The Education Forum

LHO lookalikes? Come on! Stop the nonsense.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/12/2024 at 4:36 PM, Sandy Larsen said:

Ann & Nancy Wilson in an awesome tribute to Led Zeppelin. MUST SEE.

Excellent.  Never seen that this one.  Thanks Sandy. 

On 2/11/2024 at 11:52 PM, Ron Bulman said:

That was the best Super Bowl game ever.  As Kelce said,

CBS, most watched television event ever.

4 hours ago, Cliff Varnell said:

Brenda Lee

Big Mama Thornton

Great post, Cliff.  Love the instrumental ensemble and vocals of Big Mama Thornton here, which I had never heard.

Far superior to Elvis's version that we all know so well.

Oddly, this authentic sounding R&B number was written by the Caucasian song writers Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller.

And, since this is a 2024 Super Bowl thread, I should mention that Leiber & Stoller also wrote the R&B classic, Kansas City, which was a big hit for Wilbert Harrison back in 1959.  

The Beatles played the song, Kansas City, on Shindig in 1964, (too much teen screaming to enjoy that recording) and they also played it on Peter Jackson's Get Back documentary, during their Let It Be studio sessions in 1969.

I heard Paul McCartney perform Kansas City at Folsom Field in Boulder on his 1993 Paul Is Live tour (with Robbie McIntosh and Linda, who was, sadly, not long for this world.)

Several of those Folsom Field takes ended up on the Paul Is Live album, but I think the Kansas City track on the album was the take from Kansas City.

(Apologies, in advance, to 49er fans.)

Edited by W. Niederhut

Given the musical vibe of this thread.  One of my daughters sent me this.  Which I never knew of, despite knowing of the 13th floor elevators.  Great documentary on them available, not including this.  

Facebook

Which inspired me to find their first "hit" on fm radio before it was much of a thing, few/no commercials, from their first album.  Re done even slower, 50 years later in Gruene Hall, where my wife and I have danced.