The Education Forum

JFKA Forum Journals of the Plague Year?

Wow!

What a dynamic, testosterone pumping video of James Brown above!

Edited by Joe Bauer

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what criteria was established pages ago, but here's my submission.  And it's somewhat contemporaneous with the subject of this forum, not to mention in line with current events, so it's practically on topic.  

Will South Dakota's Governor Kristi Noem have to go into quarantine because she met with Don Jr's virus infected girlfriend Kimberly Guilfoyle in the last two days?

wow, Kirk, you were at the TAMI show. I saw the film of it back in the early '80s and long have had the DVD. such a great lineup - also, trivia, the actress Teri Garr was one of the background dancers. if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, props to Mick Jagger to borrow from the best. He incorporated James Brown's moves into his stage manner, just as he had incorporated Little Richard's yelps. I'm not sure the Stones' postponed tour will ever happen due to the persistence of the virus. The NBA and MLB players are having issues in Florida - like testing negative before travelling there and then positive six days later despite being in a "bubble". 

In his Mount Rushmore rally did DT at all mention the historical respect preservation of our great American hero General George Armstrong Custer and the event of over one third of Custer's entire regiment being wiped out by the very Indian tribe protesting his PR stunt visit to their sacred homeland ... the Lakota Sioux?

There aren't any statues of Custer there...are there?

William, I always liked Chauncey Billups! And I liked his name!

Dave it sounds like that was made by disgruntled Viet Nam war vets. Which is cool. But they don't spare the despair. A couple of cuts to grizzly Zapruder! Don't like Hanoi Jane!

I looked it up, it was July 28th, 1968  at Frost Amplitheatre on the Stanford campus. When I saw the Chambers Brothers, they also stole the show from the final act Quicksilver Messenger Service.This was the card: opening Credence Clearwater, I had never heard of them. Sons of Chaplain, Santana (local, who hadn't gone national yet) Chambers Brothers (shook hands with them afterward) and Quicksilver.

https://www.setlist.fm/festival/1968/stanford-summer-rock-festival-1968-73d6f689.html

Joe, I remember those junior high dances. Girls on one side, boys on the other. Not much dancing. Both sort of frozen in place. Everyone was pretty insecure. When I started dancing I was kind of awkward  and  borrowed from every source. Some guys were laughing at me. But they never danced. Later I realized it was quality rather than quantity, and I started learning to be more cool,  and picking one style and delving into it. Then I started actually tuning into what my partner was doing, Duh!!!! And trying to create  something together. It took me all the way until I was in my  30's, before I realized I could kind of shake em' down! heh heh

Kirk, I love Sam Cooke! I loved Chain Gang, Wonderful World and of course, Bring it on Home to Me.

Some black male female duos. Otis Redding and Carla Thomas. "Tramp"

https://youtu.be/wP7VU6AVIgc

Brook Benton who was a little  reminiscent of Nat Cole, but more rock, and Dinah Washington,

You've Got What it Takes

https://youtu.be/37cH9khXYdM

Rockin' Good Way

https://youtu.be/RkTjhvB23W4?t=4

Marvin Gaye and Tina Turner    -I'll be Doggone/ Money

Jeff to be clear, I saw the movie of the TAMI show when it first came out. It was great!

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

1 hour ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Jeff to be clear, I saw the movie of the TAMI show when it first came out. It was great!

OK - but "you falsely claimed to have attended the live TAMI show" will be my go-to retort for the next while should you lecture me yet again re: US politics.

2 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Ron,

I've got nothing against the Boss, but I prefer the Cheech and Chong version here.

Among other things, it brought back some Mariachi memories from Mexico.

(BTW, if you're ever dining in a restaurant where a Mariachi band is strolling from table to table serenading the guests, DO NOT request the ranchero classic, "Volver!"  If you do, the trumpet player will blow out your ear drums.)

2 hours ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Dave it sounds like that was made by disgruntled Viet Nam war vets. Which is cool. But they don't spare the despair. A couple of cuts to grizzly Zapruder! Don't like Hanoi Jane!

I just put that up because of the photos.  "Time Has Come Today" (short version, 1967) was one of my favorite songs as a kid, heard on the mighty CKLW 800 AM, whose wattage was large enough to reach from Detroit to me in Buffalo, and also to Chicago and St. Louis.

That video has been up since 2010.  Did Spike Lee cop it for the trailer for Da 5 Bloods?  It's a good movie, and would be excellent July 4 viewing:

27 minutes ago, Cliff Varnell said:

David, you and I put our Spike Lee posts together at the same time. Gonna take your advice, got Da 5 Bloods cued up!

It's a good movie, but this is my personal favorite Spike Lee scene.  Skip ahead to Rosie Perez starting @0:37.

Those Mary Janes, though!

Did you like "Da  5 Bloods", Dave?

Hey , have you guys seen "Have a Good Trip" on Netflix? it is probably the coolest movie I've seen about Psychedelics. A lot of celebrities, talk about their experience on psychedelics, including Rosie Perez who was slipped some acid unknowingly. Ben Stiller takes it once and starts freaking and phoning his Dad! Of course who could be more enlightening about psychedelics than Sting? Pfffffff!

Jeff, I'm not sure how you confused this, but these were my words below, even down to matinee. It was movie, that had recently come out.

"I went to see the TAMI show in a a matinee with a friend."

Edited by Kirk Gallaway