript at the Manhatten hotel and shared with her that a fellow researcher's takeaway from the incident was that "Bobby"  was in fact Robert F. Kennedy, she laughed, "I didn't say that," to wit I asked, "but you know you inferred it?"  Her response, "I can't control what the reader concludes." My response, "why would you be comfortable with the reader drawing an erroneous conclusion?"

When Mary recounted the brief call she had with Albarelli -- I believe she said in May 2015, two years after A Secret Order was published -- I listened attentively all the while wondering why she waited two years to contact him. I even commiserated initially, knowing that he could be unforgiving if someone, witting or not, misstated facts. He could also be abrupt with anyone who refused to acknowledge errors.  However, after further inquiry about specifics of the exchange with Hank, and having spent two years in daily contact with him including many days in his direct company, I drew an informed conclusion. I included that subjective assessment and conclusion in a previous comment on this thread. 

Leslie, in the interest of fairness and accuracy, I respectfully suggest that you should refrain from making further comments on Mary's book until you have read it. You have made a number of inaccurate statements about the book and have raised objections to the book that the book capably addresses.

49 minutes ago, Michael Griffith said:

Leslie, in the interest of fairness and accuracy, I respectfully suggest that you should refrain from making further comments on Mary's book until you have read it. You have made a number of inaccurate statements about the book and have raised objections to the book that the book capably addresses.

Michael, respectfully, can you be specific?

I will retract inaccuracies but you will first need to identify them in detail. 

Michael, while I await your specifics, Grace Macaskill of The US SUN writes that “Mary is convinced Jerrie and June are the same person.” I’ve come across this general takeaway in a number of reviews, and it’s apparent you are convinced as well.

But the fact is, Jerrie and June Cobb were NOT the same person. June passed away Oct 17, 2015. Jerrie passed away March 18, 2019.  I would like to think you’re acting in good faith here so will you at least acknowledge the two women left this earthly coil as distinct individuals?

Further, THE SUN captions for relevant photos read: “A woman named either Jerrie or June Cobb is speculated to have been a potential getaway pilot for Oswald” and “She may have worked as a secretary to Cuban dictator to Cuban dictator Fidel Castro.” 

Viola June Cobb, born 1927,  friend of investigative reporter Hank Albarelli Jr. and godmother to his first grandson, was NOT a licensed pilot. 

If you refuse to acknowledge these fundamental inaccuracies in Haverstick’s book, how are you in a credible position to judge the accuracy of anyone’s challenge to this obliviously flawed account of events in Dealey?

In her own words, when challenged about a particularly wild speculation, Haverstick laughed and said that she can’t control the conclusions drawn by the reader. 

I would posit that the confusion sown by this book, timed deliberately for the 60th, is the responsibility of the author and her editor. If you want to chase behind and attempt damage control, that’s your choice, friend.

Edited by Leslie Sharp

The top photo was posted earlier by Leslie and is of JUNE Cobb.

The two photos below that are somewhat younger photos of JERRIE Cobb. (No gray hair.)

They look reasonably similar, and could be the same person.

JERRIE has very distinctive looking earlobes. If Leslie has a photo showing JUNE's earlobes, we could easily rule out their being the same person if their earlobes don't match. Conversely, if they do match, there's a good chance that they are one and the same person.

Facebook_creation_22648408_resized.jpg.f

maxresdefault.jpg

im-73225?width=1280&size=1

15 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Grace Macaskill of The US SUN writes that “Mary is convinced Jerrie and June are the same person.” I’ve come across this general takeaway in a number of reviews. I believe you have also promoted the false statement on EF. Jerrie and June Cobb are NOT the same person.

How does Grace Macaskill know the June and Jerrie Cobb are not the same person?

15 minutes ago, Leslie Sharp said:

Viola June Cobb, friend of investigative reporter Hank Albarelli Jr. and godmother to his first grandson, was not a licensed pilot.

How do you know that June Cobb was not a licensed pilot?

29 minutes ago, Sandy Larsen said:

How does Grace Macaskill know the June and Jerrie Cobb are not the same person?

How do you know that June Cobb was not a licensed pilot?

Macaskill states that Mary is convinced. She doesn’t offer her own subjective opinion in the piece.  

Chapter Eleven notes, A Secret Order — Contrary to Internet mythology, June Cobb did not have a twin sister (she did have two brothers [seen in a photo I shared recently on EF] nor was she a trained aircraft pilot. — H. P. Albarelli Jr.

John Newman is on record stating same. By 2013, Both Newman and Albarelli had interviewed Viola June Cobb extensively. Albarelli was planning a biography of her which obviously would not include exploits as a pilot.

It was my understanding in conversation with Haverstick that she was never granted an interview with June Cobb. I’m prepared to be corrected. I’m also anxious to have clarification whether Jerrie the Pilot, who died in 2019, had two brothers named Jasper and Tom as did Viola June who died in 2015.

Edited by Leslie Sharp