The Education Forum

Should FBI Agent James Hosty be solely blamed for the murder of John F. Kennedy

Terry Adams

On 2/25/2019 at 1:31 PM, David Von Pein said:

So it's really Tip O'Neill's quote, right? O'Neill quoting O'Donnell?

I'd love to have heard that quote coming straight from O'Donnell's mouth, to see how it might have differed from "The O'Neill Version".

Think there might be a tad bit of difference?

FWIW....

Quoting from a Usenet Newsgroup post....

---Quote On:---

"O'Donnell vehemently denied ever telling O'Neill that.

"The story is an absolute lie…whoever gave that story is lying. It’s an absolute, outright lie." – Kenneth O’Donnell, Chicago Tribune, June 15, 1975.

But I guess he lied about lying? To help cover up the murder of the president and his close friend?

The number of people that you conspiracists are willing to accuse of crimes is stunning. Not just ordinary people but JFK's closest friends."

-- Steve M. Galbraith

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.assassination.jfk/8dcckSI7ntI/nAzODCzOBQAJ

Edited by David Von Pein

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Terry Adams said:

The fact that Hosty did not take his job seriously enough to, at least, verify where Oswald was on November 22, 1963 says that it is possible to place the blame for the assassination squarely at his feet!

Hi Terry. Great question! I have pondered this myself.

Even after reading Hosty's book, Assignment:Oswald, I would have to say that Hosty was somewhat lacking in terms of his investigative skills. Although Hosty clearly lays the blame for his not pursuing Oswald more aggressively at the feet of the CIA, one must consider that at this time Hosty also had, as part of his case load, a file on Edwin Walker. As I'm sure you are aware, an attempt had been made on Walker's life seven months prior.

I look at it this way... Hosty had files on both Walker and Oswald. Walker, a right-wing John Birch Society leader living in the deep south was shot at. What kind of individual in this part of our country in 1963 would have a motive for attempting such an act?

Assuming Hosty had read the files, and a local news paper or two, it should not have been much of a stretch for him to put two and two together, especially when you consider the timing of Oswald's sudden departure from Dallas to New Orleans. And when Oswald gets to New Orleans his activities there become acutely more overt. Not to mention that after his arrest in New Orleans he requests, and is granted, an interview with the FBI.

IMO, by the time Oswald had returned to Dallas he should have been "a person of interest" in the Walker shooting attempt. But like everyone else here, that's just my two cents worth. 

Regards,

Craig C.

6 hours ago, Terry Adams said:

To what extent Oswald was involved, as Pamela indicates, cannot be fully known, but I concur that had he been watched, or better yet, brought in for questioning, we could very well have had a different outcome on that day.  As everyone here know, the feelings on Oswald's involvement cover the whole spectrum, from patsy to shooter.  I do not think that we can patently say that he had nothing to do with the assassination.  

I think we all know who the guy you are referring to who thinks he is the assassin.  And maybe one other--Parnell.  (FC left)

If one believes, as most people here do, that Oswald was an FBI informant, then I think the lapses Hosty made are not really lapses.

BTW, after Hosty was transferred to Kansas City, he allegedly told Carver Gayton that such was the case.

Oswald was an informant.  

5 hours ago, James DiEugenio said:

I think we all know who the guy you are referring to who thinks he is the assassin.  And maybe one other--Parnell.  (FC left)

If one believes, as most people here do, that Oswald was an FBI informant, then I think the lapses Hosty made are not really lapses.

Do you believe Oswald told Hosty of a plot and Hosty ignored it or didnt take him serious enough to do something?

48 minutes ago, John Kozlowski said:

Do you believe Oswald told Hosty of a plot and Hosty ignored it or didnt take him serious enough to do something?

In my opinion, very possibly. I don’t think he was complaining about harassment of Marina

I've heard btw that Hosty hung out with Robert Allen Surrey and Edwin Walker. True?

51 minutes ago, John Kozlowski said:

I personally always thought that. Also wasn't Oswald potentially an informant for the Miami or Chicago plots? Either Hosty didn't take him seriously or was told to ignore Oswald.

On 2/25/2019 at 12:30 PM, Terry Adams said:

The fact that Hosty did not take his job seriously enough to, at least, verify where Oswald was on November 22, 1963 says that it is possible to place the blame for the assassination squarely at his feet!

As you know, I don't think LHO was an assassin.  However, I will say that when I spoke with Hosty I was really disappointed that he didn't seem to want to talk about LHO, and seemed to have little interest in him.  So, yes, I would have to agree that, one way or another, Hosty did not show enough responsibility for LHO and for where he was on 11.22.63.  

25 minutes ago, Derek Thibeault said:

I personally always thought that. Also wasn't Oswald potentially an informant for the Miami or Chicago plots? Either Hosty didn't take him seriously or was told to ignore Oswald.

I always believed he was told to ignore him myself. As an Irish catholic and a democrat you'd think he was a supporter of Kennedy. Ive read other agents would tease him or make comments about him liking Kennedy. That could have been said just to cover himself though. 

There are two pieces of evidence that would seem to indicate that Oswald was trying to inform the FBI of two different plots on JFK.

The first was in the stunning piece of reportage by Edwin Black about the Chicago plot.  If you have not read that article it is a must read.  You can find it by searching for Edwin Black: The Plot to Kill Kennedy in Chicago.  All you need to know about its quality is that Bugliosi did not want anyone to read it.

The second piece is the Walter telex that an FBI employee, who later became a bank president, reconstructed for Jim Garrison.  This one jibes with a Dallas plot.  It is on page 221 of On the Trail of the Assassins. Garrison tries to link this to the C. A. Hamblen lead about Oswald at Western Union. Of course, the WC termed this a figment of the man's imagination.

I also find it interesting what Wade told McBride.  He said LHO had been to the FBI office just a couple of days before the assassination. (P. 409)

Edited by James DiEugenio

1 hour ago, John Kozlowski said:

That's an interesting idea.  I don't see LHO as an informant, and I don't think he knew about the plot.  If he had, he would have taken better steps to protect himself.  

Just now, John Kozlowski said:

I always believed he was told to ignore him myself. As an Irish catholic and a democrat you'd think he was a supporter of Kennedy. Ive read other agents would tease him or make comments about him liking Kennedy. That could have been said just to cover himself though. 

It was my impression that Hosty had no interest in JFK other than to get the albatross of the assassination off his neck.

11 minutes ago, Pamela Brown said:

That's an interesting idea.  I don't see LHO as an informant, and I don't think he knew about the plot.  If he had, he would have taken better steps to protect himself.  

I 100% believe he was an informant gathering info on exile groups for the FBI and the CIA. They used him and he didnt realize it until it was too late. The expression he makes when the reporter tell him he's been charged with killing the president says it all 

Edited by John Kozlowski