The Education Forum

Vickie Adams Interview

Bill Fite

17 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

If the case is to be made that Adams and Styles first attempted to use the passenger elevator, then an explanation is needed as to why they then did not use that elevator.

Was someone on the passenger elevator at the time? Did Reid use the passenger elevator to get to the second floor? Seems like too short of a journey for Reid to bother using the passenger elevator. The stairs would have been easier.

While searching for elevator on my website, I came across this: (2-17-64 statement to the Dallas Police Department, box 3 folder 19 file 3 of the Dallas JFK Archive) "When the President got in front of us I heard someone call him and he turned. That is when I heard the first shot. I thought it was a firecracker. Then the second shot I saw the Secret Service man run to the back of the President's car. After the third shot I went out the back door. I said, 'I think someone has been shot.' The elevator was not running and there was no one on the stairs. I went down to the first floor. I saw Mr. Shelly and another employee named Bill. The freight elevator had not moved, and I still did not see anyone on the stairs.")

Well, hell if the freight elevator was not running, this gives us yet another reason to believe Adams ran down before Baker and Truly ran up. As the west elevator came down as Baker and Truly ran up to the fifth floor, it should have been available to Adams if she had in fact arrived at the back of the fourth floor after they had ran past. Or at least be on the first floor when she got there. That it was not supports her claim. 

Edited by Pat Speer

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Gerry Down said:

If the case is to be made that Adams and Styles first attempted to use the passenger elevator, then an explanation is needed as to why they then did not use that elevator.

Was someone on the passenger elevator at the time? Did Reid use the passenger elevator to get to the second floor? Seems like too short of a journey for Reid to bother using the passenger elevator. The stairs would have been easier.

Sarah Stanton said she took the elevator to the second floor after the shooting. This was a short trip and would not have delayed the elevator's arrival on the fourth floor for more than a few seconds. 

P.S. Some of the elevators of that era had something on the outside telling you which floor the elevator was on, and which direction it was heading. The front elevator was working in the minutes after the shooting. If Adams and Styles wanted to go down in that elevator, they may have had a short wait if, say, the elevator was on the third floor heading down. But I'm fairly certain no one headed down in the minutes after the shooting. Still, perhaps then they were impatient to get outside, ran over to the elevator, and ran back after they saw they might have to wait a few minutes. Or perhaps Styles was just confused. The freight elevator, after all, was not running when they arrived at the back. Maybe she'd come to believe the front elevator was stopped as well. 

24 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

While searching for elevator on my website, I came across this: (2-17-64 statement to the Dallas Police Department, box 3 folder 19 file 3 of the Dallas JFK Archive) "When the President got in front of us I heard someone call him and he turned. That is when I heard the first shot. I thought it was a firecracker. Then the second shot I saw the Secret Service man run to the back of the President's car. After the third shot I went out the back door. I said, 'I think someone has been shot.' The elevator was not running and there was no one on the stairs. I went down to the first floor. I saw Mr. Shelly and another employee named Bill. The freight elevator had not moved, and I still did not see anyone on the stairs.")

Well, hell if the freight elevator was not running, this gives us yet another reason to believe Adams ran down before Baker and Truly ran up. As the west elevator came down as Baker and Truly ran up to the fifth floor, it should have been available to Adams if she had in fact arrived at the back of the fourth floor after they had ran past. Or at least be on the first floor when she got there. That it was not supports her claim. 

This is interesting because it was stated earlier on this thread that Styles stated that Adams had said it in passing to her, some months or so after the assassination, that the freight elevator was moving as the two girls descended the back stairs. But this earlier account by Adams as you have posted appears to contradict what Styles later claimed that Adams had said to her of how the freight elevator was moving as they descended the rear stairs.

Edited by Gerry Down
Grammar

1 minute ago, Gerry Down said:

This is interesting because it was stated earlier on this thread that Styles stated that Adams had said it in passing to her, some months or so after the assassination, that the freight elevator was moving as the two girls descended the back stairs. But this earlier account by Adams as you have posted appears to contradict what Styles later claimed that Adams had said to her of how the freight elevator was moving as they descended the rear stairs.

Yeah, I noticed the other day that Styles said the elevator cables were moving or some such thing. And here Adams says nope. I don't have the energy to re-listen to her interview on Sahl right now, but I am thinking Adams said something about it there as well. 

11 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

Sarah Stanton said she took the elevator to the second floor after the shooting. This was a short trip and would not have delayed the elevator's arrival on the fourth floor for more than a few seconds. 

P.S. Some of the elevators of that era had something on the outside telling you which floor the elevator was on, and which direction it was heading. The front elevator was working in the minutes after the shooting. If Adams and Styles wanted to go down in that elevator, they may have had a short wait if, say, the elevator was on the third floor heading down. But I'm fairly certain no one headed down in the minutes after the shooting. Still, perhaps then they were impatient to get outside, ran over to the elevator, and ran back after they saw they might have to wait a few minutes. Or perhaps Styles was just confused. The freight elevator, after all, was not running when they arrived at the back. Maybe she'd come to believe the front elevator was stopped as well. 

Cool. So Sarah Stanton possibility explains why Adams and Styles could not use the passenger elevator. They were in a hurry after all, they claimed they were running, so waiting for the elevator could have been too much for them in the excitement.

5 minutes ago, Pat Speer said:

Yeah, I noticed the other day that Styles said the elevator cables were moving or some such thing. And here Adams says nope. I don't have the energy to re-listen to her interview on Sahl right now, but I am thinking Adams said something about it there as well. 

I don't think it's in the 1966 interview. I think it was something Marjan said.

Update: He said it on page 7 of this thread. Search for the word "cable".

Edited by Gerry Down
Added more info

On 1/4/2024 at 3:04 AM, Gerry Down said:

This email interview is extremely important from a historical point of view. I think it could be key to solving the mystery surrounding Vicky Adams.

Vicki Adams was a critic of the WR, particularly of the way the WC reached its findings.  That comes through clearly during her appearance with Lane and Sahl.

Yes, that appearance was very important because, less than 3 years after the murder, she makes two statements that clarify certain matters.

She begins by alluding to the fact that the WC claims she must have been mistaken about when she descended the stairs. It could not have been right before or even around the time Oswald came down the stairs, they said, because she claimed she saw S&L when she reached the first floor and they were not there until several minutes later. 

(1) Adams directly disputes the WC on that point.  In his testimony Lovelady was asked if he saw Adams on the first floor. He fudged. He said he couldn't definitely say yes, but he may have seen her.  Adams' response was unequivocal.  "He and Shelley.  I *did* see them by the elevator."  

By saying "I *did* see them", rather than merely "I saw them", Adams was referring back to the WR claim that she hadn't seen them and pointedly contradicting it.  She was confirming what she told Belin in her interview.

(2)  But when did she see them?  Adams cleared that up too, lest it still could be argued she saw them sometime later than she claimed.  

In her appearance, Adams complains about the fact that in his testimony Lovelady said that he "went over to find out what time it was" immediately after seeing her, she said, but the WC never followed that up.  It could have verified the timing in her story.  They didn't follow it up because they were only interested in discrediting her.

Lane interrupted to ask her what was the significance of that. It's about the timing of her trip down the steps, she says.  "In other words, he [Lovelady] had just seen me on the first floor *before I left the building*".  The last phrase is a bit muffled because Lane was talking over it, but there it is. She not only says S&L saw her on the first floor, she specifies when. It was after she and Styles made it there, but before they left the building.

That means the lie the WC used to discredit her was claiming that S&L were outside roaming around the tracks for several minutes.

Pat and Sandy have argued for that in this thread. Pat succinctly summarized:   "Shelley and Lovelady were walking away from the steps and saw Baker running towards the steps. They then circled around to come in through the side entrance, and saw Adams inside the building as she was running towards the back door." According to Pat, in addition to checking out what Baker was up to, Shelley said he wanted to get to a phone to call his wife.

Because of her '66 appearance, Adams' story, as explained by Adams herself, is now clear.

On 12/30/2023 at 5:58 AM, Joe Bauer said:

Did Adams really state in the interview that she and Styles waited a full minute ( 60 seconds) after the shots to begin running out to the stairs?

That potentially does screw up her timeline protest to Belin who refused a stopwatch test with her re-enacting her first actions after the shots.

A full minute before she hit the stairs might have been enough time for a super fast walking Oswald to get down 4 flights to the lunch room.

I thought Adams and Styles started their stair run within just a few seconds after the shots.

At 17 minutes in on the interview Adams mentions a time of between 30 seconds to 1 minute. Its not clear if she is referring to the length of time she stayed at the window or the length of time it took her to exit the rear door from her position at the 4th floor window. 

On 1/4/2024 at 12:23 PM, Marjan Rynkiewicz said:

Thanks for those links. 

26 minutes ago, Roger Odisio said:
Vicki Adams was a critic of the WR, particularly of the way the WC reached its findings.  That comes through clearly during her appearance with Lane and Sahl.

Yes, that appearance was very important because, less than 3 years after the murder, she makes two statements that clarify certain matters.

She begins by alluding to the fact that the WC claims she must have been mistaken about when she descended the stairs. It could not have been right before or even around the time Oswald came down the stairs, they said, because she claimed she saw S&L when she reached the first floor and they were not there until several minutes later. 

(1) Adams directly disputes the WC on that point.  In his testimony Lovelady was asked if he saw Adams on the first floor. He fudged. He said he couldn't definitely say yes, but he may have seen her.  Adams' response was unequivocal.  "He and Shelley.  I *did* see them by the elevator."  

By saying "I *did* see them", rather than merely "I saw them", Adams was referring back to the WR claim that she hadn't seen them and pointedly contradicting it.  She was confirming what she told Belin in her interview.

(2)  But when did she see them?  Adams cleared that up too, lest it still could be argued she saw them sometime later than she claimed.  

In her appearance, Adams complains about the fact that in his testimony Lovelady said that he "went over to find out what time it was" immediately after seeing her, she said, but the WC never followed that up.  It could have verified the timing in her story.  They didn't follow it up because they were only interested in discrediting her.

Lane interrupted to ask her what was the significance of that. It's about the timing of her trip down the steps, she says.  "In other words, he [Lovelady] had just seen me on the first floor *before I left the building*".  The last phrase is a bit muffled because Lane was talking over it, but there it is. She not only says S&L saw her on the first floor, she specifies when. It was after she and Styles made it there, but before they left the building.

That means the lie the WC used to discredit her was claiming that S&L were outside roaming around the tracks for several minutes.

Pat and Sandy have argued for that in this thread. Pat succinctly summarized:   "Shelley and Lovelady were walking away from the steps and saw Baker running towards the steps. They then circled around to come in through the side entrance, and saw Adams inside the building as she was running towards the back door." According to Pat, in addition to checking out what Baker was up to, Shelley said he wanted to get to a phone to call his wife.

Because of her '66 appearance, Adams' story, as explained by Adams herself, is now clear.

The point i was making was that Sandra Styles tells a very different story from what Adams told. Styles has them going to the passenger elevator on the east side of the building for a while before ever going to the north west stairwell. It doesn't do Adams credibility any good to leave out such a big piece of the story especially seeing how the whole issue of her story is the timing, and taking a detour to the passenger elevator is a critical factor in establishing the timing. 

Had Belin given her the time trial she so earnestly wanted, it would appear she would have not included the visit to the passenger elevator in such a time trial. And so what good would such a time trial be if she couldn't even remember where she went on her run of Nov 22nd 1963.

1 hour ago, Gerry Down said:

The point i was making was that Sandra Styles tells a very different story from what Adams told. Styles has them going to the passenger elevator on the east side of the building for a while before ever going to the north west stairwell. It doesn't do Adams credibility any good to leave out such a big piece of the story especially seeing how the whole issue of her story is the timing, and taking a detour to the passenger elevator is a critical factor in establishing the timing. 

Had Belin given her the time trial she so earnestly wanted, it would appear she would have not included the visit to the passenger elevator in such a time trial. And so what good would such a time trial be if she couldn't even remember where she went on her run of Nov 22nd 1963.

The only thing clear about Styles' story is that she was much less certain of the details than Adams, and readily admitted that confusion and lack of memory when asked about it years later. The murder was important to Vicki, and she pursued it as much as she could over the years. It was not to Styles. 

It is *not* clear that she tells a "very different story" than Adams. She was all over the map and, according to Ernest, she ultimately deferred to Adams, whose idea it was to take off to find out what happened.

Sean Murphy talked to Styles several times starting in 2002 and after Ernest's book came out, because he initially thought Ernest may have distorted what Styles told him  Here is his conclusion:  "I would like to apologise to Barry Ernest for having on a previous occasion called his integrity as a researcher into question. The gap between what Sandra has told me and what Barry says she told him is not at all as large as I had alleged. My apologies, Barry."

I don't know what Styles told WC staff when they questioned her.  But if she could clearly contradict Adams' story about the timing, at that time when her memory was clear, don't you think they would have had her testify (and maybe not even called Adams), instead of having to rely on their lie about S&L to discredit Adams?

You also ignore their supervisor, Dorothy Garner, who corroborates Adams' story about when they left.  Presumably as their supervisor she would have been aware of their whereabouts.

On 1/8/2024 at 12:55 PM, Roger Odisio said:

On 1/8/2024 at 3:15 PM, Roger Odisio said:
The only thing clear about Styles' story is that she was much less certain of the details than Adams, and readily admitted that confusion and lack of memory when asked about it years later. The murder was important to Vicki, and she pursued it as much as she could over the years. It was not to Styles. 

It is *not* clear that she tells a "very different story" than Adams. She was all over the map and, according to Ernest, she ultimately deferred to Adams, whose idea it was to take off to find out what happened.

Sean Murphy talked to Styles several times starting in 2002 and after Ernest's book came out, because he initially thought Ernest may have distorted what Styles told him  Here is his conclusion:  "I would like to apologise to Barry Ernest for having on a previous occasion called his integrity as a researcher into question. The gap between what Sandra has told me and what Barry says she told him is not at all as large as I had alleged. My apologies, Barry."

I don't know what Styles told WC staff when they questioned her.  But if she could clearly contradict Adams' story about the timing, at that time when her memory was clear, don't you think they would have had her testify (and maybe not even called Adams), instead of having to rely on their lie about S&L to discredit Adams?

You also ignore their supervisor, Dorothy Garner, who corroborates Adams' story about when they left.  Presumably as their supervisor she would have been aware of their whereabouts.

Roger,

These two posts of yours provide an excellent summary of the facts regarding Victoria Adams', Sandra Styles', and Dorothy Garner's early statements. And how they relate to the post-assassination activities of Bell Shelley and Billy Lovelady.

Thanks for that.

As you said, Garner corroborates Adams' story. And therefore it is likely that Adams did come down the steps early, which proves that Oswald did not come down the steps at that time. Garner corroborates that point directly, given that she saw no Oswald descending the steps before her seeing Truly and Baker ascending them.

I want to add to these facts the following:

In order for Adams to have seen Shelley and Lovelady at the elevator when she did, the two of them could not have walked down Elm Street Extension to the railroad yard before entering the building, as that would have made their arrival too late for Adams to see them at the elevator. Rather, they must have reentered the TSBD through the front door where the steps are.

This is not a surprising thing for me because my work indicates that the two fellows seen walking toward the railroad yard in the Darnell film could not have been Shelley and Lovelady... for a number of reasons that I won't go into here, except to note that the Darnell Film shows Lovelady still standing on the steps when he was supposed to be walking toward the railroad yard. (Tommy Graves and I identified him in Darnell years ago.)

The most important point I want to make, is that Roger's conclusion about Shelley and Lovelady NOT walking to the railroad yard is supported by the Darnell Film.

As a matter of fact, Roger's conclusion is not only consistent with Darnell, but also with Bill Shelley's and Billy Lovelady's first-day statements. They are ALL consistent with one another.

That is in stark contrast to the WC testimonies of Shelley and Lovelady, where they claimed to  have waited three minutes on the steps after the shots, at which time a woman by the name of Gloria Calvery arrived and they began their trek to the railroad yard. Very little of that is consistent with what we see in the Darnell film and what was said in Shelley and Lovelady's first-day statements.

The bottom line is that Shelley's and Lovelady's three-minute wait at the steps, their walk to the railroad yard, and their TSBD reentry at the west door, were fabricated additions to their WC testimonies, the purpose of which was to discredit Victoria Adams. Once you remove that hokum from their stories, everything remaining (the films and statements) fit together perfectly.

Oh... and, of course, all this proves that the second floor encounter between Oswald and Officer Baker never occurred. [LATE EDIT: At least not shortly (~90 seconds) after the shooting. Other evidence indicates it never occurred.]

And with that fake story removed from the Oswald interrogation reports, his alibi of being outside watching the "P. Parade" (according to FBI Agent Hosty's handwritten notes) becomes possible. Which shows that his alibi was covered up by the WC.

It's a great to know that we now have a good understanding of what happened.

15 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

Roger,

These two posts of yours provide an excellent summary of the facts regarding Victoria Adams', Sandra Styles', and Dorothy Garner's early statements. And how they relate to the post-assassination activities of Bell Shelley and Billy Lovelady.

Thanks for that.

As you said, Garner corroborates Adams' story. And therefore it is likely that Adams did come down the steps early, which proves that Oswald did not come down the steps at that time. Garner corroborates that point directly, given that she saw no Oswald descending the steps before her seeing Truly and Baker ascending them.

I want to add to these facts the following:

In order for Adams to have seen Shelley and Lovelady at the elevator when she did, the two of them could not have walked down Elm Street Extension to the railroad yard before entering the building, as that would have made their arrival too late for Adams to see them at the elevator. Rather, they must have reentered the TSBD through the front door where the steps are.

This is not a surprising thing for me because my work indicates that the two fellows seen walking toward the railroad yard in the Darnell film could not have been Shelley and Lovelady... for a number of reasons that I won't go into here, except to note that the Darnell Film shows Lovelady still standing on the steps when he was supposed to be walking toward the railroad yard. (Tommy Graves and I identified him in Darnell years ago.)

The most important point I want to make, is that Roger's conclusion about Shelley and Lovelady NOT walking to the railroad yard is supported by the Darnell Film.

As a matter of fact, Roger's conclusion is not only consistent with Darnell, but also with Bill Shelley's and Billy Lovelady's first-day statements. They are ALL consistent with one another.

That is in stark contrast to the WC testimonies of Shelley and Lovelady, where they claimed to  have waited three minutes on the steps after the shots, at which time a woman by the name of Gloria Calvery arrived and they began their trek to the railroad yard. Very little of that is consistent with what we see in the Darnell film and what was said in Shelley and Lovelady's first-day statements.

The bottom line is that Shelley's and Lovelady's three-minute wait at the steps, their walk to the railroad yard, and their TSBD reentry at the west door, were fabricated additions to their WC testimonies, the purpose of which was to discredit Victoria Adams. Once you remove that hokum from their stories, everything remaining (the films and statements) fit together perfectly.

Oh... and, of course, all this proves that the second floor encounter between Oswald and Officer Baker never occurred.

And with that fake story removed from the Oswald interrogation reports, his alibi of being outside watching the "P. Parade" (according to FBI Agent Hosty's handwritten notes) becomes possible. Which shows that his alibi was covered up by the WC.

It's a great to know that we now have a good understanding of what happened.

One small point.  All of this does not prove that the 2nd floor encounter never happened.  It proves it didn't happen *as the WC claimed*.  I.e., after Oswald came down the stairs from the 6th floor after shooting Kennedy.

It leaves open the possibility, as Andrej and Greg have discussed, that Oswald ran into Truly and Baker after going *up* the steps on his way out of the building.

But once it's clear Oswald did not come down the steps after the murder, I'm not sure it matters much whether the alleged encounter happened that way.  It's more of a minor detail.

My best guess is that the encounter was wholly fabricated as a way to situate Oswald in the building at the time, since they had no one who could directly place Oswald on the 6th floor.

22 hours ago, Gerry Down said:

At 17 minutes in on the interview Adams mentions a time of between 30 seconds to 1 minute. Its not clear if she is referring to the length of time she stayed at the window or the length of time it took her to exit the rear door from her position at the 4th floor window. 

There is a point in the interview where she is discussing the re-enactment that never happened, and says it would have shown whether her actions took five minutes or 30 seconds and a minute. Which I assumed was a weird way of saying ninety seconds. In any event, I took this as her recognizing that for her to beat Baker and Truly to the bottom of the stairs, she would have to have been downstairs within a minute and a half. I don't recall her ever giving an estimate for how long she stayed at the window. 

21 hours ago, Roger Odisio said:

Styles was featured on an episode of America Declassified: JFK Exclusive Access, in 2013. This was broadcast on the Travel Channel. In this episode, she basically served as a stand-in for Adams, i.e. she was there to raise doubts about Oswald's running down the stairs. She wouldn't have done that, IMO, if she was convinced Adams was wrong about the timing of their race down the stairs.