The Education Forum

Should FBI Agent James Hosty be solely blamed for the murder of John F. Kennedy

Terry Adams

“I told the FBI what I had heard [two shots from behind the grassy knoll fence], but they said it couldn’t have happened that way and that I must have been imagining things. So I testified the way they wanted me to. I just didn’t want to stir up any more pain and trouble for the family.”

– Kennedy aide Kenneth O’Donnell, quoted by House Speaker Thomas P. “Tip” O’Neill Jr. in “Man of the House,” p. 178. O’Donnell was riding in the Secret Service follow-up car with Dave Powers, who was present and told O’Neill he had the same recollection.  (this is a post made by Goban Saor on the 'Reopen the Kennedy Case' forum)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's really Tip O'Neill's quote, right? O'Neill quoting O'Donnell?

I'd love to have heard that quote coming straight from O'Donnell's mouth, to see how it might have differed from "The O'Neill Version".

Think there might be a tad bit of difference?

Edited by David Von Pein

47 minutes ago, Terry Adams said:

The fact that Hosty did not take his job seriously enough to, at least, verify where Oswald was on November 22, 1963 says that it is possible to place the blame for the assassination squarely at his feet!

Terry, was there any more dangerous threat person that Hosty was inclined to check on versus Castro loving Oswald on that day?

53 minutes ago, David Von Pein said:

So it's really Tip O'Neill's quote, right? O'Neill quoting O'Donnell?

I'd love to have heard that quote coming straight from O'Donnell's mouth, to see how it might have differed from "The O'Neill Version".

Think there might be a tad of difference?

Well David,

More folks than Tip O'Neill claimed to have heard directly from Dave Powers and Kenny O'Donnell that those two men heard and witnessed shots from the Grassy Knoll, but then, for various reasons, were willing to go along with the government-narrative:

Hosty went once to the SS office in November 1963 in Dallas to give them information related to JFK’s visit. There he was told by agent Mike Howard “Don’t worry, James, we’ve got everything under control!” Hosty took it that the SS didn’t give a damn about what the FBI had. If the SS had been more open minded, Hosty may have had told them about Oswald. I don’t know.

7 hours ago, Terry Adams said:

The fact that Hosty did not take his job seriously enough to, at least, verify where Oswald was on November 22, 1963 says that it is possible to place the blame for the assassination squarely at his feet!

What did Oswald have to do with the shooting of JFK?

When I spoke with Hosty it was my distinct impression that JEH was trying to pin the assassination squarely on him.  Hosty was also sent to the hinterlands after the assassination, as a mark of Hoover's disapproval.  So Hosty was definitely considered by the FBI to have been at the very center of the event.  I would agree that he did not, at the very least, have his antennae out as to something unusual going on around the Oswalds.  But, since I consider LHO the patsy, not an assassin, how could Hosty be blamed for not sizing that up correctly?  

On the other hand, if he had taken LHO's note seriously, and Marina's KGB stepfather, not to mention the White Russians, such as George deM, who surrounded the Oswalds when they lived in Ft. Worth/Dallas, he might have caught wind of the actual plot itself, not unlike SA Coleen Rowley and 9-11 (although she was on track to exposing that event before it happened, but was prevented by her superiors from following up on her hunches).  Wouldn't that have been exciting? And then, Hosty might have ended up a hero.

24 minutes ago, James DiEugenio said:

What did Oswald have to do with the shooting of JFK?

Some believe he was out on the front steps observing it, with his supervisor Bill Shelly, and, his ride that morning, Wesley Buell Fraizer.  But Fraizer denies it. 

Ron:

When Al Rossi showed Frazier the picture in 2014 at the AARC Conference, that is not what he said.  At that time Frazier said that the picture was not clear enough for him.

1 hour ago, Denis Morissette said:

Hosty went once to the SS office in November 1963 in Dallas to give them information related to JFK’s visit. There he was told by agent Mike Howard “Don’t worry, James, we’ve got everything under control!” Hosty took it that the SS didn’t give a damn about what the FBI had. If the SS had been more open minded, Hosty may have had told them about Oswald. I don’t know.

The Secret Service didn't give a Damn what the FBI had?  Bingo.  Some of them knew what was going on or it wouldn't have happened.  Details in Vince Palamara's book. Though he just alludes to it.  Leaving one to figure it out for themselves, which is a good thing.  

Why was Agent Ready recalled from his step onto the ground from the right running board in response to his reaction to a  shot.  An attempt to do his job, something he swore to do, to protect the President

To what extent Oswald was involved, as Pamela indicates, cannot be fully known, but I concur that had he been watched, or better yet, brought in for questioning, we could very well have had a different outcome on that day.  As everyone here know, the feelings on Oswald's involvement cover the whole spectrum, from patsy to shooter.  I do not think that we can patently say that he had nothing to do with the assassination.