The Education Forum

The JFK Assassination Records Act Discussion

22 hours ago, Sandy Larsen said:

That wasn't your first drawing was it??

Sandy...I took high school art.

Never went to college and never got back into drawing or painting afterwards except rarely a simple drawing or two every 5 to 10 years with a pencil or pen when I was bored.

I would doodle to entertain my kids when they got bored at night before bed. They liked seeing me draw animals like gorillas, horses, dogs, birds, etc.

So one night in 1997 (28 years after high school art) my kids were asking me again to draw something. My wife is a history major ( U.C Santa Barbara grad ) and we have always had lots of modern history books around. Many with photos.

I found one with photos of Jerry Garcia, Jim Morrison, Albert Einstein, Mother Theresa, a very young Leonardo DiCaprio, Debbie Harry ( Blondie), Paul Newman, a judge in the Nuremberg WWII trails, a prisoner there, a young father with his very young son hoisted on his shoulders, etc. All faces that inspired me. So, I jumped in and started rendering them on larger paper free hand. Many of the pictures in the book were quite small.

It is a trick to draw them in larger scale and keep their realism integrity.

And realistic portrait drawing is much more demanding than loose figure or landscape and architectural drawing imo.

I noticed I would go into a kind of trance when I drew. In this effort especially. 

I got so into this drawing mentality I lost all track of time! I drew all night and into the next day. Seriously, it's like my brain was operating on a different vibration level. Totally outside of my normal thoughts.

When I finally became exhausted with my brain trance effort I kind of collapsed. But I had about 10 decent renderings. I gave away my Debbie Harry ( Blondie ) drawing,  but now I wished I had kept it. I also gave away my original Jerry Garcia one as well.

I have never sketched again after that 1997 effort. I don't think I could do as well today at my late age anyway. Another member here wanted me to try a JFK sketch.

I went out and bought the drawing supplies, but too depressed to even begin. Having major surgery next week so it will be weeks before I can try again.

00505_h1vRXJZVR0L_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

00x0x_mL02KPcM1E_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

00i0i_kqj070lT8Tz_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

00101_edI2VJAq0wA_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

00101_bTDj3DgQwm9_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

00u0u_1AMXbkJeuhF_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

01313_a5XUEEgdVOX_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

Edited by Joe Bauer

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/6/2024 at 11:49 AM, Bill Fite said:

Very impressive sketches, Joe.

Thank you Bill.

I know that if I had seriously stayed with art right after high school I could have done well.

Didn't understand this at that young age however.

Edited by Joe Bauer

Sandy, I may try to do a JFK, Jackie or even RFK portrait sketch at some point after my major surgery recovery. We'll see how well my recover goes.

Edited by Joe Bauer

41 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Thank you Bill.

I know that if I had seriously stayed with art I could have done well.

Didn't understand this at a young age however.

Joe,

You are also a talented, descriptive writer.  I enjoyed reading your vivid, impressionistic essay about the Monterey Pop Festival today.

Thanks for sharing your work.

2 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

I watched the show Kirk.

Agree with everything you say.

Never followed Gabbard in the news so seeing her up close and listening to her speak really spooked me.

This woman was a Democrat? Ha!

Totally Trump centric.

She has the bearing and countenance of a hard-nosed female military boot camp drill instructor. She IS a Lt. Colonel in the National Guard? Figures.

Nice looking in a cold hard way. Not any softer feminine mannerisms and speaking tone.

Very arrogant and condescending acting.

Reminds me of other Republican women of the same tough talking dominatrix type make up.

Kelly Ann Conway, Marjorie Taylor Greene, Kristi Noem, Kerri Lake, and on and on.

Trump women all look, sound and act as if they could be tough prison guard matrons.  

Thanks Joe,

Everyone's right. Those are some talented sketches! When you get well, you should sit down and focus and do some more, and send them to us.

I know all of us could appreciate it, if you found the time and effort.

But it's your call!

On 7/6/2024 at 12:43 PM, W. Niederhut said:

Joe,

You are also a talented, descriptive writer.  I enjoyed reading your vivid, impressionistic essay about the Monterey Pop Festival today.

Thanks for sharing your work.

Thank you W. N.

You being highly educated in the mental health field, may I ask you if any general mental health assessments can in any measurable way be even suggestively contemplated or determined by one's artistic ability?

Edited by Joe Bauer

Joe,

Creativity is an interesting subject in psychology.   IMO, it's difficult to pigeonhole.

Some creative souls are profoundly happy and "healthy," and some suffer from mental health "disorders."

A surprising number of creative artists (and explorers, charismatic leaders, entrepreneurs, etc.) have manic-depressive tendencies.

My opinion is that bipolar genes are prevalent in the human population because they are associated (in "hyperthymic" temperaments) with creativity and risk-taking.  In more extreme phenotypes, people tend to crash and burn.

As for San Francisco, I share your admiration for America's most charming city.  I also like Vancouver.

Hey Joe.  I remember you talking about abandoning the forum several years ago, I encouraged you to stay.  Glad I did, you have progressed tremendously as a member.

I hope your surgery goes well and you have a quick full recovery.  Drawings such as yours of JFK, Jackie and RFK would be a treat.  

I think I've posted this before in relation to your SF/Monterey location.  No way intended as about your apparently loving and dedicated wife.  Get well soon.

6 hours ago, W. Niederhut said:

Some creative souls are profoundly happy and "healthy," and some suffer from mental health "disorders."

A surprising number of creative artists (and explorers, charismatic leaders, entrepreneurs, etc.) have manic-depressive tendencies.

I see. Thank you for enlightening me in this way.

1 hour ago, Ron Bulman said:

Hey Joe.  I remember you talking about abandoning the forum several years ago, I encouraged you to stay.  Glad I did, you have progressed tremendously as a member.

I hope your surgery goes well and you have a quick full recovery.  Drawings such as yours of JFK, Jackie and RFK would be a treat.  

I think I've posted this before in relation to your SF/Monterey location.  No way intended as about your apparently loving and dedicated wife.  Get well soon.

Ron, you did. I was so close to leaving the forum. I needed to hear from a kind soul who encouraged me to stay despite my feeling academically inadequate in the high plane JFKA research community.

Thanks for everything in this regards.

Joe B.

8 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Yes @Joe Bauer - best wishes and good luck on your surgery and recovery.

Maybe an instrumental version of Hey Joe works better?

18 hours ago, Joe Bauer said:

00505_h1vRXJZVR0L_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

00x0x_mL02KPcM1E_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

00i0i_kqj070lT8Tz_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

00101_edI2VJAq0wA_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

00101_bTDj3DgQwm9_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

00u0u_1AMXbkJeuhF_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

01313_a5XUEEgdVOX_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

OMG Joe, those are incredible drawings! And with only high school art class... you definitely have a natural talent.

I think you may be just as good an artist as my great grandfather (John Heber Stansfield) was. He was famous in his day and actually made a living selling his art.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpLPtAZdnYm1oqdtJ_SII

Self Portrait

Springville Museum of Art

On 6/30/2024 at 5:43 AM, W. Niederhut said:

Cliff,

Biden's good work as POTUS (with a few exceptions, like the JFK records blockade and Gaza) isn't really the issue right now, IMO.

Does he look like a man who can effectively serve another four year term in a highly demanding executive job?

Anyone who thinks so is in denial. 

William, I stand corrected.

Olivia Nuzzi is an excellent journalist.  Joe's gotta go.

Harris-Shapiro '24.